The Student Room Group

GCSE Sciene A* Dillemma

Hello, I am currently doing my GCSE's and Double Award Science is one of them. I want to get an A*A* and I feel am I'm capable of doing so. The GCSE comprises of:

20% Coursework: My mark is 16% out of 20%
30% Modular Exams: Mark mark is 26.7% out of 30%

And the final exam is worth 50%

I got into the exam with 42.7% already and to get an A*, you need 85% overall. (Yes this is getting bloody confusing, sorry)

Meaning I need to get to get 43% out of 50% in the final exam.

So, shall I do another resit and/or improve my coursework marks. Will it be worthwile?!

Any one else in the same situation (confusing situation)
Reply 1
I think you will just need to work you ass off and try and get 86% in the final exam! You seem fully capeable fo that looking at your modular results :biggrin:

You might want to try and improve your coursework - as to get a few extra marks is pretty easy. :smile:
Reply 2
Don't bother with the resits, they'll just be a waste of money. Just try and improve on the coursework, I don't really think 16/20 is that an A* standard considering how easy GCSE Science coursework is.

It really shouldn't be hard for you to improve. Ask your teacher if they can help you get full marks and they should do their best to help you!
Reply 3
Yeah, I would just work on the coursework and then work really hard on knowing the stuff for the exam. Good Luck xxx
Reply 4
ye i wud redo the c/wk try n get it to 18/20 or 19 den revise loads for d final exam
Wow, I didn't realise it was that hard to get an A* in science- needing 86% in the exam is quite a lot when you've already done so well on coursework and in the module exams! I agree with others that you should try and improve your coursework if you want to pick up some extra marks though because it will probably be easier and less hassle than resitting an exam.
Reply 6
For AQA, you normally only need 80% for an A* actually. But i don't know what exam board you are doing. :smile:
Erm... I achieved no higher than an A (and mostly Bs and a C) in my module tests, and only just A grade coursework, yet still managed to get A*A* overall without resits (which weren't offered to us anyway). Anything is possible when the final exam is weighted so heavily.
Reply 8
Somehow I got an A*A* in science and to this day I dont know how. 2 years of pissing my teacher off and spending most of my biology lessons outside.
Just get a CGP book and eat it.
^ Ditto...but then i didn't revise for my mocks and got BB and my teacher told me she was disappointed in me haha when every1 else in the class got Ds and Es..anyways i crammed hardcore for science and got the top grades-my CW wasn't that good actually and i didn't do modular science....just revise like a bitch
Reply 10
Eat a CGP book, lol

Thats how I've been revising to be fair
If you eat a CGP book, will you start telling those awful jokes?! :p:
Reply 12
I would also go for the eating of the cgp book - it's what I did, and it paid off.
Reply 13
God bless CGP, and hey! don't dis the jokes, the book is legendary!
barry1200
God bless CGP, and hey! don't dis the jokes, the book is legendary!

I used quite a few CGP books at GCSE and they were good, but it has to be said, the jokes were extremely lame and they did tend to get on your nerves after a while :p:
Reply 15
What was said above ^^^ CGP really do help out.

i got an a* and my coursework was no where near topmarks.
Yeah eat a CPG book so lame on the joke front
i had an average of a B in the modular exams and then a fairly high A* in c/w n stil ***t out an A*A* overall so i wudnt worry bout resitting stuff!!

Latest

Trending

Trending