The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Albert stern cottages information and pictures

If you're like me last year and you recieved your offer for Albert Stern Cottages and were desperately looking for pictures and more information this post may help. Unfortunately, when i recieved my offer there was literally nothing about the cottages online and when i asked i was told there were virtual tours online. This wasnt the case as they only had info on the house not the cottages. I vowed never to let anyone go through that ordeal again so here are some pics!!!

Accomodation wise, the cottages are split up into 4 blocks with around 4 rooms in each. You all share one large kitchen with 14 people (or more). The rooms are really spacious which was rockin but they are pretty squalid haha. I had a downstairs room and there was paint peeling, stains on the carpet and the door handle was falling off (which i got fixed, so whoevers in C1 can thank me!). Met a lot of nice people there though and was all quite close. Right outside your door there is a large jewish graveyard which is kind of spooky but its alright. The graveyard is also frequented every fortnight by an inconsiderate lawn mower that doesnt stop for like 4 hours so be expected to be woken up at 7 some mornings. The residence services were also very unhelpful when we asked for basic requests so be sure to pester them a lot if you actually want something done. We had a group of guys break into our area (not into the actual houses) and it took them over a month to secure the door to prevent it happening again which wasnt ideal!

But dont let that put you off because i had a thoroughly enjoyable time there! The big rooms, balcony, socialness etc makes it worthwhile haha.
Reply 1
IMG_0089.jpg
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by omcm
If you're like me last year and you recieved your offer for Albert Stern Cottages and were desperately looking for pictures and more information this post may help. Unfortunately, when i recieved my offer there was literally nothing about the cottages online and when i asked i was told there were virtual tours online. This wasnt the case as they only had info on the house not the cottages. I vowed never to let anyone go through that ordeal again so here are some pics!!!

Accomodation wise, the cottages are split up into 4 blocks with around 4 rooms in each. You all share one large kitchen with 14 people (or more). The rooms are really spacious which was rockin but they are pretty squalid haha. I had a downstairs room and there was paint peeling, stains on the carpet and the door handle was falling off (which i got fixed, so whoevers in C1 can thank me!). Met a lot of nice people there though and was all quite close. Right outside your door there is a large jewish graveyard which is kind of spooky but its alright. The graveyard is also frequented every fortnight by an inconsiderate lawn mower that doesnt stop for like 4 hours so be expected to be woken up at 7 some mornings. The residence services were also very unhelpful when we asked for basic requests so be sure to pester them a lot if you actually want something done. We had a group of guys break into our area (not into the actual houses) and it took them over a month to secure the door to prevent it happening again which wasnt ideal!

But dont let that put you off because i had a thoroughly enjoyable time there! The big rooms, balcony, socialness etc makes it worthwhile haha.

That's really awesome! Your rooms look huge! Are those rooms for undergraduates or postgraduates?

I think I got accommodation in the house, but I'm not sure if it is the house or cottages. From your photos, I'd prefer the cottages, haha
If you don't mind me asking, what type of accommodation Is it? (Ensuite or single room?)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by M502
That's really awesome! Your rooms look huge! Are those rooms for undergraduates or postgraduates?

I think I got accommodation in the house, but I'm not sure if it is the house or cottages. From your photos, I'd prefer the cottages, haha
If you don't mind me asking, what type of accommodation Is it? (Ensuite or single room?)

Theyre for undergraduates but i had a student doing a masters living opposite me! The house tends to be single sex and is a lot less dirty i feel haha but the cottages definitely have a nice vibe, a few people moved from the house to the cottages because the rooms are mahoosive!
Its not en suite unfortunately but you only share a toilet with 4 other people and have a sink in your room so its not all bad
Reply 4
Original post by omcm
Theyre for undergraduates but i had a student doing a masters living opposite me! The house tends to be single sex and is a lot less dirty i feel haha but the cottages definitely have a nice vibe, a few people moved from the house to the cottages because the rooms are mahoosive!
Its not en suite unfortunately but you only share a toilet with 4 other people and have a sink in your room so its not all bad

That's really great to know, omg. How easy is it to change rooms, I'd probably try to move, haha.

In general,are there ever empty rooms or is all accommodation completely occupied? (I'd assume it is really full)
If you don't mind me asking, do you have any tips on what kind of essential stuff to bring (especially if your place is small and you gotta prioritise)
Reply 5
Original post by M502
That's really great to know, omg. How easy is it to change rooms, I'd probably try to move, haha.

In general,are there ever empty rooms or is all accommodation completely occupied? (I'd assume it is really full)
If you don't mind me asking, do you have any tips on what kind of essential stuff to bring (especially if your place is small and you gotta prioritise)

there were 3-4 empty rooms in the cottages!

Not sure about stuff to bring really, i just brought clothes, study stuff and instruments really! The albert stern house rooms are smaller though so you need to factor that in
You are a lifesaver! I've been worrying about this since getting my offer and even considered going into private accommodation! I had the exact same experience with Housing Services, definitely felt a little bit abandoned by them if I'm being honest? But ah well, I'm sure they're very busy. Loving the fairy lights in your room by the way, aha! I'm in A103, my gut tells me that's on the ground floor but I'm really not all that sure to be honest, I don't suppose you know anything about that flat? Thank you again so so much for this!

Also, hey to you fellow Albert Stern person! Even if you're in the house and not the cottages, I'm sure you can come hang at ours if it isn't great~ x
Reply 7
Original post by serenajade
You are a lifesaver! I've been worrying about this since getting my offer and even considered going into private accommodation! I had the exact same experience with Housing Services, definitely felt a little bit abandoned by them if I'm being honest? But ah well, I'm sure they're very busy. Loving the fairy lights in your room by the way, aha! I'm in A103, my gut tells me that's on the ground floor but I'm really not all that sure to be honest, I don't suppose you know anything about that flat? Thank you again so so much for this!

Also, hey to you fellow Albert Stern person! Even if you're in the house and not the cottages, I'm sure you can come hang at ours if it isn't great~ x

Haha I did exactly the same! The whole A block is upstairs so you'll be fine :smile: If I remember a103 correctly there's a little window leading out onto a balcony type thing if you can get the lock off haha and v tall ceilings! Not as big as the other cottages rooms but still bigger than normal student accommodation, has more character too!
I've been trying to upload more pics but my internets been really bad, but I will at some point so watch this spa lce
Reply 8
Original post by serenajade

Hello other fellow Albert Stern person! On the email I got, it says I'm in "Ash Cot A102, Albert Stern House Building", so I don't know if they mean the building or a cottage. Either way, I'm excited to get there!
What are you studying?

Question for omcm, is that a mini fridge there? I tend to travel with a lot of food and a mini fridge would make me so happy, haha. I would love to see pictures of what the cottages look like from the outside, but I know we'll be there soon enough to see anyways!
Reply 9
Original post by M502
Hello other fellow Albert Stern person! On the email I got, it says I'm in "Ash Cot A102, Albert Stern House Building", so I don't know if they mean the building or a cottage. Either way, I'm excited to get there!
What are you studying?

Question for omcm, is that a mini fridge there? I tend to travel with a lot of food and a mini fridge would make me so happy, haha. I would love to see pictures of what the cottages look like from the outside, but I know we'll be there soon enough to see anyways!

It is indeed a mini fridge, v good for storage! I'll try and upload a pic i took from the graveyard tonight
Reply 10
Original post by omcm
It is indeed a mini fridge, v good for storage! I'll try and upload a pic i took from the graveyard tonight

Awesome! I'm so glad!
Sorry for so many questions, but what was the kitchen situation like? Did everyone have enough room for their things in the kitchen (like pots/pans/crockery) or did you have to kind of store them in your room?

And awesome, I'd love to see more pictures!
Reply 11
are the cottages more expensive than the house?
Do rooms face the cemetery? I've been offered Albert Stern Cottages but my mum is Chinese and this kind of thing is considered very bad luck in her culture, so naturally she is extremely hesitant in letting me stay there if the housing is facing the graveyard. I hope this thread is still active! Anyone, HELP!
Do rooms face the cemetery? I've been offered Albert Stern Cottages but my mum is Chinese and this kind of thing is considered very bad luck in her culture, so naturally she is extremely hesitant in letting me stay there if the housing is facing the graveyard. I hope this thread is still active! Anyone, HELP! I'm in room C002 if this helps.
Reply 14
Hello! Unfortunately I can’t remember if your room faces the cemetery; there is unfortunately a high chance it does? From what I remember, the cottages kind of wrap around the cemetery. However, there's a barrier across the cottages (like a tall fence) - you cannot access/enter the cemetery. But potentially if you contact online they might let you see the rooms and make your decision? There is the option of the Albert stern house and you can potentially swap with students if they agree (I remember cottage rooms were more spacious than the house, but not by too much. Plus they had mini fridges).

I'm a student who was at QM like 3,4 years ago? I got email notified all these years later, gosh. So some things might have changed. But I doubt it and the cemetery isn't going anywhere.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Liten
Hello! Unfortunately I can’t remember if your room faces the cemetery; there is unfortunately a high chance it does? From what I remember, the cottages kind of wrap around the cemetery. However, there's a barrier across the cottages (like a tall fence) - you cannot access/enter the cemetery. But potentially if you contact online they might let you see the rooms and make your decision? There is the option of the Albert stern house and you can potentially swap with students if they agree (I remember cottage rooms were more spacious than the house, but not by too much. Plus they had mini fridges).

I'm a student who was at QM like 3,4 years ago? I got email notified all these years later, gosh. So some things might have changed. But I doubt it and the cemetery isn't going anywhere.

Just messaging you here in case so it notifies you; I haven't used this site in ages and I forgot how it works, I answered your question in the thread somewhere. Wish you best of luck and if you have any more questions you can ask me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending