The Student Room Group

A level bilogy and chemistry self study?

hello,:smile:

Im looking to do self study Alevel biology and chemistry... I have seen a few links on the internet with companies offering this course to do in my own time. They want £300+...Im 32 and will need to get these alevels under my belt for med school application. Anyone have any ideas or recommendations? Or either point me in the direction of the right forum....

Any help would be much appreciated.:smile:
All depends on what you've done previously. You could look at the route of foundation year first - if you don't have the science A -levels.
Reply 2
I'm doing night classes at a local 6th form college in chemistry. There are people in my class who are also doing the bio night class as well.

You do the whole A-level in a year and it cost me £260 for the chemistry. I imagine it costs the same for biology.

Obviously doing night classes well help you learn as you actually have a teacher and you'll definitely cover all the material etc...

It's two nights a week for 3 hours each night (per subject).

If I was you, I would try and enrol on something similar, it'd be much better than self-study
How does that night study work out mate? I've always been interested in learning something that way, but wasn't sure it was good?
Reply 4
Philosoraptor
How does that night study work out mate? I've always been interested in learning something that way, but wasn't sure it was good?

It's ace!! Honestly, I've never enjoyed studying so much - the teachers are brilliant and don't treat you like kids. All the other students are really nice, most are in their mid-20s, they're all serious about studying and most of them are applying to medicine, so we're always helping each other out with that.

Really recommend it:smile:
Cool. Hehe, like the most of them are applying to medicine part :p:.
Reply 6
Philosoraptor
Cool. Hehe, like the most of them are applying to medicine part :p:.

#Who else would finish a days work then go study chemistry for 3 hours:biggrin:
Reply 7
Yeah, why not try your local college, I mean it depends on where you live but you might even be able to do an Access to Medicine course, which some of the unis accept. But you should definitely be able to do A Levels at your local college, which will be better than self studying
Reply 8
Hi Kiriuka, Im also a mature student. I do A level chemistry and human biology at night school. Each class is 2 hours a week and its really great. The class is a small group of mature students and I find that we get a whole lot of work done. No distractions from any younger students that obviously don't wanna be there! I've done them both over 2 years and its about £150 each for a year. Well worth doing. However, both courses have a practical component to the course, have you thought about how you would get around that? All the best!
Reply 9
hey Thanks for the info.....

Yeh A levels self study or night classes is my only option. An extra year spent fulltime on an access course would financially cost me. I can at least still work and do A level Chemistry and Biology whilst earning money:smile: Im quite keen to get started and the A level courses wont start untill september in Leeds where im based so was exploring the option of the online courses avaiable as I could start straight away....

I'll do somemore research but for sure if anyone has any more advice or aware of courses near leeds let me know..... Im still trying to live the dream.....:smile:
Reply 10
kiriuka
Im quite keen to get started and the A level courses wont start untill september in Leeds where im based so was exploring the option of the online courses avaiable as I could start straight away....

You won;t be able to apply to med school until October and that will be for september 2008 entry, so if you start a 1 year night class course in September this year, you can apply to med school this year with predicted grades. Then with a bit of luck, you can be starting medicine September 2008
Reply 11
Hi.

Does anybody know if the courses vary in duration....??? I can sacrafice two nights a week to go to college but will struggle to do 4.... Obviously i will put the study in but will have to be flexible.......!! Quite keen to get the alevel biology and chemistry under my belt within a year but dont want to sacrafice my grades if this maybe a a bit too much study bearing in mind im working full time.....

any thoughts or suggestions be appreciated..... cheers,:biggrin:
Reply 12
You can do AS chemistry and AS biology in a year (2 nights per week), then do A2 chemistry and A2 biology the following year (2 nights per week). Problem is that it'll take two years.

You could do A-level chemistry and AS biology in one year, which would only be 3 nights a week...
Reply 13
Sheffield college will let you do them both in a year. Thats where I go. Not too far from Leeds but long way to go 4 nights a week.
Reply 14
cool...

Any books that you would reccommend or books you use on the course for Biology and chemistry? I may aswell get a head start with the spare time I have between now and september and get my head round studying again....

cheers,:biggrin:
Reply 15
which book you buy depends on which exam board you take your exam with
Reply 16
Its doable, but hard. The best of luck to you :biggrin:
Oh gosh yeah, I loved that site!
Reply 19
I did bio and chem AS/A2 in one year at my local night school (this is after doing them in sixth form and getting really bad grades). It worked really well for me. I worked in the daytime during my gap year and at night i went to study. I didn't need as much help as everyone else, and they had this option called open learning where you can enrol for a subject, and its similar to home study in that you are very independent. You only have to go in when you need help, but there is a weekly session which is optional if you have questions you need answering. Also took the pain out of finding somewhere to do the lab practicals (if your syllabus requires it).

Latest

Trending

Trending