University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex - 2015 Freshers Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by angelfox
do we have to create a guest account on the SU website to get tickets?

If you haven't received your login details yet then yeah you can buy tickets through a guest account.

You should receive login details soon though providing you've registered for this year!
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by Jess194
If you haven't received your login details yet then yeah you can buy tickets through a guest account.

You should receive login details soon though providing you've registered for this year!

login details for the SU or what?
Reply 42
login details for the SU or what?

Yeah you'll get an essex email address assigned to you that you'll use to log in to the su website, your email account, Moodle and any other essex related websites :smile:
Original post by Jess194
Yeah you'll get an essex email address assigned to you that you'll use to log in to the su website, your email account, Moodle and any other essex related websites :smile:

is that after you complete the pre registration form thingy?
Original post by RiddhiShukla
HEY i'm studying lit too!

oh my god, hey!!
do we have to create a guest account on the SU website to get tickets?

Just bought tickets for 27th and 28th ,logged in with university username and pass ,worked fine for me ,
is that after you complete the pre registration form thingy?

Hello,

Yes after you've completed those forms you should be given an essex email address, that's what you'll use to buy tickets. But don't worry if you haven't got that yet as you can just create a guest account to buy them for now.

^Natalie.
ffs sold out of the two week freshers pass, so I went for the full term one
Thank you so much!

Out of interest what accommodation did you have in your first year?

I was living in the University Quays (not in campus). For my transport after clubbing in Sub Zero I was using the SU bus, for only 1 pound. The driver makes sure that you are going safe back home, and drives you just right out of your door :smile:

^Andriana
Reply 49
Original post by shannon.rose
I'm also going into my third year, but I study biomedical science :smile: and I'll be staying in meadows!
Let me know if you guys have any questions :smile:
^Shannon

Hi Shannon, I'm new MSc student at Essex and now looking to rent a double room/ studio/flat for me and my wife. We are from Vietnam and only arrive in Cochester on 1st of Oct. Do you know any agents that can help us?
This is just a random question but does anyone know if you'll need a shower curtain for an en-suite room and also are you allowed to change the curtains and put your own up.
do we get sent a wristband in the post if we bought a freshers ticket pass or what?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Leo.t
Hi Shannon, I'm new MSc student at Essex and now looking to rent a double room/ studio/flat for me and my wife. We are from Vietnoam and only arrive in Cochester on 1st of Oct. Do you know any agents that can help us?

Yes certainly! We have our own letting agent called "SU Lets" which can be found on the University of Essex Students Union page (or you can just type su lets Essex into Google). They will have properties available in the local area and also don't charge any commission!

An alternative option is to look into the Maltings accommodation, it is close to the University and they have studio flats available which may be reasonable when splitting rent costs. The flats are very modern and there will be lots of other students living in this accommodation type.

Hope that helped! Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:
^Shannon
Original post by Riss2013
This is just a random question but does anyone know if you'll need a shower curtain for an en-suite room and also are you allowed to change the curtains and put your own up.

Nope, en suite come with shower curtain fitted and are most are in a wet room style (so may not need shower curtain) I think they put in new shower curtains each year for hygiene reasons.

I don't think you can change the curtains in the bedroom however I know friends that have. As long as you leave the room as you found it when you leave I'm sure that would be okay :smile:
^Shannon
do we get sent a wristband in the post if we bought a freshers ticket pass or what?

Nope you can collect it when you arrive. You'll be sent an email (most likely next week) of where you can collect it and at what times. In previous years you just pick it up from the students union on the first day of freshers.
^Shannon
I don't think you can change the curtains in the bedroom however I know friends that have. As long as you leave the room as you found it when you leave I'm sure that would be okay :smile:
^Shannon

Great thanks! im also wondering if you know if I have to buy tv license if Im going to use the internet to watch programmes on bbc iplayer and youtube etc
Original post by Riss2013

Great thanks! im also wondering if you know if I have to buy tv license if Im going to use the internet to watch programmes on bbc iplayer and youtube etc

If you are watching LIVE TV then you need a licence - however if you watch programmes a few minutes after they have been aired on I player etc then you will not require a TV license :smile: also YouTube doesn't require a license.

^Shannon
How late have any of you applied for accomodation? I applied through clearing and it's taken my teacher ages to write me a reference so they haven't even finalised my application yet so I don't have a log in or know my timetable or anything. Do you think there's any chance of there being place in halls left or not? When is official move in date?
Original post by HarrietBailey
How late have any of you applied for accomodation? I applied through clearing and it's taken my teacher ages to write me a reference so they haven't even finalised my application yet so I don't have a log in or know my timetable or anything. Do you think there's any chance of there being place in halls left or not? When is official move in date?

Hi Harriet,
Sorry to hear that! Unfortunately the university can't GUARENTEE accommodation on campus however they will be able to try and find you accommodation and perhaps put you on a waiting list.

If this is unsuccessful there are numerous student accommodation companies situated in Colchester who you could get in contact with regarding a place such as: Avon way (I lived there this year), forest road house, the Maltings etc. so it may be worth contacting these companies and explaining your situation to see if they can reserve you a place should your on campus application be unsuccessful :smile:

Move in date is next Sunday (27th September) however you can still move in after this date.
^Shannon
Original post by shannon.rose
Nope you can collect it when you arrive. You'll be sent an email (most likely next week) of where you can collect it and at what times. In previous years you just pick it up from the students union on the first day of freshers.
^Shannon

ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending