The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

The LSU Societies Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by piglet33
Thanks for the reply, good to know there's a decent mix. At my undergrad I was able to be a student S&C coach for some of the AU teams, and I'd love to be able to get that sort of experience at Loughborough too. I looked at the coaching and volunteer scheme but it looks very aimed towards undergrads. Ideally I'd like something quite flexible which is why I haven't investigated the job vacancy route. Just figured I'd investigate various options before making a decision one way or the other.

Just thought, someone who may be able to help you more is Luke Thomson, the Executive Vice-President for Sport. He can be contacted via [email protected]
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 21
Original post by pizzanomics
Do you have any info on the polyglot society? There's nothing on the website. :frown:

Hello Pizzanomics!

I'm afraid I've been unsuccessful in contacting Polyglot's committee so far. I thought I'd update you since it's been about a week since you first asked. If I hear anything, I'll post back here straightaway.

In the meantime, which languages do you speak? Or are you looking to learn one? Is there anything else you find interesting? I might be able to point you in the direction of something relevant. For instance, there are extracurricular language courses at Loughborough. Depending on your specific course, you may also be able to take an optional language module at some point to count towards your degree. More information can be found on the Language Centre site. There are also cultural societies which are likely to be a draw to multilingual students. For instance, if you speak Spanish there is a Spanish Society, etc.

If you have any other interests I'll be quite happy to help you find something related to those. Sorry about the delay with answering your question!
Original post by LSUFever
Hello Pizzanomics!

I'm afraid I've been unsuccessful in contacting Polyglot's committee so far. I thought I'd update you since it's been about a week since you first asked. If I hear anything, I'll post back here straightaway.

In the meantime, which languages do you speak? Or are you looking to learn one? Is there anything else you find interesting? I might be able to point you in the direction of something relevant. For instance, there are extracurricular language courses at Loughborough. Depending on your specific course, you may also be able to take an optional language module at some point to count towards your degree. More information can be found on the Language Centre site. There are also cultural societies which are likely to be a draw to multilingual students. For instance, if you speak Spanish there is a Spanish Society, etc.

If you have any other interests I'll be quite happy to help you find something related to those. Sorry about the delay with answering your question!

No worries, it's fine! I assumed the lack of response meant that you had no other information :frown:

Obviously I'm a native English speaker, and I can speak German (did it at A Level), so I'd like to keep it up. I'm debating whether or not to do modules in it with my degree (sociology) but I'm kind of tired of studying it... If you do a language as part of your degree is it the same as doing it at A Level, except harder?

I'm also going to attempt to teach myself Finnish and I saw that there are facilities in the language centre to help me do this. Also I feel like the Scandinavian Society could help me get in touch with native Finns (if there even are any at Loughborough?) so that might be worth a try! Regardless I'd be game for the trip to IKEA :wink:

Other than German and Finnish I just have a general interest in languages anyway, I like learning a couple of words/phrases in as many languages as possible!

I guess the Model United Nations society seems kind of interesting. I've seen lots about MUN online but it seems too confusing :frown: Dodgeball is decent so that society would be interesting too I guess. I also looked at the Hot Air Balloon society after I saw the post about it in this thread and that seems like something I could get into too! I guess the best thing to do is to just wait until the activities fair :smile: Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Pizzanomics!

all this just means there are more folk to talk to! Just so happens I know the chair (or at least the ex-chairs) of MUN and hot air balloon. I shall ask them to head on over to this link and see if they can help you out any =]

as for the scandinavian society, i shall get in touch with the chair and see what she can do!

But yes indeed! I certainly look forward to seeing you at the societies bazaar =]
well, that was remarkably quick! just got a reply from the scandi soc, the ex chair is currently in japan for the year, but if you want to get in touch with the current chair (Erik Persson), the best way would be via [email protected]. if all else fails - their facebook group is https://www.facebook.com/groups/303060050458/ and you are more than welcome to join! the suggestion is to join the facebook group and see who would be willing to help you out with the language side of things

hope thats a good start into the year to come!
Reply 25
If you do a language as part of your degree is it the same as doing it at A Level, except harder?

There are different levels of language course aimed at different skill levels. For instance, I did a beginner's level 1 French module as I had not studied it previously, but others who had studied it to A Level would take a higher level module. The Languages Centre site I linked to previously should have more information ^_^

If you like Dodgeball, it might be worth looking at becoming a Beater for the Loughborough Longshots Quidditch Team!

Thanks LivingHistory! That was really fast ^_^
Original post by LivingHistory
well, that was remarkably quick! just got a reply from the scandi soc, the ex chair is currently in japan for the year, but if you want to get in touch with the current chair (Erik Persson), the best way would be via [email protected]. if all else fails - their facebook group is https://www.facebook.com/groups/303060050458/ and you are more than welcome to join! the suggestion is to join the facebook group and see who would be willing to help you out with the language side of things

hope thats a good start into the year to come!

Thank you! I'll drop him an email and see what he says. He might ask me to join the group and ask in there anyway, but for some reason I'd feel a little bit weird joining it right now... :P

This was really helpful thank you!

There are different levels of language course aimed at different skill levels. For instance, I did a beginner's level 1 French module as I had not studied it previously, but others who had studied it to A Level would take a higher level module. The Languages Centre site I linked to previously should have more information ^_^

If you like Dodgeball, it might be worth looking at becoming a Beater for the Loughborough Longshots Quidditch Team!

Thanks LivingHistory! That was really fast ^_^

Ahh okay, that makes sense! Hmmm.. Do you feel like you're back in school/college when you're doing French? I don't really know how to word that question.. I just didn't really like the way I was taught German in school/college as it was always made really boring :frown:

I will look into the Quidditch society, but I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan... :redface:

Thank again!
Reply 27
Ahh okay, that makes sense! Hmmm.. Do you feel like you're back in school/college when you're doing French? I don't really know how to word that question.. I just didn't really like the way I was taught German in school/college as it was always made really boring :frown:

I will look into the Quidditch society, but I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan... :redface:

Thank again!

To me it felt more relaxed than at school, and it kept me interested (but I liked Spanish at school, so maybe that doesn't mean much). I think it depends on your teacher. There's a two week grace period at the beginning of each semester where you can change your modules, timetable depending, so if you don't like it you can swap to something else if you're quick.

To be honest, you don't need to be a HP fan to play quidditch (several of the top players aren't haha). It's turned into an international sport in the last few years, with our players regularly attending events all over the country and sometimes internationally.
To me it felt more relaxed than at school, and it kept me interested (but I liked Spanish at school, so maybe that doesn't mean much). I think it depends on your teacher. There's a two week grace period at the beginning of each semester where you can change your modules, timetable depending, so if you don't like it you can swap to something else if you're quick.

To be honest, you don't need to be a HP fan to play quidditch (several of the top players aren't haha). It's turned into an international sport in the last few years, with our players regularly attending events all over the country and sometimes internationally.

Ah okay so a can 'try' it for a bit? That's alright then! It's good that you said it felt relaxed, that's the sort of atmosphere that I'd prefer :smile:

Oh really? I had no idea! I better do some research haha
Reply 29
Ah okay so a can 'try' it for a bit? That's alright then! It's good that you said it felt relaxed, that's the sort of atmosphere that I'd prefer :smile:

Oh really? I had no idea! I better do some research haha

Bear in mind that if you do choose to switch, you will be one or two weeks behind in your new module. It is also dependent on your timetable. So try not to be dependent on the option to change, but it is there should you really want to get out of a module.
Bear in mind that if you do choose to switch, you will be one or two weeks behind in your new module. It is also dependent on your timetable. So try not to be dependent on the option to change, but it is there should you really want to get out of a module.

Yeah I guessed that would be an issue. :frown:

I suppose I can always wait and see what the other optional modules are. If they don't tickle my fancy then I might as well go for the language because the interest is definitely there. :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 31
Hi,
So I was wondering if you had any information on the Judo club in Loughborough. I use to do Judo from the age of 13-18 years, but unfortunately had to give it up, when I did my undergrad, as they didn't have a club there. I was mostly wondering about costs for classes and how much the suit would cost. Thanks.
Hi, unfortunately, this is the societies thread, so you may not be able to find much about any of the sports (AU), clubs here. Your best bet would be to use the LSU website to find the judo team details / contact information there.

Sorry i wasnt of any more help!
Reply 33
Do you have any info on the polyglot society? There's nothing on the website. :frown:

I've just been informed that Polyglot is a completely new society, which is why it's difficult to find information on them. There should be a section of the Freshers' Bazaar dedicated to new societies, so they are likely to be found there.

Original post by sodon
Hi, So I was wondering if you had any information on the Judo club in Loughborough. I use to do Judo from the age of 13-18 years, but unfortunately had to give it up, when I did my undergrad, as they didn't have a club there. I was mostly wondering about costs for classes and how much the suit would cost. Thanks.

Hello Sodon!
I've contacted the Chair of Judo (Kasemi Chujor) and the Union ^_^ For any AU club, you pay a membership fee and an insurance payment to the Union. In addition to this you may need to buy sports kit and/or contribute to trips for competitions or training (clubs aim to subsidise trip costs if at all possible). In the case of judo, these are at the following costs:

AU membership (insurance): the Union is still finalising prices for this year, but I do not think it will be more than £20 (for the entire year) from what I have heard so far.

Judo membership: £70 for the year.

Judo stash: the prices have not yet been set but Kasemi thinks they will be priced at £30 for hoodies and £25 for sweatpants. These are not compulsory, however they are encouraged at competitions.

