The Student Room Group

Oxford Freshers Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plagioclase
I have a form about JCR levies for St. Anne's but it doesn't say how it's supposed to be paid. Do I send in a cheque along with the forms or what?

Usually the college will add the JCR subscription to your account. Everyone does opt in and it is good value since St Anne's will also give the JCR an annual grant.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Usually the college will add the JCR subscription to your account. Everyone does opt in and it is good value since St Anne's will also give the JCR an annual grant.

So I just submit the form and it will be deducted automatically from my bank account?
Guys which one of youse has snapchat? :smile: pop it down!
Original post by Plagioclase
So I just submit the form and it will be deducted automatically from my bank account?

They don't have a direct tap to your bank account - it'll be added to the bill you get for accommodation/various other charges to pay at the start of term (in Oxford lingo its your battel).
Reply 64
Any Keble people been allocated accommodation yet?
Original post by Histori
Any Keble people been allocated accommodation yet?

You probably won't be allocated accommodation until closer to the time :smile: some colleges won't even inform you of your room until the day you arrive!
@Lizandre I was sent a reading list today, I'm not sure if that's from the department or from the college though.
Original post by evazilber57
Congratulations everyone! I'm going to study Medicine at Somerville :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Goals goals goals goals
What did you get at GCSE? And then A-Level overall? And which subjects did you take? (Hopeful Med student here, finished year 11 anxiously awaiting GCSE results)
Congratulations though!!!!! Honestly incredible *starry eyes*
Reply 68
I'm using the 'that will be useful for university' line to justify purchasing far too many things recently... :lol:

New headphones? Definitely need!
Got my reading lists today for Politics and Economics and applied for accommodation... getting more and more real...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Medicine at LMH. Just wondering if any medics have been sent any reading lists, I haven't and was wondering if different colleges operate different systems? Also, seen as though i'm a bit useless at everything involving responsibility, is there anything I should be doing in before I start, eg signing up for freshers events or stuff like that
Original post by aasvogel
What is this Oxford slang I've heard quite a bit about?? :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Things like Battels and Trashings, among others. Totally legit excuse for postponing holiday reading :wink:
Anyone else getting a little concerned about reading lists? The English one is three pages long...
Reply 73
Original post by JustSomeRandom
Anyone else getting a little concerned about reading lists? The English one is three pages long...

My law reading list is only two books long and completely optional #score
Original post by isabellissimo
Things like Battels and Trashings, among others. Totally legit excuse for postponing holiday reading :wink:

Looks like I've more to learn than I thought!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JustSomeRandom

Are you sure you're expected to read all of them? We've been given a dozen or so books for Earth Sciences but were told to choose "a couple that look interesting".
Original post by nickparkes
Medicine at LMH. Just wondering if any medics have been sent any reading lists, I haven't and was wondering if different colleges operate different systems? Also, seen as though i'm a bit useless at everything involving responsibility, is there anything I should be doing in before I start, eg signing up for freshers events or stuff like that

Hi! I've got a place for Medicine at Queens and I got this http://pages.queens.ox.ac.uk/collegeoffice/files/2013/07/MEDICINE-15.pdf
But each college differs, I'd email and ask :smile: In my freshers pack I've been told not to book anything as they have bought all the tickets which we can get when we arrive - perhaps contact your college parents on Facebook? :biggrin:
Original post by nickparkes

Medicine doesn't give reading lists. You might get given one before 2nd year but they're mostly popular science books to read for fun and no one bothers reading them unless they actually want to.
How does the process do getting an accomodation look? Do u pick it? When?
Original post by patricio_miguel
How does the process do getting an accomodation look? Do u pick it? When?

I know at St. Johns accomodation is randomly allocated in the first year. Not too sure about other colleges though. Which college have you received an offer from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending