The Student Room Group

Are these good AS results?

Hi, I've been worried about results day for a long time. I'm am ambitious person but when I saw my results I didn't exactly get the rush of happiness I got when I received my GCSEs.

As I've said I'm ambitious and I'd love to get into Unis such as Bristol or King's or even more ambitiously UCL. These Unis require AAA at the least.

My results were:
Psychology (will be my Uni subject): A (191 points)
Engilsh combined: A (185 points)
History: B (150 points)
Biology: B (234 points)

I'm also at a little dilemma as I never originally intended to take English forward but feel I should revise that decision.

Anyway should I genuinely be happy with these results, or feel like I need to work harder?
Reply 1
Reply 2
Original post by Kosovaa

How am I fishing?
Reply 3
I'm genuinely not fishing here.

Also, sorry if it's a dumb question but could someone explain why I got 234 points for a B in Biology and 191 points for an A in Psychology? Is it because Biology is harder?
Original post by Samiz
I'm genuinely not fishing here.

Also, sorry if it's a dumb question but could someone explain why I got 234 points for a B in Biology and 191 points for an A in Psychology? Is it because Biology is harder?

Biology is a 3 unit subject so it's out of 300 UMS (ums=points) and Psychology is a 2 unit subject so out of 200 UMS.

You were 6 ums/points off an A in biology. Well done on the score for Psychology, strong A. :smile:
Original post by Samiz
Hi, I've been worried about results day for a long time. I'm am ambitious person but when I saw my results I didn't exactly get the rush of happiness I got when I received my GCSEs.

As I've said I'm ambitious and I'd love to get into Unis such as Bristol or King's or even more ambitiously UCL. These Unis require AAA at the least.

My results were:
Psychology (will be my Uni subject): A (191 points)
Engilsh combined: A (185 points)
History: B (150 points)
Biology: B (234 points)

I'm also at a little dilemma as I never originally intended to take English forward but feel I should revise that decision.

Anyway should I genuinely be happy with these results, or feel like I need to work harder?

I think you did really well. You should be so proud. All that is left is decided which subjects to carry on to A2 and you should be predicted 3 As at least
Reply 6
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Biology is a 3 unit subject so it's out of 300 UMS (ums=points) and Psychology is a 2 unit subject so out of 200 UMS.

You were 6 ums/points off an A in biology. Well done on the score for Psychology, strong A. :smile:

Damn, I didn't know that. But if I'm completely split between history and biology, does that mean I'm better off carrying on Biology because I"m much closer to an A? Or do the points sort of not transfer into next year? And thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Joiestarxx
I think you did really well. You should be so proud. All that is left is decided which subjects to carry on to A2 and you should be predicted 3 As at least

Thank you so much. In terms of subject to carry on, I think I'd be silly to drop English (my choice before results- this is my first ever A in English all year).

But I'm well and truly split between Biology and History. Does doing way better in Biology this year give me more chance of getting an A overall next year compared to history? Or is it sort of reset?
Reply 8
Original post by Samiz
Damn, I didn't know that. But if I'm completely split between history and biology, does that mean I'm better off carrying on Biology because I"m much closer to an A? Or do the points sort of not transfer into next year? And thank you :smile:

Firstly, congrats on your grades - they are great!

As for biology vs history, you are 6 off A in biology and 10 off A in history, and the points do transfer. Whichever you take you only have a few extra UMS points to make up so I would recommend you do whichever subject you think would be best for your uni course.
Reply 9
Original post by ThatPerson2
Firstly, congrats on your grades - they are great!

As for biology vs history, you are 6 off A in biology and 10 off A in history, and the points do transfer. Whichever you take you only have a few extra UMS points to make up so I would recommend you do whichever subject you think would be best for your uni course.

Ah, thanks for the info. I have until Monday and this is going to be the most difficult decision of my life haha, both have pretty much equal pros and cons.
Reply 10
Also does anybody know how close I was to top marks in Psychology? That's the one subject I'm aiming for A* in
Original post by Samiz
Also does anybody know how close I was to top marks in Psychology? That's the one subject I'm aiming for A* in

For psychology it seems that you were only 9 points off from full marks.
Reply 12
Original post by Samiz

9UMS - you got 95% (which I believe is what Cambridge looks for), and 9 marks would be about 6 marks (Depends on the papers and the exam board) over both papers.
Original post by Samiz

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't biology an A Level that most universities like when you are applying for Psychology?
Good results, same as my AS but different subjects. I worked a lot harder at A2 and achieved A*AAB in the end, so keep it up.
Reply 15
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't biology an A Level that most universities like when you are applying for Psychology?

I thought that too but out of the Unis I want to go to only UCL requires 2 sciences and the others see psychology as a science. Nonetheless I feel like it's a better fit than history so that may sway me in the end - I need something to sway me haha.
I got a BEE, I'd say you should be happy with your results. :h:
I got:
Geology -A 266/300
Philosophy and Ethics - A 186/200
Geography - D 106/200 I ruined the second exam but I'm confident I can retake to get a B
I'm aiming for A*A*B for A Level

Quick Reply

Latest