The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University of Manchester life science foundation year

Hi, I've recently passed the foundation year for life science so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey I just got my AS results and thinking of applying for this course in September. Do you mind me asking what grades you got and the offer you were given from the university to gain access onto the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Jadoreidior
Hey I just got my AS results and thinking of applying for this course in September. Do you mind me asking what grades you got and the offer you were given from the university to gain access onto the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, the grades i got where BBB in chem, bio and psychology. I originally applied for biomed, i got an offer but i didn't get the grades so i was offered the foundation year shortly after. But some of my friends in the foundation year got BCC at a level, so i guess your personal statement also plays a big part if you get an offer to the foundation year or not.
Original post by jknightt
Hi, I've recently passed the foundation year for life science so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

May I know how difficult to pass the Foundation year?
What if someone fails the exam?
Reply 4
Original post by KwongKwong
May I know how difficult to pass the Foundation year?
What if someone fails the exam?

Theres a lot to learn especially in biology as they try and pack AS and A2 bio into 1 year however unlike the A-level exams the questions are simple and get straight to the point. So id say that in terms of difficulty is probably a bit easier than A2 A levels.
if someone fails the exam you can retake the exams in august. but you can make up for that failed exam if you do well in another exam thats worth more, such as if you fail one of the chem exams but get good grades in a bio exams your grades would even out.
thanks a lot for your advice. I got BCC for my A level.
Do you think if it worth the extra foundation year?
If I pass the foundation year, can I choose any subject within the Life Science Faculty?
Reply 7

They said there were no places left for the course now :s-smilie: unless you mean to apply next year
Reply 8

I'm my opinion the foundation year is worth it, it opens more possibilities and choices for you in UoM e.g i originally applied for biomed but after the foundation year my results where higher than expected so i was allowed to go into optometry (which i would have needed AAB to get in)
Reply 9
If I pass the foundation year, can I choose any subject within the Life Science Faculty?

yes you can choose any subject however for certain courses you need to get good grades in the subject its related too e.g to get into pharmacology you need to get a B in chemistry or to get into optometry you need to get AAB. For courses such as biology thought you would only need to get 22 points out of 30 which would be about BBB.
yes you can choose any subject however for certain courses you need to get good grades in the subject its related too e.g to get into pharmacology you need to get a B in chemistry or to get into optometry you need to get AAB. For courses such as biology thought you would only need to get 22 points out of 30 which would be about BBB.

Hi Jknightt, thank you for your great advice. :smile:
Hi, the grades i got where BBB in chem, bio and psychology. I originally applied for biomed, i got an offer but i didn't get the grades so i was offered the foundation year shortly after. But some of my friends in the foundation year got BCC at a level, so i guess your personal statement also plays a big part if you get an offer to the foundation year or not.

Thanks, I am currently writing my personal statement for my application onto the foundation course, do you have any tips on what UoM like on the statement for example an emphasis on work experience etc. ?
Reply 12
Original post by Jadoreidior
Thanks, I am currently writing my personal statement for my application onto the foundation course, do you have any tips on what UoM like on the statement for example an emphasis on work experience etc. ?

I think the most important part is that you show that you gained work experience in job thats relates to any life science course as this would show your commitment to the degree. Such as for my work experience I spent a few weeks in a cancer research hospital.
Reply 13
Hi there,

I'm starting a foundation year this September for Politics at MMU. I was wondering what your course entailed. Was there an exam or any coursework to pass your foundation year?
Original post by imsylar
Hi there,

I'm starting a foundation year this September for Politics at MMU. I was wondering what your course entailed. Was there an exam or any coursework to pass your foundation year?

Foundation years differ significantly between subjects and institutions. You're unlikely to learn anything useful from UoM's Life Sciences foundation year, I'd suggest posting in the MMU subforum instead.
Reply 15
Original post by imsylar
Hi there,

Theres a fair amount of work needed, the course is split into 2 semesters and each semesters there would be two coursework given and 5 exams, (2 for bio, 2 for chem and 1 for maths). The coursework is mostly research work and needs to be about 2000 words long. there are also lab assessment that test lab skills and results gained from the labs. (don't worry its not as scary as it sounds, theres a lot of help give especially in labs and as long as you go over the booklet given you should be fine in the exams.) There are also mini multiple choice test given after each module which count to you final grade. Yours may be different though since you're doing politics but the foundation year usually follows the same structure as a university course.
Reply 16
hi how many people are in the year and classes?? and how much time a day is spent in class working etc?? thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by leedsdb
hi how many people are in the year and classes?? and how much time a day is spent in class working etc?? thanks

There's about 30 people in the class but there's always a few that drop out, you'll spend about 5 hours a day in lessons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
wow long day. Monday to Friday?
Reply 19
Original post by leedsdb
wow long day. Monday to Friday?

About that, on one day you'll only get like 1 or 2 lessons

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending