The Student Room Group

Poor AS Level results, not sure what to do.

Got
U-Math
U-Physics
C-Geography

Was hoping to continue onto year 13 and do a foundation year for Engineering at university, now I doubt I can do so without retaking, which I am not willing to do.

What are peoples suggestions?
(edited 8 years ago)
i did worse than you but im doubting my results im going for a remark then retake next year
Original post by Slippy
Got
U-Math
U-Physics
C-Geography

Was hoping to continue onto year 13 and do a foundation year for Robotics Engineering at Plymouth. now I doubt I can do so without retaking, which I am not willing to do.

What are peoples suggestions?

Realistically, you aren't going to get into uni with only one A level. If you aren't willing to retake, your only options are going to be getting a job or getting an apprenticeship.
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Realistically, you aren't going to get into uni with only one A level. If you aren't willing to retake, your only options are going to be getting a job or getting an apprenticeship.

How would I go about getting an apprenticeship that would take me to university?
Original post by Slippy
How would I go about getting an apprenticeship that would take me to university?

It's a standalone qualification that leads into a job, not a route to university. That's not to say you can't go to university afterwards. If you decided to to do that, an access course later on would be the way forward.
Retake the year at another college
I did that came out with A*A Distinction after 3 years getting (DEED In first time doing AS) Brother tried sticking with crap as level into this year and pretty much got the same today.
Original post by niceguy95
Retake the year at another college
I did that came out with A*A Distinction after 3 years getting (DEED In first time doing AS) Brother tried sticking with crap as level into this year and pretty much got the same today.

that sounds like a better option, i might actually do that. thanks for your existance, gave me hope
Don't worry i got 2 c's, a D and an E! its quite annoying because in my mocks i got A's. The only option i have in mind is to retake some exams! im upset but theres no point in worrying! We'll both get into uni, one day the hard work might pay off
Original post by stressedfordays
that sounds like a better option, i might actually do that. thanks for your existance, gave me hope

It is cuz most courses barring say med and dentistry don't care about the three years.
You get reflect on what went wrong through the year (I was lazy, no motivation, hardly did past papers and treated it was GCSE and got crap grades) and prevent it from happening again. Sometimes I wish I had the mentally I have now when I was in year 10 lol

My brother had 16 odd exams half retaking AS exams and ended wit the same grades at A2 as he did at AS.
If you don't have a problem with people asking you "what uni you going to" throughout the year I say go for it
Reply 9
It sounds like retaking the year would be a good option, however I would want to move college to another nearby.

The question is, do I take a btec in engineering/computing + Math A-level, or simply retake the 3 a-level at the new college.

I would find I enjoy the btec + a-level combination more, however It comes down to what universities prefer.

I'm looking at Robotics at Plymouth/Reading.

Quick Reply

Latest