The Student Room Group

Do I go for Cambridge or Oxford?

Hi, I've gotten my AS today which have confirmed I should be applying to Oxbridge. However the problem is, I'm stuck as to which one I should actually go for.
I prefer the Cambridge course as although I want to end up with a Astrophysics/Physics Masters, the Nat Sci will let me do things like chemistry and biology at university level, which is quite important to me. However, Cambridge doesn't take much notice of GCSEs in which I did quite well and wanted to use to my advantage, and they also get my UMS scores. I am averaging around 90% if you add up my scores from all subjects together, and here are individual scores:
Maths: 93%
Physics: 93%
Chemistry: 86%
Biology: 88%
General Studies: 81%
Polish (mothers tongue): 95%
However I'm resiting a module in chemistry as I'm confident I can pull it up to 90%.
Now if I was to apply for Oxford, they'd be able to see 6As and good GCSEs, but I'd then be applying for just physics.
Can someone please advise me whether to risk it and apply for the preferred joint honours at Cambridge as my UMS aren't as high as they probably should be, or should I go for Oxford where I might be more likely to be accepted? I will still be happy doing a Physics Masters straight away, I'll just be sad to leave the other sciences behind. I also like both Universities so the only thing that I'm bothered about mainly is my chances of getting in.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RonnieRJ
Hi, I've gotten my AS today which have confirmed I should be applying to Oxbridge. However the problem is, I'm stuck as to which one I should actually go for.
I prefer the Cambridge course as although I want to end up with a Astrophysics/Physics Masters, the Nat Sci will let me do things like chemistry and biology at university level, which is quite important to me. However, Cambridge doesn't take much notice of GCSEs in which I did quite well and wanted to use to my advantage, and they also get my UMS scores. I am averaging around 90% if you add up my scores from all subjects together, and here are individual scores:
Maths: 93%
Physics: 93%
Chemistry: 86%
Biology: 88%
General Studies: 81%
Polish (mothers tongue): 95%
However I'm resiting a module in chemistry as I'm confident I can pull it up to 90%.
Now if I was to apply for Oxford, they'd be able to see 6As and good GCSEs, but I'd then be applying for just physics.
Can someone please advise me whether to risk it and apply for the preferred joint honours at Cambridge as my UMS aren't as high as they probably should be, or should I go for Oxford where I might be more likely to be accepted? I will still be happy doing a Physics Masters straight away, I'll just be sad to leave the other sciences behind. I also like both Universities so the only thing that I'm bothered about mainly is my chances of getting in.

Your UMS should be fine for Nat Sci at Cambridge, your chances of an interview at Oxford would depend on the PAT.

Really I would just go for the course you prefer. If you're good enough to get in at one, you're generally good enough to get in at the other :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Lucilou101
Your UMS should be fine for Nat Sci at Cambridge, your chances of an interview at Oxford would depend on the PAT.

Really I would just go for the course you prefer. If you're good enough to get in at one, you're generally good enough to get in at the other :smile:

Thank you so much! I just didn't want to get rejected from Cambridge and upset myself with the fact I could've had a better chance at Oxford :frown:
If you don't mind what were your gcse results?
Reply 4
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
Cam

but you are a troll

Lol ok
image.png

Original post by Foreverton
If you don't mind what were your gcse results?

8A*s and 2As
Not as brill as other people's but went to a school where I think like 30% got 5A*-C so
Why no f maths Ronnie ?
What??
Lmao that's me mate do u need my Instagram/Twitter or something???

And aw good luck!

lmao never mind.

Yes you too!

Same college?

Nat Sci is the hardest course at Cam from what I have heard, do you do any entrance papers?
Reply 7
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
lmao never mind.

Yes you too!

Same college?

Nat Sci is the hardest course at Cam from what I have heard, do you do any entrance papers?

Exactly haha, but thanks
And no Magdalenes :smile: well for my college specifically there's some sort of a test at interview but that's all!
Lol ok
image.png

8A*s and 2As
Not as brill as other people's but went to a school where I think like 30% got 5A*-C so

Oh okay that's definitely good enough to go to either. It might or might not help you but I've heard that it's easier to get an interview at Cambridge but harder afterwards and it's the opposite for Oxford. Not sure if it's true though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Oh okay that's definitely good enough to go to either. It might or might not help you but I've heard that it's easier to get an interview at Cambridge but harder afterwards and it's the opposite for Oxford. Not sure if it's true though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw thank you and yeah it is true I think I read somewhere that Cambridge interviews sort of 80% applicants but Oxford only about 40%? Not sure how true that is but yeah!
I have zero qualifications to say it but Cambridge every time :colonhash:
Exactly haha, but thanks
And no Magdalenes :smile: well for my college specifically there's some sort of a test at interview but that's all!

I see. It is easier to get an interview from Cam, but generally harder to meet the offers.

Do you edexcel maths/ocr sciences/aqa general studies.

Couldn't do bio but doing three math a levels amongst others :smile:
Right now Cambridge is surpassing Oxford...but the latter will always be the most famous one.
Original post by 06sulraj
Right now Cambridge is surpassing Oxford...but the latter will always be the most famous one.

Are you referring to qs world rankings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you referring to qs world rankings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, but she should go to whichever she feels comfortable in.
Yeah, but she should go to whichever she feels comfortable in.

Obviously but I was just wondering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it really that hard to get an interview from Oxford?
Is it really that hard to get an interview from Oxford?

Check this out http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh brother.

Umm what

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending