The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Vieux jeune nouveau
vilain joli beau
court long
mauvais bon
grand petit gros

The adjectives which come before describe beauty, age, number, size or how good/bad something is.
suuuuuuseh
Vieux jeune nouveau
vilain joli beau
court long
mauvais bon
grand petit gros

The adjectives which come before describe beauty, age, number, size or how good/bad something is.

Aha! Merci :biggrin:
Reply 3
HearTheThunder
Aha! Merci :biggrin:

De rien. :smile:
Any adjective can go before the noun. It's just not usual. Usually adjectives describe the noun in some way, but in the very rare case that the noun is significantly more important than the adjective, the adjective can go before. Compare "les principales choses" and "les choses principales". The first has a lot more emphasis on "choses" (you see why it's not common? :p:) and the second on "principales".

Besides, some adjectives mean different things depending on where they go, e.g. ancien (old or former) and propre (own or tidy)
Reply 5
generalebriety
Any adjective can go before the noun. It's just not usual. Usually adjectives describe the noun in some way, but in the very rare case that the noun is significantly more important than the adjective, the adjective can go before. Compare "les principales choses" and "les choses principales". The first has a lot more emphasis on "choses" (you see why it's not common? :p:) and the second on "principales".

Besides, some adjectives mean different things depending on where they go, e.g. ancien (old or former) and propre (own or tidy)

I was going to mention "ancien" actually- you don't want to go around saying: "mon professeur ancien". :p:
suuuuuuseh
I was going to mention "ancien" actually- you don't want to go around saying: "mon professeur ancien". :p:

But what if they are 'ancien'? :biggrin:
Reply 7
kellywood_5
But what if they are 'ancien'? :biggrin:

Good point :biggrin:- I can think of a few teachers for whom that might apply to.. :p:
suuuuuuseh
Good point :biggrin:- I can think of a few teachers for whom that might apply to.. :p:

It's a great way to get away with calling them old to their face as well- as long as they don't teach you anymore, you can just say you got confused and you meant former :wink:
Reply 9
suuuuuuseh

An image of ancient, creaky French teachers suddenly popped into my mind there :wink:
suuuuuuseh
Vieux jeune nouveau
vilain joli beau
court long
mauvais bon
grand petit gros

N'oubliez pas <<autre>> et <<propre>>
Reply 11
korektphool
N'oubliez pas <<autre>> et <<propre>>

Bien vu. :smile: Propre avant le nom= own; propre après= clean.
Ma propre tete propre. *nods*
I have seen autre coming after the noun, actually. :p: Can't remember the context. It wasn't particularly 'old' French either... just, really posh and pretentious. :p:
Reply 14
generalebriety
I have seen autre coming after the noun, actually. :p: Can't remember the context. It wasn't particularly 'old' French either... just, really posh and pretentious. :p:

Ooh, and it's sometimes a preposition too, so yeah I suppose it depends on the context.
Reply 15
Mauvais, mechant, vilain, beau,Petit, haut, vieux, joli, gros.Nouveaux, gentil, jeune et bon,Grande et meilleur, vaste et longe!Courtesy of the fabulous Mrs Dunk. Never forgotten it : )

Latest

Trending

Trending