Gi: the club has a few spares for new people, but you'll be expected to eventually get your own. For example, Kasemi's is by Adidas and cost £90. There is a scheme with the British Judo Association (BJA) which can help you get a basic robe for £20-£30 (see below). He recommends buying a better one, though, as the basic ones tend to wear out more quickly. In his words: "Any aspiring Judoka would wish to purchase their own Gi" ^_^

Competitions & Events: Judo aims to help subsidise these with their Union grant money, but they will probably be priced on an event to event basis.

The impression I have got in my time here is that doing activities through the Union is almost always cheaper than doing the same things independently or through other groups. If you'd like more information on Judo, you can look at the AU introductory page here or go to their main page here. On their main page, look to the pink navigation bar to get around (I didn't understand this at first, so I realise it may not be the most intuitive layout).

Kasemi mentioned the BJA's Student Voucher Scheme. The site appears to be down at the moment, so I can't check for sure, but I suspect you can find more details on it here.

If you have any other questions you can ask here or contact Judo directly through their Facebook group. Specific email addresses can be found in the information tab on the right of the group page.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
I've just been informed that Polyglot is a completely new society, which is why it's difficult to find information on them. There should be a section of the Freshers' Bazaar dedicated to new societies, so they are likely to be found there.

Hello Sodon!
I've contacted the Chair of Judo (Kasemi Chujor) and the Union ^_^ For any AU club, you pay a membership fee and an insurance payment to the Union. In addition to this you may need to buy sports kit and/or contribute to trips for competitions or training (clubs aim to subsidise trip costs if at all possible). In the case of judo, these are at the following costs:

AU membership (insurance): the Union is still finalising prices for this year, but I do not think it will be more than £20 (for the entire year) from what I have heard so far.

Judo membership: £70 for the year.

Judo stash: the prices have not yet been set but Kasemi thinks they will be priced at £30 for hoodies and £25 for sweatpants. These are not compulsory, however they are encouraged at competitions.

Gi: the club has a few spares for new people, but you'll be expected to eventually get your own. For example, Kasemi's is by Adidas and cost £90. There is a scheme with the British Judo Association (BJA) which can help you get a basic robe for £20-£30 (see below). He recommends buying a better one, though, as the basic ones tend to wear out more quickly. In his words: "Any aspiring Judoka would wish to purchase their own Gi" ^_^

Competitions & Events: Judo aims to help subsidise these with their Union grant money, but they will probably be priced on an event to event basis.

The impression I have got in my time here is that doing activities through the Union is almost always cheaper than doing the same things independently or through other groups. If you'd like more information on Judo, you can look at the AU introductory page here or go to their main page here. On their main page, look to the pink navigation bar to get around (I didn't understand this at first, so I realise it may not be the most intuitive layout).

Kasemi mentioned the BJA's Student Voucher Scheme. The site appears to be down at the moment, so I can't check for sure, but I suspect you can find more details on it here.

If you have any other questions you can ask here or contact Judo directly through their Facebook group. Specific email addresses can be found in the information tab on the right of the group page.

Hey,
Thanks for the speedy reply. Yeah I have my old suit but it's most likely too small at this point and I think I'd need a new one anyways. I'll have a look at the links you attached. Thanks again.
Reply 35
Hi, I just want to know where exactly can you pay for Hall Subs and Freshers Packs online? Plus, is it compulsory to pay for them now?
Original post by ike96
Hi, I just want to know where exactly can you pay for Hall Subs and Freshers Packs online? Plus, is it compulsory to pay for them now?

Hi ike96

You pay Hall Subs which includes your freshers pack when you arrive, so no need to do it online first. However, if you do want to pay before you arrive you can do via LSU here.

Vicky
Reply 37
Original post by ike96

Since this isn't an extracurricular activity, I would have preferred if you had started a new thread (I check the Loughborough forum in general, too).

Once you have registered as a student, you can log into http://www.lsu.co.uk/ (there should be a pink log in button at the top of the page) to buy hall subs and memberships to any of the Sections (Societies, AU Clubs, Media, etc). More specifically, you can look here to find a link to your hall, where you can buy Hall Subs for the year. Your Fresher Pack is paid for by your Hall Subs, I believe, and you pick it up with your keys when you move in. You are generally expected to have paid by the end of the move-in day (some Halls specify before you pick up your keys) so I'd recommend doing it before you move to avoid delays.

If you have any questions about Societies or other extracurricular activities feel free to ask here. Otherwise, please start a new thread in future ^_^
Original post by LivingHistory
Hi, unfortunately, this is the societies thread, so you may not be able to find much about any of the sports (AU), clubs here. Your best bet would be to use the LSU website to find the judo team details / contact information there.

Sorry i wasnt of any more help!

Ahh LivingHistory and LSUFever is it that time of the year again already?
I can try and answer any AU club related questions you might have.
Reply 39
Original post by LboroArchery
Ahh LivingHistory and LSUFever is it that time of the year again already?
I can try and answer any AU club related questions you might have.

That'd be very helpful! I've been doing ok so far but it's always better to have someone around who knows these things first hand ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending