The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

I'm a student at Royal Holloway: ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josephine3233
Hello,
I was wondering when will i be able to enter my accommodation? I have received an offer of accommodation and wanted to arrive before the courses start to get the room ready. Is this possible?

Hey Josephine,

Generally, undergraduates students move in on Saturday 17th September and postgraduates move in on Sunday 18th September. Welcome Week starts on Monday 19th September, and during this time you'll be able to settle yourself, unpack, meet new people and attend course and College inductions. The first week of normal teaching will commence the following week, so you should have plenty of time to unpack!

Camilla :smile:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 141
Hi! I applied AF in RHUL this year. Any books recommended about it??
Reply 142
heya,

I want to ask in butler hall, do i have to but myself cutlery pan etc or does rhul provide those for us?

cheers!
Reply 143
Hi,I've got an unconditional offer for MSc in clinical psychology starting in september. i was wondering what the travelling costs from RHUL and London is? and is it easy to travel for a night out/shopping?Also i didn't want to live in student accommodation.. i was wondering if you could recommend somewhere cheap and private to stay near the university?Thank you !
Reply 144
Original post by Raf_94
Hi,I've got an unconditional offer for MSc in clinical psychology starting in september. i was wondering what the travelling costs from RHUL and London is? and is it easy to travel for a night out/shopping?Also i didn't want to live in student accommodation.. i was wondering if you could recommend somewhere cheap and private to stay near the university?Thank you !

Its like w a student card and it takes you around 35mins

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eozcan
heya,

I want to ask in butler hall, do i have to but myself cutlery pan etc or does rhul provide those for us?

cheers!

Hey,

Yes, you'll need to provide all cooking utensils yourself. Although please note that the kitchens in self-catered halls usually come equipped with a toaster, kettle, microwave, fridge freezer, stove and oven.

Original post by Raf_94

Hey,

London Waterloo can be easily reached from our campus in Egham via direct train in around 40 minutes. I've just had a quick look on National Rail, and an off-peak a day travelcard to London with a 16-25 railcard costs around £12.30. It's a bit cheaper if you're not going as far into London (eg, an off-peak return to Richmond using the 16-25 railcard is around £5.55).

If you'd like to live within walking distance of the uni, I'd suggest you look at accommodation in either Egham or Englefield Green, which are both popular among students. You can find out more about renting in the private sector on our website here, and you can use our HouseSearch webpage to find properties locally.

Any questions, give me a shout!

Camilla
Hi,
Quick question. Does buying the £12 student opportunities/activities year membership allow you to join societies for free? Or do you still need to pay society joining fees on top of that?
Thanks
Original post by qwertyfinger
Hi,
Quick question. Does buying the £12 student opportunities/activities year membership allow you to join societies for free? Or do you still need to pay society joining fees on top of that?
Thanks

Hey,

The £12 covers your Student Activities Membership, which you'll need regardless of how many societies you wish to join. You'll then pay an individual membership fee per society, although this is usually pretty cheap at around £7 for the year.

Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hey,

The £12 covers your Student Activities Membership, which you'll need regardless of how many societies you wish to join. You'll then pay an individual membership fee per society, although this is usually pretty cheap at around £7 for the year.

Thanks Camilla. So without a student activities membership you can't join any societies?
Original post by qwertyfinger
Thanks Camilla. So without a student activities membership you can't join any societies?

Yeah, you'll need to get this first. You can wait and get this once you decide if you'd like to join any societies though - there's no rush to get this now!
Hello!

I would like to know the requirement for my college card, for example if I can smile in the photo for my college card.
Thank you!
Hey! :smile:
I was wondering whether I need to contact someone to let them know that I'll arrive on September 18th instead of September 17th (I'm a new undergraduate student) or doesn't it make any difference? Also who would I have to contact?
Thanks in advance!
Original post by Josephine3233
Hello!

I would like to know the requirement for my college card, for example if I can smile in the photo for my college card.
Thank you!

Hey,

You absolutely can smile! We do have a few small guidelines for this photo, which you can see on our website here.

Hi!
I was thinking about applying and was wondering about costs. How expensive is it to go to uni in London? Accommodation, nights out, food etc
Hi, I'm really confused by Campus Connect and the info about my loan being paid. SFE says its all approved and just waiting to be paid to RHUL some date in October but on the Enrolement tab in Campus Connect it says my attendance has not been confirmed and in the Finance tab is says the tuition fees are my responsibility. But does this all mean that RHUL are expecting the money from SFE or does it mean they currently think I'm paying them myself. There's no info on the RHUL website about when my attendance will be confirmed as I've already completed online enrolment, so does attendance conformation happen in the first few days of university and then my loan will sort itself out, or do I still need to do something to make sure SFE actually pay my fees?
Hi I've received my student finance letter regarding the payment for the course but it says that the expected pay is in October but I start in September. Would that be a problem? :frown:

Thank you
Original post by nataliejr98
Hi, I'm really confused by Campus Connect and the info about my loan being paid. SFE says its all approved and just waiting to be paid to RHUL some date in October but on the Enrolement tab in Campus Connect it says my attendance has not been confirmed and in the Finance tab is says the tuition fees are my responsibility. But does this all mean that RHUL are expecting the money from SFE or does it mean they currently think I'm paying them myself. There's no info on the RHUL website about when my attendance will be confirmed as I've already completed online enrolment, so does attendance conformation happen in the first few days of university and then my loan will sort itself out, or do I still need to do something to make sure SFE actually pay my fees?

Hey,

If you have already completed the online enrolment, the next stage will be to attend an identity check within your first week at Royal Holloway. Following this, we'll be able to complete your enrolment and confirm your attendance to SFE. It sounds like everything is in order for you so no need to panic!

Hello! I was wondering whether I can connect to the wifi with my phone on campus?
and if so, can i connect to the wifi both my phone and computer or can i only connect 1?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by daisylim
Hi I've received my student finance letter regarding the payment for the course but it says that the expected pay is in October but I start in September. Would that be a problem? :frown:

Thank you

No worries I have that too, it is the protocol :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending