The Student Room Group

are my chances of studying at a RG uni over?

so I got my AS results today & I got:

History - A
Eng Lit - B
Politics - B
Psychology - C

Even though I got a C in psychology, it's my fave subject & I would love to continue with it (I was two marks off a B) - this would mean my ucas grades would probably be ABC (dropping eng lit). Are these grades good enough to apply to RG uni's such as Birmingham, Liverpool etc? Or am I better off dropping Psychology?

Please help, results day has left me confused about my future prospects 😭

Scroll to see replies

No.

I got ABCD in my AS, and had predicted A's. Got offers from Leeds/Newcastle/Sheffield/Liverpool/Lancaster. In my A2 I got A*BB, and firmed my place at Liverpool for Law.

Good luck xx
Reply 2
To put your mind at ease, I am at a Russell Group university and I got a lot worse grades than that.

If you want to get into a good one, moving your grades from Bs to As isn't impossible, and, I dare to say, very difficult. Put the effort in and you will definitely be in with a shot at getting 3 As. If not, don't panic: you can get into RG universities with less. I am living proof. Whether you think it's worth getting into Russell Group unis with less is an entirely different matter :wink:

Best of luck!
Reply 3
Original post by AMT6
No.

I got ABCD in my AS, and had predicted A's. Got offers from Leeds/Newcastle/Sheffield/Liverpool/Lancaster. In my A2 I got A*BB, and firmed my place at Liverpool for Law.

Good luck xx

Wow, your grades are really good. Congratulations! Hopefully I'll be able to turn it around & get into a good uni 😊

Original post by AGT95
To put your mind at ease, I am at a Russell Group university and I got a lot worse grades than that.

If you want to get into a good one, moving your grades from Bs to As isn't impossible, and, I dare to say, very difficult. Put the effort in and you will definitely be in with a shot at getting 3 As. If not, don't panic: you can get into RG universities with less. I am living proof. Whether you think it's worth getting into Russell Group unis with less is an entirely different matter :wink:

Best of luck!

So reassuring to read your comment, thank you! I think I'll continue with psychology & with a LOT of hard work & a small miracle, hopefully I can get AAA 👌
Reply 4
bump 😊
Reply 5
Those are great grades! I am going to Bristol this September to study Law and my grades were lower than yours as AS, don't fret just work really hard this year :smile:
Original post by CBftw
so I got my AS results today & I got:

History - A
Eng Lit - B
Politics - B
Psychology - C

Even though I got a C in psychology, it's my fave subject & I would love to continue with it (I was two marks off a B) - this would mean my ucas grades would probably be ABC (dropping eng lit). Are these grades good enough to apply to RG uni's such as Birmingham, Liverpool etc? Or am I better off dropping Psychology?

Please help, results day has left me confused about my future prospects 😭

Given how close you were I would predict you a B in Psychology, but I'm not your teacher. :lol:

I think you'll be fine :smile:
No, they're not over. It depends on the subject of course but for most things you've still got plenty of avenues to get to an RG university. Briefly, these are:

1. Resit a few AS modules of Politics and Psychology (I see that you said you were dropping English Lit two weeks ago - I'm assuming this is still true) and work very hard to do well at A2. It is very possible to get A*s in the subjects you got Bs in at A-level because you need 80 percent overall but the 90 percent requirement only applies across the A2 modules so if you were studying a science subject (sorry, I don't know the UMS marks for others), and got a low B of 210/300 at AS, you could theoretically get 270/300 or more at A2, which would both give you 480/600 (80 percent) overall and 90 percent at A2, giving you an A*.

2. If the first option doesn't work, you could do post-A2 resits although the scope of these is limited depending on the subject you're applying for (medical and dental schools don't like resits but I'm presuming you're not going for those given your subjects) and the fact that next year is the final year of the old specification in many subjects. I'm not sure whether there will be legacy papers in 2017 for those subjects for which 2016 is the final year because, while that has happened with specification changes in the past, those changes haven't been accompanied by significant A-level reforms like they are this time around.

3. If you didn't make the grades you need at A2 and don't want to do post-A2 resits, have a look at Clearing vacancies advertised from results day onward. An increasing number of courses at RG universities have been advertised there in recent years, especially this year since some government cap on student numbers was apparently lifted and universities, trying to boost numbers and hence revenues, eagerly gave out low offers for what would normally be thought of as competitive subjects (cough Law cough).

4. Take a couple gap years and then do an accredited Access to Higher Education course (all the while checking that the universities you're applying to are still okay with them) and get lots of Level 3 credits at Distinction. This should put you in a strong position when applying to RG universities that accept them (even Cambridge accepts Access courses at its mature colleges).

Good luck and do well. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Wrf95
Those are great grades! I am going to Bristol this September to study Law and my grades were lower than yours as AS, don't fret just work really hard this year :smile:

That's a really great university well done! I'm thinking that Leicester will be my firm uni when I start applying (if I get an offer 😂). Do you have any tips for applying to study Law in general? 😊

Original post by SeanFM
Given how close you were I would predict you a B in Psychology, but I'm not your teacher. :lol:

I think you'll be fine :smile:

teacher predicted me a C 😕 - but still thinks I can get a B this year. So my predicted grades will be AAC, hopefully that'll be good enough to get offers from some good universities! Thanks for the reassurance 😊
Reply 9
Original post by Hydeman
No, they're not over. It depends on the subject of course but for most things you've still got plenty of avenues to get to an RG university. Briefly, these are:

1. Resit a few AS modules of Politics and Psychology (I see that you said you were dropping English Lit two weeks ago - I'm assuming this is still true) and work very hard to do well at A2. It is very possible to get A*s in the subjects you got Bs in at A-level because you need 80 percent overall but the 90 percent requirement only applies across the A2 modules so if you were studying a science subject (sorry, I don't know the UMS marks for others), and got a low B of 210/300 at AS, you could theoretically get 270/300 or more at A2, which would both give you 480/600 (80 percent) overall and 90 percent at A2, giving you an A*.

2. If the first option doesn't work, you could do post-A2 resits although the scope of these is limited depending on the subject you're applying for (medical and dental schools don't like resits but I'm presuming you're not going for those given your subjects) and the fact that next year is the final year of the old specification in many subjects. I'm not sure whether there will be legacy papers in 2017 for those subjects for which 2016 is the final year because, while that has happened with specification changes in the past, those changes haven't been accompanied by significant A-level reforms like they are this time around.

3. If you didn't make the grades you need at A2 and don't want to do post-A2 resits, have a look at Clearing vacancies advertised from results day onward. An increasing number of courses at RG universities have been advertised there in recent years, especially this year since some government cap on student numbers was apparently lifted and universities, trying to boost numbers and hence revenues, eagerly gave out low offers for what would normally be thought of as competitive subjects (cough Law cough).

4. Take a couple gap years and then do an accredited Access to Higher Education course (all the while checking that the universities you're applying to are still okay with them) and get lots of Level 3 credits at Distinction. This should put you in a strong position when applying to RG universities that accept them (even Cambridge accepts Access courses at its mature colleges).

Good luck and do well. :smile:

Wow, thanks for giving me such a detailed answer! I think the first option will probably be my best, since I wanna go to uni next year & clearing seems so stressful!
Original post by CBftw
Wow, thanks for giving me such a detailed answer! I think the first option will probably be my best, since I wanna go to uni next year & clearing seems so stressful!

Yeah, I'd go for the first if I were you. :smile: Least hassle.

Also, I forgot to mention: if none of those is any good, you can always do a distance learning course with the Open University and use that to apply to degree courses. :wink: So that's option 5.
I think you should drop Psychology and concentrate on the other A Levels and try and smash them.
Original post by CBftw

teacher predicted me a C 😕 - but still thinks I can get a B this year. So my predicted grades will be AAC, hopefully that'll be good enough to get offers from some good universities! Thanks for the reassurance 😊

Hmm. There is the possibility of doing all 4 subjects, but if you could be predicted an A or a B in English lit that seems to meet a fair few universities' entry requirements. You'll meet Liverpool's requirements, but some universities like Cardiff, Exeter want AAB / Birmingham, Newcastle AAA. (Just so I'm not cherry picking universities)
Reply 13
Original post by thecookiebear
I think you should drop Psychology and concentrate on the other A Levels and try and smash them.

I ended up dropping english lit, the A2 course didn't appeal to me at all. I'm going to get both my psychology papers remarked & hopefully increase my grades, then work from there 😊

Original post by SeanFM
Hmm. There is the possibility of doing all 4 subjects, but if you could be predicted an A or a B in English lit that seems to meet a fair few universities' entry requirements. You'll meet Liverpool's requirements, but some universities like Cardiff, Exeter want AAB / Birmingham, Newcastle AAA. (Just so I'm not cherry picking universities)

I think I'll apply to Leicester, Coventry, Liverpool or any other universities with AAB/ABB requirements. I really wanted to apply to Birmingham, but I don't think that'll be possible with AAC predicted grades, plus I'd have to do the LNAT 😭
Seriously, apply to birmingham. I had BCC achieved (gap year resorting after)
and 25 in the Lnat and got an offer from them. Did I t get in but I was one grade of their minimum offer and Sheffield accepted me which I am chuffed about and it is more of a pub city :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by neal95
Seriously, apply to birmingham. I had BCC achieved (gap year resorting after)
and 25 in the Lnat and got an offer from them. Did I t get in but I was one grade of their minimum offer and Sheffield accepted me which I am chuffed about and it is more of a pub city :smile:

maybe I'll apply, but Leicester has taken over Birmingham as my favourite uni atm - a lot of my friends go or want to go there, plus the uni is pretty good even though its not RG & they only need AAB which is probably more realistic for me than the AAA Birmingham needs.
Original post by CBftw
maybe I'll apply, but Leicester has taken over Birmingham as my favourite uni atm - a lot of my friends go or want to go there, plus the uni is pretty good even though its not RG & they only need AAB which is probably more realistic for me than the AAA Birmingham needs.

Fair enough I just was saying don't be scared to apply to top institutions because they definitely make lower offers.
Right now if you work your butt off you are likely to get A*AA(if you take the ABB subjects in your final year).
It depends where you want to apply to
Hell no! I know a girl at my college who got BCCC at AS then got A*AB at A2 and is now off to an RG.
i got ABCD at AS and got offers from 5 RG unis and ended up with A*BB at A2, try resitting a few modules to boost you grades and put in effort all year and its 100% possible, also while your predicted grades are important unis also look at lot at the rest of your application, a strong personal statement and references can really help (especially if you miss a grade on results day)
also it depends on how your school operates but with our predicted grades our teachers asked what we needed to get into uni and as long as it was a realistic grade they put what we needed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending