The Student Room Group

Kings EMDP 2016 Entry

Hey guys, I just got my a-levels (ABB) and I reeally want to do medicine. This is my only choice. Anyway, I'm taking a gap year and applying.

Scroll to see replies

Moved this over to Medicine :smile:
Good luck!

I also applying this year for the programme:

Do you think my stats would be competitive for this programme:

1A*, 2A's and 7B's.

AS
C- Biology (Getting remarked- 1 ums from a B)
B- Maths
C- Chemistry (Getting remarked)
C- Business Studies

Hoping to get predicted AAB. Got St Johns Ambulance for 9/10 months. Volunteering through the NCS Programme. Cricket school Captain. Work experience for 3 weeks in a GP practice. (Shadowed Doctors, Nurses, Diabetic Clinicians, Healthcare assistants) as well as various administration duties. Also committed to a part-time paid summer job in the same practice for a period of 4 weeks. Partook in the Brilliant club scheme. Current school's Islamic society project leader/manager.

UkCAT- 4th September (Hoping to get at least 710/720) to boost my application massively.
Personal statement also hoping to be up to an excellent standard.
Reply 3
Original post by Randall13
Good luck!

I also applying this year for the programme:

Do you think my stats would be competitive for this programme:

1A*, 2A's and 7B's.

AS
C- Biology (Getting remarked- 1 ums from a B)
B- Maths
C- Chemistry (Getting remarked)
C- Business Studies

Hoping to get predicted AAB. Got St Johns Ambulance for 9/10 months. Volunteering through the NCS Programme. Cricket school Captain. Work experience for 3 weeks in a GP practice. (Shadowed Doctors, Nurses, Diabetic Clinicians, Healthcare assistants) as well as various administration duties. Also committed to a part-time paid summer job in the same practice for a period of 4 weeks. Partook in the Brilliant club scheme. Current school's Islamic society project leader/manager.

UkCAT- 4th September (Hoping to get at least 710/720) to boost my application massively.
Personal statement also hoping to be up to an excellent standard.

I think so. Apparently, they care more about your personal statement and stuff and use ukcat and stuff for borderline cases as long as you meet entry requirements. You have a lot of experiences which is good! I am going to work as a healthcare assistant, volunteer at a hospice and british red cross, volunteer in peru and india and tutor as well as my hospital w/e placements :smile: should be enough lol
Hey guys
I'm applying too
I got BBBD in my AS, so I'm disappointed.
I got 4A*'s, 4A's and 3B's at GCSE.
(Just to let you kno, if your eligible for the A100 programme, it is a disadvantage for u to apply to this, ive called them about this)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by ojj_12
I think so. Apparently, they care more about your personal statement and stuff and use ukcat and stuff for borderline cases as long as you meet entry requirements. You have a lot of experiences which is good! I am going to work as a healthcare assistant, volunteer at a hospice and british red cross, volunteer in peru and india and tutor as well as my hospital w/e placements :smile: should be enough lol

Hey!

Good luck with that.
So much Peru as India are great countries to visit!
I'm peruvian, ask me for advice in case you need it!
Where else is everyone applying?
Unfortunately, I'm not eligible for the Nottingham scheme because of my postcode so I can only apply to three medical programmes.
I need to check Cardiff out - not sure if I'm eligible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by zalo_00
Hey!

Good luck with that.
So much Peru as India are great countries to visit!
I'm peruvian, ask me for advice in case you need it!

Oh wow, what's Peru like? Visiting Machu Picchu has always been a dream of mine! I will be doing conservation in the Amazon Rainforest in Peru and for both India and Peru I am going to be doing care in the community like with orphanages and schools and stuff. I'm going next July so I don't know if I can use it in my personal statement though
Reply 8
Original post by Bloom77
Where else is everyone applying?
Unfortunately, I'm not eligible for the Nottingham scheme because of my postcode so I can only apply to three medical programmes.
I need to check Cardiff out - not sure if I'm eligible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got ABBc in my A-levels so I think the only other medical school I am eligible for is Exeter. But I am gonna stay positive, after all, I only need one place to give me an offer!
Original post by ojj_12
I got ABBc in my A-levels so I think the only other medical school I am eligible for is Exeter. But I am gonna stay positive, after all, I only need one place to give me an offer!

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ojj_12
Oh wow, what's Peru like? Visiting Machu Picchu has always been a dream of mine! I will be doing conservation in the Amazon Rainforest in Peru and for both India and Peru I am going to be doing care in the community like with orphanages and schools and stuff. I'm going next July so I don't know if I can use it in my personal statement though

Hey,

I'd say you must use it in your personal statement only if it is a sure thing to happen but if you just have the idea but are not sure about doing it, maybe using it in the personal statement isnt a must!
Look at this to improve your personal statement:
http://university.which.co.uk/advice/personal-statements/10-things-to-put-in-your-personal-statement

Little joke: Dont say that you want to travel to Machu Picchu in you personal statement. Jaja!

What's Perú like?
Perú it's a multicultural nation conformed by natives that always lived here, white people (from the spanish conquest), chinese people (that came escaping war), africanperuvians (brought in times of slavery) (they're all free now, obviously) (we are all free here, it's very nice) . Perú is about seven times the UK but we're only 30million, we have almost all the microclimates of the world. We have coast, highlands and jungle. The only big city in Peru is Lima, the capital city, where you can find everything from big parties all night to nice relaxing yoga classes. Machu Picchu is the main but not the only atractive, we have the Amazon River, the Titicaca Lake, the Nazca Lines, the oldest city in America called Caral (5000 years old), etc. Look:
http://www.peru.travel/en-uk/

Our currency is the Nuevo Sol (New Sun) so everything will seem cheap to you for a pound is worth 5 or 7 soles. You can go to an expensive restaurant of 10 pounds the plate or to a very cheap one of 1 pound per meal (including entreé, main plate and a beverage). Life is awesome here!!!

Machu Picchu is the greatest thing I've seen in my life. I've been there twice but I'd still go a third time (and a fourth and more). It's a 3 or 4 hours trip from Cuzco city in bus and train that takes you there, adn once there you see such amazing things that you will want to stay!

Btw, thank you very much for doing conservation in our jungle. Frontiers are absolutely useless under my point of view so it's not a peruvian jungle, it belongs to each one of us citizens of the world! Feel free to enjoy at your will.
Reply 11
Original post by ojj_12

Exeter is not the only other place! With ABB you can apply to UEA aswell, providing you are predicted A*A in the two subjects you are going to resit.

Lancaster too, they want AAA and accept resitters, and so do Liverpool but they'd want A*'s in the subjects you're resitting

You might also be eligible to apply to Southampton BM6 but you'd have to check their criteria

Edit: also check if your school is on the list of eligible schools on St George's for students who achieved ABB - BBC
(edited 8 years ago)
Geez everyone has done so well! I massively flopped. Was expecting AAAB but got BCDD. I'm going mad. Hoping to get BBB predictions by retaking chemistry D. But the other D in psychology will be untouched. Is that bad? Do kings have AS requirements. I'll be taking an epq to make up for psychology anyways. I'm happy with my gcse and personal statement. I just hope I ace the UKCAT!
Reply 13
Has anyone got their UKCAT results yet. What do you think would be a good score?
Original post by ojj_12
Has anyone got their UKCAT results yet. What do you think would be a good score?

Hey!
I haven't done mine yet
I think 650 is a good score as its above average.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Bloom77
Hey!
I haven't done mine yet
I think 650 is a good score as its above average.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How are you preparing? Mine's on thursday >.< so scared!
I have got 642.5 which is close to 650 benchmark. Is this competitive?

I have lots of work experience but my stats are pretty average.

GCSE'S - 1A*,2A,7B'S.
AS- BBCC
A2- Taking BBC so hoping to be predicted AAB/ABB.

I believe I have a brilliant personal statements.
Original post by ojj_12
How are you preparing? Mine's on thursday >.< so scared!

I'm constantly using Medify :smile:
I love that resource!
It's really helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Randall13
I have got 642.5 which is close to 650 benchmark. Is this competitive?

I have lots of work experience but my stats are pretty average.

GCSE'S - 1A*,2A,7B'S.
AS- BBCC
A2- Taking BBC so hoping to be predicted AAB/ABB.

I believe I have a brilliant personal statements.

I think it's a good score
It depends what this year's average is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, what are you aiming for?

Do you think overall, I am competitive?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending