The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
shady lane
Most doctors do not work in hospitals.

So are you saying that there are more GP's than hospital doctors?
But then again you claimed that Britian was 92% white when infact it's 85% so maybe statistics isn't your strong point.

I have no doubt in my mind that the proportion of hospital doctors greater than the proportion of GPs in the UK and if I can find some statistics to back that up I will.
Or maybe it's supposed to a be a piece of sarcasm insaying "doctors don't work"?

TBH (and this is aimed at everyone) the people here who are slaggin off doctors (or top businessmen) tend to be the people who neither have the intellectual capability or even any other credentials to have a successful career in either field.

I suggest you all get lost and do something with your careers and lives, and when you have your "money, status and power" or whatever it is you all exactly want out of life and then come back on here and gloat to us.

In the mean time I suggest you all get your facts right.

Yes people can name succesful businessman there are well known successful doctors who made lasting contributions to Medicine. However it's no surprise that non-scientists would be unaware of this fact.

Medicine graduates can also find opportunities to go into business.
British Bulldog
So are you saying that there are more GP's than hospital doctors?
But then again you claimed that Britian was 92% white when infact it's 85% so maybe statistics isn't your strong point.

I suggest you use your own government's census instead of Wikipedia.
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=273

White: 92.1%

Thank you.
shady lane
I suggest you use your own government's census instead of Wikipedia.
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=273

White: 92.1%

Thank you.

Erm, 13 February 2003 at 11:00 am that looks to be, yes 4 years ago... so whoever's data you get isnt exactly relevant to now... The next census is in 2011 I believe...
So do you think Wikipedia is doing independent demographic research?
Also I don't think it's possible for the white population to go from 92% to 85% in just 4 years.
Reply 64
Well if you can find the statistics to back up your argument.........
Reply 65
I always remember the discussion we had in PSHE when we were in year 7. There are 6 people in a hot air baloon; a doctor, a businessman, a teacher, a lawyer, a rock star and an unemployed person, and the baloon only has enough gas to hold up one person, so which 5 would you kick out?

The doctor almost always won. It's a stupid example, but general surveys and the like list doctors as trusted, respectable members of society.

A further point re. investment banking, so perhaps not strictly 'business' as described in this thread but anyway, the head of european stuff at citibank came and spoke to us about becoming IBers. The first thing he said was, 'you don't need to be especially clever to do this. We know you are bright because of you 2:1 from a good uni. We just want people who will put in more hours than the next person.' In a way, medicine has a similar work ethic, but the academic demands to get into a career like medicine (certain specialties much more so than others) surpass that of many business jobs.
Reply 66
At the end of the day Medicine garners more respect bacuase let's face it. When any individual with great "status, money or power" falls seriosly ill, who do they turn to?

Exactly. Next to the Big Guy, there is not better help.
practising medicine is not particularly hard...... apart from the ethics involved, you can just live in a text book.
Reply 68
The-Lennon
practising medicine is not particularly hard...... apart from the ethics involved, you can just live in a text book.

Then you obviously have a medical degree then and you know everything about what can go wrong with the human body and the ethical dilemmas associated with certain treatments and scenarioes?

No I didn't think so.

Medicine never has been and never will be "a text book". The degree is merely the start of the career. Lifelong self-direct learning is neccessary to stay on top of a career in Medicine which is constantly changing as new treatment is developed and new conditions come to light. The amount of hours a doctor has to put in together with all this extra work and the physical and emotional demands of the work makes it one hell of a career and no "text book living" cna help with that.

That is such a far fetched statement.
how many doctors do you know?

Latest