The Student Room Group

Would you be bothered about having a partner with mental health issues?

Research conducted by relationship charity OnePlusOne showed that 95% of people stayed with their partners when mental health problems were revealed.

Spoiler

How do you/would you cope with a partner having mental health difficulties and how do you support them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, I already date someone who has mental health issues, although she will not tell me exactly what they are (i know of previous problems) not really sure what I can do except wait until she raises it (if she ever does).
Wouldn't bother me at all.

Listen to what's going on, allow them to rant and listen to what they have to say for a start.
Reply 3
True love is unconditional.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yeah course
No I wouldn't bother me at all.
Loads of people experience mental health issues in way or another so it would put me off someone if I really cared about them.

I just think that if you love someone, their issues come as part of the package so either like it or lump it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
No I wouldn't be bothered about dating someone with mental health problems. I've had MH problems in the past myself and I know its been tough for my partner at times but he has stood by through it all.

Obviously in a perfect world it would be better to go with someone who has no physical or mental ailments but life isn't black and white and I wouldn't let any illnesses, physical or mental hold me back from being with someone if I truly did love and care for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
If I truly love him, I'd want to be with him in every phase of his life. I would support him.
Original post by BlindingLight
Wouldn't bother me at all.

Listen to what's going on, allow them to rant and listen to what they have to say for a start.

People with mental health issues are not simply ranting. They aren't necessarily telling you funny stories about the taxi driver overcharging or the person in the cinema laughing too loudly. The content of their anger might be absurd, irrational and something you cannot appreciate, and the extent of their emotions equally might be irrational. They might hate you one morning, feel a sincere feeling of hate and then say something to you which they know you're insecure which is designed to hurt you. It's a sheltered life you lead if you think being with someone who has bipolar, for example, is someone who just likes to have a rant.
Original post by callum_law
People with mental health issues are not simply ranting. They aren't necessarily telling you funny stories about the taxi driver overcharging or the person in the cinema laughing too loudly. The content of their anger might be absurd, irrational and something you cannot appreciate, and the extent of their emotions equally might be irrational. They might hate you one morning, feel a sincere feeling of hate and then say something to you which they know you're insecure which is designed to hurt you. It's a sheltered life you lead if you think being with someone who has bipolar, for example, is someone who just likes to have a rant.

unnecessary post.
Original post by BlindingLight
unnecessary post.

How do you work that out?
Most people will go through some kind of mental illness at some point in their life. If you really love someone you'll be there to help them through it.
Reply 12
Well seeing as though I suffer from MH issues, it would be pretty hypocritical of me if I was bothered lol. Although the stat that shows just under a quarter of people don't tell their partner about their MH issues is somewhat sad, if I couldn't be open and honest with my partner about my issues and difficulties then it would be a bit of a problem really.
It wouldn't bother me, I guess they'd be able to put with me as well :lol:
I would do my best to help them as much as I can, but it does depend on what the issue is. Depression is one thing, extreme schizophrenia is a entirely different thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Everybody has mental issues, I think. :dontknow:
*-*ce.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yep wouldn't bother me unless it manifested in a seriously detrimental way to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
having been there with people with some form of mental health issue.

I can honestly so. No, no way never again. And ive had my own issues in the past, and still wouldnt do it
Reply 19
Within reason I would stick with a long term (5+ years) serious partner who developed mental health issues once the relationship was well established

Otherwise no way. Been there, done that, got the scars, no chance I'm going through it again. I would be out of there.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending