The Student Room Group

Driving test nerves :(

Hi guys, I had my last 2 hour lesson before my test this morning and I cant believe how bad I was!

My instructor was so shocked at the state of my driving that halfway through bribed me with a McDonald's breakfast if I snapped out of it! I managed to get us through the drive through to get a Coke though. :biggrin:

My test is this Sunday morning so I only have an hour lesson beforehand. My problem is nerves. I failed 1st time due to it. Sickness, palpitations, shaking legs. Thought I was going to black out. Never thought I'd react like that. Which meant I stalled 6 times making it a serious other than that 3 other minors. :sigh:

I feel like there must be a rational explanation for the nervousness, it irritates me knowing that I'm letting myself down and wasting money. Ive never dealt with this kind of crippling anxiousness before. Ugh so annoying.

So im hoping someone has some words of comfort, advice .. something. Anyone had a crap lesson beforehand and pulled it together for the test?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
haha if you get nervous on the road like that, god please help us if you do get a liscence
Reply 2
Try not to think of your test as such a big thing, perhaps? I know it seems scary at the time, but if you fail it you can always resit. As long as your driving is good enough, you'll get through it in the end.

Also, people who spent longer learning tend to have fewer accidents in the years immediately after passing their test than people who passed first time, so really you're just being extra careful :wink:
I had 4 minors on the same thing and still passed (10 minors all together). Usually 3 on the same thing and you'd fail.

My instructor told me that he knows a person that went up a kurb on a 70 mph road and still passed his test. The reason being is that examiners expect you to deal quickly and safely with any scenario you face.

If you show the examiner that you are in COMPLETE control of the car, then examiner discretion kicks in which could eventually help you pass your test.

I'm not saying you should go up a kurb on a 70 mph road, but I'm telling you that you should just stay focused and relaxed. We've all been in the same boat as you.
Reply 4
Original post by sek510i
Try not to think of your test as such a big thing, perhaps? I know it seems scary at the time, but if you fail it you can always resit. As long as your driving is good enough, you'll get through it in the end.

Also, people who spent longer learning tend to have fewer accidents in the years immediately after passing their test than people who passed first time, so really you're just being extra careful :wink:

I like your way of thinking. Thanks :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Pickles81
I like your way of thinking. Thanks :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. Good luck!
Reply 6
driving tests are horrible
I failed my first time with quite a bad score in my opinion - it was my fault though - I sucked at first, even with quite a lot of lessons - I'm just not a very confident driver
then on my second try, right off the bat I had to do a reverse park up a slope which I couldn't really see around, and I think they should have failed me because I did it pretty badly, but I'm guessing they were thinking sympathetically or something because I passed
I had a blank mind pretty soon after the reverse park though - it started to rain and I forgot which side of the wheel the wiper lever was and I indicated instead - I looked pretty stupid, but I just concentrated like **** for the rest of it and I was fine
Reply 7
My driving instructors just dropped a Paul McKenna relaxation CD through my letter box! Haha

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hopefully, second time lucky for me too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pickles81
Hi guys, I had my last 2 hour lesson before my test this morning and I cant believe how bad I was!

My instructor was so shocked at the state of my driving that halfway through bribed me with a McDonald's breakfast if I snapped out of it! I managed to get us through the drive through to get a Coke though. :biggrin:

My test is this Sunday morning so I only have an hour lesson beforehand. My problem is nerves. I failed 1st time due to it. Sickness, palpitations, shaking legs. Thought I was going to black out. Never thought I'd react like that. Which meant I stalled 6 times making it a serious other than that 3 other minors. :sigh:

I feel like there must be a rational explanation for the nervousness, it irritates me knowing that I'm letting myself down and wasting money. Ive never dealt with this kind of crippling anxiousness before. Ugh so annoying.

So im hoping someone has some words of comfort, advice .. something. Anyone had a crap lesson beforehand and pulled it together for the test?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have my first driving test this coming monday and I'm really nervous too. My instructor has told me that there was one pupil who racked up a couple of serious faults on the way to the test but still passed so that gives me a bit of hope - I doubt I will be that lucky though :tongue: also, the weather isn't looking too great so if it rains on the day I'll probably fail seeing as I've never driven in the rain before...
How did it go pickles?
Reply 11
Update: Failed

I failed for the same reason as the 1st time. Nerves and lack of confidence.

Stalled x4 making it a serious other than that 1 minor for Gears. However, all occured at the same point. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Look around on the roads. Lots of other motorists, not stressed.

Why shouldn't you be like them? Your all human and have the same capabilities.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending