The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University of Manchester accommodation Hulme hall

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheFuture001
Well I just decided that I liked the proximity of Victoria Hall, not too far, not right in the centre, as well as it's green spaces. I haven't had much to really look into what the campuses are like tbh, I suppose if I didn't mind how far it is from the centre I'd like Fallowfields.

I suppose so. I guess sacrifice the ensuite, maybe. I do take awhile in the bathroom, so my own personal space would be preferable.

Am kind of wanting a personal view of these halls, have looked at the faq already, it only gives an okay description of Burkhardt whilst the rest simply have those picture unavailable icons.

I'm guessing you are/were a student at UoM. Where did you stay and what is/was it like?

The difference in the time it takes to get to campus from Victoria Park compared to Fallowfield is fairly negligible. While Victoria Park is physically closer, Fallowfield has the advantage of being on the same road which helps bus times.

A lot of new students seem to have an irrational fear of shared bathrooms when they're really not bad at all. Personally I wouldn't say having an ensuite is worth the price or hassle, considering rooms that have one receive more applications.

I know the descriptions on the FAQ can be a bit of a mixed bag. The only thing I can suggest is that you post on that thread or the individual threads for each hall. This thread is for Hulme Hall so you're unlikely to get any decent responses here. There's also a page here with some pictures on, though they're also severely lacking in some areas.

I'm a current student but I've never lived in halls so I don't have any personal experience to share, unfortunately.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
The difference in the time it takes to get to campus from Victoria Park compared to Fallowfield is fairly negligible. While Victoria Park is physically closer, Fallowfield has the advantage of being on the same road which helps bus times.

A lot of new students seem to have an irrational fear of shared bathrooms when they're really not bad at all. Personally I wouldn't say having an ensuite is worth the price or hassle, considering rooms that have one receive more applications.

I know the descriptions on the FAQ can be a bit of a mixed bag. The only thing I can suggest is that you post on that thread or the individual threads for each hall. This thread is for Hulme Hall so you're unlikely to get any decent responses here. There's also a page here with some pictures on, though they're also severely lacking in some areas.

I'm a current student but I've never lived in halls so I don't have any personal experience to share, unfortunately.

Oh I see. Is it unusual, for someone in Victoria Park halls at least (if you are aware), to walk to the university site? If it is and I end up just taking bus regardless, then I suppose it might be more worthwhile to consider Fallowfields too.

I've read that Burkhardt house and Hulme Hall are almost the same thing, or have I inferred incorrectly? I believe it was called its "sister hall".

Oh thanks for the help anyway. At least from the outside/aesthetically, or for whatever reason, do you have any preference or halls which you like the look of better than others? I kind of like the idea of having open, green spaces to relax in.
Oh I see. Is it unusual, for someone in Victoria Park halls at least (if you are aware), to walk to the university site? If it is and I end up just taking bus regardless, then I suppose it might be more worthwhile to consider Fallowfields too.

I've read that Burkhardt house and Hulme Hall are almost the same thing, or have I inferred incorrectly? I believe it was called its "sister hall".

Oh thanks for the help anyway. At least from the outside/aesthetically, or for whatever reason, do you have any preference or halls which you like the look of better than others? I kind of like the idea of having open, green spaces to relax in.

I'm not sure how many people walk to the university regularly but the majority definitely take the bus. It is possible to walk it in less than half an hour though.

Burkhardt House and Hulme Hall are right next to each other so they share a lot of the same facilities and even the same JCR. They're still technically two different halls though, with the main difference between them being the fact that Burkhardt is self-catered and ensuite, while Hulme is catered and shared bathroom.

I don't really have a huge preference in terms of individual halls as I've never needed to choose any but in terms of campuses, I would personally pick Fallowfield. It's the most social campus and is in what I consider to be the nicest area. It probably has the most open and green spaces out of the three as well, being the furthest from the city centre.
I'm not sure how many people walk to the university regularly but the majority definitely take the bus. It is possible to walk it in less than half an hour though.

Burkhardt House and Hulme Hall are right next to each other so they share a lot of the same facilities and even the same JCR. They're still technically two different halls though, with the main difference between them being the fact that Burkhardt is self-catered and ensuite, while Hulme is catered and shared bathroom.

I don't really have a huge preference in terms of individual halls as I've never needed to choose any but in terms of campuses, I would personally pick Fallowfield. It's the most social campus and is in what I consider to be the nicest area. It probably has the most open and green spaces out of the three as well, being the furthest from the city centre.

I was hoping it would be a 10-15 minute walk, I guess I won't be considering distance as a factor anymore then.

Ah I guess I'll comment on the individual threads instead. I read a review from 5 years that said the (under-)ground floor at Burkhart was total c*ap, so I'm unsure about that one. I would expect they'd have made changes since then though.

That's a very helpful piece of information, if that is the case I think I will make Richmond Park one of my top choices.

Do you think it really matters much which accommodation you get in the the end? Wondering if I'm thinking too much into it.
I was hoping it would be a 10-15 minute walk, I guess I won't be considering distance as a factor anymore then.

Ah I guess I'll comment on the individual threads instead. I read a review from 5 years that said the (under-)ground floor at Burkhart was total c*ap, so I'm unsure about that one. I would expect they'd have made changes since then though.

That's a very helpful piece of information, if that is the case I think I will make Richmond Park one of my top choices.

Do you think it really matters much which accommodation you get in the the end? Wondering if I'm thinking too much into it.

I think it matters less than people think it does. It sounds slightly cliché but your life in halls is what you make it, it's perfectly possible to enjoy your time in any of the halls. That said, they do have their differences in terms of style and atmosphere so there's nothing wrong with trying to get into the one you like the most.

I'm still surprised how much people on here stress out about which hall they get, I expect most of them will be wondering why they were so worried after they've been there a few weeks.
I think it matters less than people think it does. It sounds slightly cliché but your life in halls is what you make it, it's perfectly possible to enjoy your time in any of the halls. That said, they do have their differences in terms of style and atmosphere so there's nothing wrong with trying to get into the one you like the most.

I'm still surprised how much people on here stress out about which hall they get, I expect most of them will be wondering why they were so worried after they've been there a few weeks.

For sure,, unless you're on the ground floor of Burkhardt x'D

I'll probably just pick Richmond Park as my first, then two from Victoria Park campus, and if I don't get any of those will be content as long as I have self-catered.

Thanks for your help!
For sure,, unless you're on the ground floor of Burkhardt x'D

I'll probably just pick Richmond Park as my first, then two from Victoria Park campus, and if I don't get any of those will be content as long as I have self-catered.

Thanks for your help!

No problem, good luck with your application. :smile:
Reply 27
Hi guys,
I got an offer for Hulme Hall. Does the cost include the catering cost or do we pay separately for that? And how much is it if the cost is separate? Also, how do we pay for catering?
Also, is there a free bus to go from Victoria Park to the campus?
And do we get a hob in the kitchen or just microwave?
Last question, is it true that I have to pay £400 deposit?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nina77
Hi guys,
I got an offer for Hulme Hall. Does the cost include the catering cost or do we pay separately for that? And how much is it if the cost is separate? Also, how do we pay for catering?
Also, is there a free bus to go from Victoria Park to the campus?
And do we get a hob in the kitchen or just microwave?
Last question, is it true that I have to pay £400 deposit?

Your rent includes meals so there are no extra costs to worry about. There are more details on catered halls here.

There isn't a free bus from Victoria Park, only one between the main campus and Sackville Street. I'd recommend getting a unirider ticket as it will be the cheapest way of travelling (other than walking of course).

I can't find any information on what sort of cooking equipment you'll have, sorry.
Reply 29
Hi in the price you pay, catering is included, yes there is a free bus that takes you from hulme to the university. You get both a hob and a microwave but in some blocks there is no oven. Yah you have to pay the 400 deposit but if you email them your circumstances they can extend the deadline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jknightt
there is a free bus that takes you from hulme to the university.

There is?
Reply 31
There is?

Yah, I can't remember what number it is but you just have to show them your student card and its takes you all the way to the city campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yah, I can't remember what number it is but you just have to show them your student card and its takes you all the way to the city campus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We must be thinking of the same one then, it's the 147 I think. I knew it went kind of down by the hospitals but I didn't realise how close Hulme Hall was to the route.
Reply 33
Do they provide a kettle, a fridge and a freezer in the kitchen?
Is there wifi in the bedrooms?
Between how many people do you share the bathrooms with and is this mixed or single sex toilets?
Sorry for the questions!
Hi in the price you pay, catering is included, yes there is a free bus that takes you from hulme to the university. You get both a hob and a microwave but in some blocks there is no oven. Yah you have to pay the 400 deposit but if you email them your circumstances they can extend the deadline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
We must be thinking of the same one then, it's the 147 I think. I knew it went kind of down by the hospitals but I didn't realise how close Hulme Hall was to the route.

How frequent does this bus come?
Original post by Nina77
How frequent does this bus come?

Every 10 minutes.
Reply 36
Original post by Nina77
Do they provide a kettle, a fridge and a freezer in the kitchen?
Is there wifi in the bedrooms?
Between how many people do you share the bathrooms with and is this mixed or single sex toilets?
Sorry for the questions!

Hahah it's ok I'm happy to answer your questions. Yah it comes with kettles, fridge/freezer, toaster even a sandwich press if your lucky! There's unlimited wifi in all the rooms, the connection is not the most reliable sometimes tho. The bathrooms are single sex with a few showers and toilets, you would probably share with about 10 people (I shared with over 15) it's really not that bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it come all the way down to Victoria Park though? Seems like its only free inside the university campus
Reply 38
Original post by EllieLC
Does it come all the way down to Victoria Park though? Seems like its only free inside the university campus

Yah I'm not sure where it ends but there is a bus stop across the road from tesco near hulme hall where I know it stops.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Hi, I got allocated Greenwood but when I payed the price its for the refurbished room, think it was £5,665 or similar, but it mentions that Greenwood is old and not that nice compared to the other blocks in hulme hall above???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending