The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University of Manchester life science foundation year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by angela4764
is there anything specific that we need for the classes? like calculators and stuff like that, or will they be provided there?

They'll only provide you with text books, you need to bring your own paper for notes and a calculator every lesson.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Hi, is there a Maths test in freshers week? Im applying for 2016 Science with an Integrated Foundation Year i was just wondering what topics to revise over the summer for the Maths paper when i hopefully get in?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CosmicAero
Hi, is there a Maths test in freshers week? Im applying for 2016 Science with an Integrated Foundation Year i was just wondering what topics to revise over the summer for the Maths paper when i hopefully get in?
Posted from TSR Mobile

The Life Sciences foundation year is completely separate to the foundation year you're applying for.
Does that mean they do a different maths test? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does that mean they do a different maths test? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't really know anything about the Life Sciences foundation year but I would be surprised if they do exactly the same test, it's a completely different faculty.
Reply 45
Posted from TSR Mobile
You do maths test only so they can determine which maths group you belong to. you have nothing to worry about just revise everything, especially trigonometry but simple stuff only because you are not supposed to know a lot when you come here. there is two groups, OB1 and OC1 and you will be in one of them, when the course finishes you will be at the same level as the other group but the learning path is a bit different.. and exams for OC1 for example are easier as far as I am aware. so dont worry :smile: it does not matter what you get in test.
Reply 46
You do maths test only so they can determine which maths group you belong to. you have nothing to worry about just revise everything, especially trigonometry but simple stuff only because you are not supposed to know a lot when you come here. there is two groups, OB1 and OC1 and you will be in one of them, when the course finishes you will be at the same level as the other group but the learning path is a bit different.. and exams for OC1 for example are easier as far as I am aware. so dont worry :smile: it does not matter what you get in test.

What were the people like on the foundation year ie are many international students? Also who did you move in with in the second year were they people from the course?
Reply 47
Original post by dont

What were the people like on the foundation year ie are many international students? Also who did you move in with in the second year were they people from the course?
Reply 48
Hi, Do you know what the average pass mark is if I wanted to progress onto a Biology degree? Thankyou ~
Reply 49
Hi, I have applied for psychology and I've got a conditional offer which I've put as my firm choice but I don't want to do psychology anymore. I want to do the life sciences foundation year, would I be able to apply and get in through clearing on results day if i get the right grades?
Reply 50
Does this course go into clearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know people that got into this course via clearing?
Reply 52
It was available through clearing last year so most probably will also be available through clearing this year
Can you please tell me more about the student life? Did you have a lot of new friends and are most students international? How was the accommodation and all? Did you feel like a real uni student?
I know this thread is quite old but I was just wondering if anyone knows if the Biosciences with a Foundation Year is the same as the Life Sciences with a Foundation Year previously carried at Manchester University. If so, does this foundation year allow one to progress onto an optometry course.
Hi...ive got AABB with B in maths and physics and A in two languages. Ive applied for optometry in manchester 5 weeks ago but with only 5 days till the deadline and no reply, im starting to get worried, should i apply for the life sciences?? Any advice please??!!
Hi I'm currently starting the biosciences foundation year and I just wanted to get people's responses about their experience of it and especially as most of it is taught as xaverian college. And the difficulty?
Reply 57
Is it easy or hard to pass the foundation year?
Reply 58
Original post by Auvizit
Is it easy or hard to pass the foundation year?

the content is almost identical to A level biology and AS chem - the math is all statistics however the exams are much easier - so yeah it's really easy to pass
Hello, was the exams fairly hard to pass and I didn't do maths a level so would you say it will be a struggle or is it really supportive and not to bad to pick up`/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending