The Student Room Group

Starting Acces to HE in Science

Hi everyone,

I am 34 years old and going to start an Acces to HE in science . After completing this diploma, I am planning to apply for Applied Biology BSc (Hons). Being a mature student , I am nervous about how am I going to cope studying after 15 years since I last graduated.

I am doing the introductory course to HE right now, and its all about refreshing our knowledge of maths and English. I was given an online link so I could revise maths, but there are so many topics to cover.

Also, how is the chemistry and physics going to be taught? To be honest, I really need to refresh my memory with all of the chemistry and physics.

It will be so grateful to hear about other people experiences doing this course and if I need to revise anything before starting.

Thanks.
Reply 1
I'm 34 & just completed the Access to HE. I think there are some differences among the different awarding bodies in course content & construction but I studied chemistry, biology, physics & psychology. In all the classes the first few lessons were real back to basics stuff so a nice gentle introduction. With chemistry, biology & physics we generally had a theory lesson followed by a practical lesson which really ingrained the theory. Ours was very well taught. The best advice I can give you is if you have exams rather than coursework (ours was a mixture) revise as you go along instead of cramming.

I did part time over 2 years while working, getting divorced, remarried & with 2 kids at home. I'm sure you'll be just fine! I finished with 45 distinctions & 15 merits (I did the old version with 60 credits) & I'm just waiting for my place to do BSc Medicinal Chemistry to be confirmed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Depending on where you go the teaching can vary but the access course for me was a struggle. The material was rarely taught well. This is not necesarrily because the teachers were bad but because of the time constraints. A whole topic like Calculus in 3 weeks? Since you're going the biology route then you don't have to worry much since that subject doesn't have many pre-requisites.

I recommend you learn your arithmetic and algebra now as algebra is mandatory. You can pick 15 units so maybe 6 biology, 6 chemistry, 1 math, and whatever else. Avoid anything you're not good at because you'll be self-teaching and figuring it out yourself most the time. This isn't so bad if you have good foundations but I didn't have them, except for maths.

The first units basically cover the GCSE's plus a little extra so if you got a B in your sciences and math you will be fine. As the year progresses new topics are introduced and important information is left out. They only cover the barebones so it is wise to self teach yourself the A levels when you're not burdened with assignments.

You will not survive the course if you're expecting to be spoonfed. You will need to get good at researching as you will need this to do well in your assignments. Also learn everyday as you go along because it's easy to fall behind. I played catch up in the half term several times.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Completed access he business management course 1 year course, today I got into uni doing multimedia computing at Coventry....

To be honest.....access to he was easy, I'm 21, I got 39 merit credits and 6 distinctions credits.

Just do the work, don't get behind
Best year of my life , would recommend it for anyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending