The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

I'm a student at Royal Holloway: ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LadyStrawberry
Hi, I would like to know whether there are any rules regarding over-night visitors in the postgraduate halls. As a more mature student I am considering whether it would be better to live on campus or get a flat somewhere else. I would like to live on campus with other postgraduates but for me it is important that my boyfriend can visit me sometimes on the weekends and occasionally stay over night (while having his own flat in central London). If that is not possible I would not to decide for a uni accommodation, so that´s quiet important to me. Hope you can help me here.

Hey,

The official line is no visitors overnight for some reason to do with fire safety I believe. However, from my experience as a student it wasn't enforced at all. I had friends from home come and visit quite often and it was never an issue. I had a flat mate in a similar position to you and it was always cool. As long as the guest doesn't take up permanent residence I doubt you'll come across any barriers.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by kazhas93
Hey,

The official line is no visitors overnight for some reason to do with fire safety I believe. However, from my experience as a student it wasn't enforced at all. I had friends from home come and visit quite often and it was never an issue. I had a flat mate in a similar position to you and it was always cool. As long as the guest doesn't take up permanent residence I doubt you'll come across any barriers.

Hi, Thanks for your opinion. I have also checked the private provider close to the campus and they allow you to have guests as long as it is not for extensive stays, so I might just decide to go there even though it is significantly more expensive. I already guessed it would actually be as you say, but it always also depends on the people you live with. There are people like you who are cool with it and then it is fine. But I have also read about people who for religious reasons don´t like flatmates to have the opposite sex over (even during daytime). And I guess they would not be so cool with it and might tell on you. So since you cannot choose your flatmates I would rather go somewhere where I can legally have a guest over at whatever time I want to avoid trouble.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 62
I've heard that the atmosphere on campus is friendly and tight-knit due to it being so small, as well as it being 'like boarding school'. Do you have any general comments about the atmosphere? I'm looking for somewhere friendly and small, and I'm not bothered about the lack of nightlife.

Also, are the societies easy and friendly to join? I heard it's a good idea to join quite a few due to the size of the uni.
Reply 63
is there a chance of a conditional offer being changed to an unconditional after you firm RHUL? or is the unconditional offer offered beforehand in most cases? (for Politics and IR in particular)
Reply 64
I was given the unconditional offer straight away for psychology but this may be because I have already completed my A levels. Sometimes I've heard that people do suddenly get their offer type changed, however, so this could be a possibility! This usually happens before you firm the offer though I think, but I suppose it could happen afterwards!
Original post by dorm195
I've heard that the atmosphere on campus is friendly and tight-knit due to it being so small, as well as it being 'like boarding school'. Do you have any general comments about the atmosphere? I'm looking for somewhere friendly and small, and I'm not bothered about the lack of nightlife.

Also, are the societies easy and friendly to join? I heard it's a good idea to join quite a few due to the size of the uni.

Speaking from my own experiences as a recent Royal Holloway graduate, you're right about the campus atmosphere being friendly and tight-knit. With around 9000 students based on our main Egham campus, I really liked that there were enough people for it not to feel like a boarding school, but that I would still bump into my friends all over campus, that my lecturers would know me personally and that I was part of a community.

Our sports clubs and societies do play a big part in our campus life. You can find a full list of societies here. Taster sessions are usually offered at the start of each term, so it's really easy to try different clubs/societies and see what you enjoy.

Student life at Royal Holloway is really what you make of it, there are clubs on campus to go to if that's your thing, but there are also a number of pubs on campus and in the local area, lots to get involved with in sports clubs and societies, and we have good late night coffee culture with our Starbucks staying open until midnight.

I'm here to help if you have any more questions :smile:

Camilla
hi!
I have an applicant visit day coming up which will include my interview. I'm applying for media and communications, do you know anything about the course and what they may ask me?
Original post by perfectionist123
hi!
I have an applicant visit day coming up which will include my interview. I'm applying for media and communications, do you know anything about the course and what they may ask me?

Hey!

You can find a useful guide to these interviews on our website.

The key advice is to:
- Think about where you see yourself after you've graduated - what other area of media, or other careers, are you interested in
- Find out something about the industry by reading media news stories (eg, The Guardian, The Times, The Telegraph etc.)
- Think about a couple of questions that you would like to ask at interview - remember the interview is a two-way process
- Relax and be yourself - we're interested in hearing about you!

I would also check out the Complete University Guide for interview tips!

Best of luck!

Camilla :smile:
Reply 68
Hi,
I've booked a place for an applicant day. I got an email explaining what will happen on the day,
In the email it said the student ambassador for my group will take us to have a chat with a professor. Would this chat be individual, like an interview. or as a group. Also, would you recommend doing any background reading or going over my personal statement??
Cheers
Hey
I was wondering how can I get from Egham Station to Royal Holloway? What is the shortest and cheapest route ? If its a walking distance,then roughly how long ?

Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by sam_2014
Hey
I was wondering how can I get from Egham Station to Royal Holloway? What is the shortest and cheapest route ? If its a walking distance,then roughly how long ?

Thanks a lot :smile:

It's perfectly walkable at around 15-20 minutes, although we do also provide a regular bus service too. This service is free if you're attending an Applicant Visit Day, otherwise costs £1 a journey.

Hello there!
I was wondering what it's like to study at RHUL. How are the societies? Is it hard to make new friends? I attended an Applicant Visit Day at Royal Holloway last weekend and I thought that Founder's building looked really nice and all of my prospective professors were friendly and helpful. I'm worried that I might get bored easily though since there aren't that many things to do in Egham and it's a 40-minute train ride to get to London plus 20 minutes to get to the train station. Can you tell me something about the accommodation as well? Since I'm going to read the Classics, I was wondering if it would be the best to live in Founder's. What other accommodations can you recommend me?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Hey :smile:

I'm a recent Royal Holloway graduate so I thought I'd answer your question.

I had such a great experience over my three years at Royal Holloway. In my first year, I lived in founders which was amazing. It's really sociable and you end up eating, spending time with and going out with the people you meet on your corridor. In my second year, I ended up living in a house in Egham with a group of girls that lived in the rooms next to me. In your first week at Royal Holloway, you'll have the opportunity to join loads of sports clubs and societies which I can't recommend you doing enough. I joined the women's football club which I was part of until I graduated. It was honestly one of the best experiences of my life! Your sports club or society becomes a little family and it's great to meet people that have very similar interests to you. With women's football I got to travel to other universities for matches, coach at primary schools, volunteer in the local community, enhance my CV by running for committee positions and travel abroad several times. Not to mention the endless social events on offer! In my second year I got involved with the student radio and magazine and in my final year I got involved with community action volunteering. Doing all these activities enabled me to meet so many people. There are over 80 societies and 30 sports clubs at Holloway run by the students for the students. You can get involved in anything from politics to languages to Harry Potter to dance to swimming!! Although we're a campus University in Egham, there is always something going on. It's a real hub and community.

In terms of accommodation, I lived in founders in my first year and wedderburn when I came back from my year abroad. It really depends what you want. There's lots of options in terms of catered or non catered, ensuite or shared bathroom and single or double bed. All the halls of residence are really sociable. Most of the accommodation is on campus and so your walk to your classics lectures wouldn't be more than 10 minutes. Sometimes your classics lectures might not even be in founders, so I'd recommend prioritising price and facilities over location.

I hope all this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cissy :smile:
Hi there.

I am thinking of applying for a MAsters Degree in Forensic Psychology at Royal Holloway on a part-time basis, but I read somewhere that they only allow you to have a paid job of 20 hours or less per week. Is that true?
Reply 74
Hello!

I've recently applied for the Msc Economics (2 Year Pathway). I just wanted to know if the degree is accredited ?
Original post by silvanacabral
Hi there.

I am thinking of applying for a MAsters Degree in Forensic Psychology at Royal Holloway on a part-time basis, but I read somewhere that they only allow you to have a paid job of 20 hours or less per week. Is that true?

Hey there,

Great to hear you're interested in studying at Royal Holloway.

The 20 hour work limit is only applicable to students on a full-time course. This is in place to ensure that students allow themselves enough time to focus on their studies.

As a part-time student, you would be able to work more hours.

Reply 76

I've been to my interview and now have an unconditional offer for Geology, yay!

I wanted to know when the applications for accomodation open as I want to secure my place in one of the Band A places.

Also, I know RHUL gets turned down a lot for night life. I know there's a club / bar on campus which hosts stuff. Could you say something more about night life? I'm not that bothered about it anyways. I'm more interested in the sport clubs and societies.

Thanks.
Original post by Meegas

I've been to my interview and now have an unconditional offer for Geology, yay!

I wanted to know when the applications for accomodation open as I want to secure my place in one of the Band A places.

Also, I know RHUL gets turned down a lot for night life. I know there's a club / bar on campus which hosts stuff. Could you say something more about night life? I'm not that bothered about it anyways. I'm more interested in the sport clubs and societies.

Thanks.

Hey,

Congrats on your offer - really exciting news!

Applications for undergraduate accommodation are open from 4th May - 5th June. In the interests of fairness, if more people select a particular room type than we have availability, we will allocate as many first choices as possible using a lottery system.

In terms of nightlife, we have two clubs on campus, the Students' Union and Medicine, both of which run regular club nights. There are also a range of bars and pubs on campus and in the local area, so there is plenty going on if you're interested in nightlife.

Equally, we have a large range of sports clubs and societies, and these are extremely popular amongst students. You can find a full list of these here.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Reply 78
Hey,
I really need to find a room to rent over the summer in Egham/Englefield Green before my masters starts in September. How do i go about finding accommodation for July until September? I would be open to any sort of place really.
thanks in advance!
Katie
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hey there,

Great to hear you're interested in studying at Royal Holloway.

The 20 hour work limit is only applicable to students on a full-time course. This is in place to ensure that students allow themselves enough time to focus on their studies.

As a part-time student, you would be able to work more hours.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending