The Student Room Group

Economics AS-Level AQA (Bad Marking?)

How did you guys do?

I know I did perfectly well on my economics exams and yet I got a C overall so I was wondering about how everybody else has managed. And, well, about what you have thought about the quality of the marking.

Needless to say I'm extremely unhappy and bitter, especially as I kept getting As over As in Economics mocks at school... got an easy A* on economics the previous year too, so I was wondering if there are others who also think they've been wronged in this case.

Also considering the apparent fear that examiners are 'guesstimating' people's marks in the UK, I really do think something's happened :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got a D... I don't know of anyone who got higher than a C.

The time allowed in the exam is a joke, and is primarily the reason why I did so badly.
Original post by Kiytt
I got a D... I don't know of anyone who got higher than a C.

The time allowed in the exam is a joke, and is primarily the reason why I did so badly.

Yeah, that is true. I personally think that pupils should be allowed plenty of time as it's about showing what you know and how you understand it, not how fast you can shove it all onto a piece of paper. Will you ask for a remark?

But then, if so many people have generally gotten lower grades for Economics, why is it that the grade boundaries are still relatively high for economics? I really have to take an interest in requesting remarks and hope my school will bother.
I just finished A2 economics AQA, I got a D overall.. I'm 1 UMS from a C so I'll probably just remark a unit.

I retook unit 2 and it went from a D to a B so I'm happy with that marking but I got an E for unit 3 so I'll get that remarked
Original post by UyiOo
I just finished A2 economics AQA, I got a D overall.. I'm 1 UMS from a C so I'll probably just remark a unit.

I retook unit 2 and it went from a D to a B so I'm happy with that marking but I got an E for unit 3 so I'll get that remarked

Ah, fair enough. Thank you for sharing! Seems like appeals and remarks might help me out a tad bit.
Reply 5
Hi Toby
I'm not picking my results up until 6 but I know I didn't do so well on Econ 2 so I'm hoping the marking is accurate!!
Reply 7
Went from scoring 90-95% in all my mocks for Edexcel U1 + U2 to getting 153/160.
Missed A overall by 4 marks/7 ums marks.

Wow.
I'm exactly the same as you. I was getting A's in practise and was pretty confident over how well the exams went but ended with a C in both?
Could anyone help me?

These were the marks given on the results sheet

ECON1: B - 70 (retake)
ECON2: B - 75 (retake)
ECON3: D - 56
ECON4: D - 50

I got a C overall, but I want a B, do you think theres any point getting re-marks or should I just re-take ECON3 and ECON4?
d overall here.... strange as i thought i did well overall? 62% and 48%
Original post by conrad0909
Could anyone help me?

These were the marks given on the results sheet

ECON1: B - 70 (retake)
ECON2: B - 75 (retake)
ECON3: D - 56
ECON4: D - 50

I got a C overall, but I want a B, do you think theres any point getting re-marks or should I just re-take ECON3 and ECON4?

Sorry but I've only sat the AS level for economics. I think a resit is most certainly worth it. If you can spare the money, a re-mark is also worth it. This year even the government started worrying about the seemingly 'poor' practices of the teachers that correct the exams, calling them out as 'guesstimating' the grades. So if you can spare the money, you should have them re-marked.

Likewise, could you all please tell me your actual scores? I should have gotten a clear A on both units judging by these grade boundaries: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2015.PDF

For Unit 1 I got '64' with the equivalent being a 'C' while the above grade boundaries would suggest an A. For Unit 2 I got 68... What the hell is happening?
Same, I should have got A's going by those boundaries. I got 70 in unit 1 and 74 in unit 2, I'm confused too
Original post by conrad0909
Same, I should have got A's going by those boundaries. I got 70 in unit 1 and 74 in unit 2, I'm confused too

Something seems just really fishy here. Might be that we simply don't understand the way the 'marks' are different from the grade boundaries, maybe? It's certainly not a % as on my history exam I got an A, and the marks are over 100.
Throughout the year I was achieving mid As for all the mocks I was doing in economics. When I opened my results I saw that I had achieved a low B and I nearly got a C in ECON2 although I felt that I had done really well in it. I'm so confused how this happened
Hi,
My friend just got her result yesterday for AS and she got an E despite getting A's all year. Same with Business but she got a D instead. She was seriously distraught over it as her parents are going to kill her :/ should she be asking for remarks? Any advice I can pass on to her?
Original post by Turbo1
I'm in a similar situation in terms of economics - also not sure what to do - i think i'm going to ask for a remark of one of my papers and if she feels she did well or could do better i'd advise the same or even a resit if possible. Hope that helps

Well yeah- she thought she had done as well as she could in it. She revised her butt off working. I've suggested to her to see if she can get anything remarked. But I think I'll also suggest her to resit it. I mean I know exam stress causes people to forget bits but to go from straight A's to an E, there just something not quite right. Thanks for your advise :smile:
So it would seem like this is something quite common... people who have usually done really quite well on economics and yet ended up with a really low grade. I for one live and breathe economics (since the age of 13 I was very much interested in economics) and since the start of the school year I would get As on entire past papers before even going through the coursework.

I really do think that something 'happened'. Anyone else of the thinking that the marking was a bit off? I think I'll just sit an international Cambridge exam in a few months and simply forget about the British exams boards; they seem really quite untrustworthy to me, especially after all the talk of teachers 'guesstimating' pupils' marks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Caius Filimon
So it would seem like this is something quite common... people who have usually done really quite well on economics and yet ended up with a really low grade. I for one live and breathe economics (since the age of 13 I was very much interested in economics) and since the start of the school year I would get As on entire past papers before even going through the coursework.

I really do think that something 'happened'. Anyone else of the thinking that the marking was a bit off? I think I'll just sit an international Cambridge exam in a few months and simply forget about the British exams boards; they seem really quite untrustworthy to me, especially after all the talk of teachers 'guesstimating' pupils' marks.

I think the issue this year was particularly the timing. The problem is that I felt that ECON1 was different from the other unit 1 of the other years and so it took longer to understand what you needed to write. Therefore, I think it was virtually impossible to do really well this year
Reply 19
Quite a few people in my school seemed to do well and get As overall. Maybe teachers may have been lenient with the essay question, and when the examiner marked them they may have been marked down. However that shouldn't warrant so many people getting a few grades lower than they normally would :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending