The Student Room Group

I failed my A-Levels any advice on the next steps

I applied for Computer Science I needed BBB or BBC for my firm and insurance choice. I achieved a DDE in my A-levels. Currently one Uni has declined and I am waiting for a response from the other one.
I have been looking at universities to apply to through Clearing and have come up with a shortlist of uni's to apply to. I have also been looking at apprenticeships that I could do.

If anyone knows any good apprenticeships that could function as a substitute for computer science or any good IT apprenticeships. Or the best next steps to proceed with Clearing. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Davidoss
I applied for Computer Science I needed BBB or BBC for my firm and insurance choice. I achieved a DDE in my A-levels. Currently one Uni has declined and I am waiting for a response from the other one.
I have been looking at universities to apply to through Clearing and have come up with a shortlist of uni's to apply to. I have also been looking at apprenticeships that I could do.

If anyone knows any good apprenticeships that could function as a substitute for computer science or any good IT apprenticeships. Or the best next steps to proceed with Clearing. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Have you decided that retaking or doing a foundation year is not for you?

Have you spoken to the uni you are waiting for a decision from? Have they said how long they will take to make the decision?

In order to enter clearing, you will need your insurance to reject you, you would then need to contact the unis you are interested in, and see if any of them give you an offer- the sooner you can do this the better, although there should still be lots of places available tomorrow.

An apprenticeship could also be a really good option, and could lead to going back into study in the future- if this is something that appeals, then definitely look into it. Do think about this, but unlike clearing it's not so time pressured, so maybe something to look into over the next week or so.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Hey there,

Sorry to hear you didn't get the grades you were hoping for today. There are lots of options open to you so don't get disheartened. It's good that you've started doing your research and come up with a shortlist of unis. :smile: Where are you thinking of applying to? Have you checked the UCAS Clearing courses to see what the entry requirements are?

You also have the option to take a year out and then retake your exams and reapply next year. :h: The most important thing right now is that you don't rush into any decisions.

If you have a look at the apprenticeship site on gov.uk you should be able to search for IT related apprenticeships.

Best of luck, if you've got any other questions let me know. We've also got a Clearing advice line which anyone can call (even if they're not thinking about Staffs) for help: 03702186241

Katie
:h:
Reply 3
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Have you decided that retaking or doing a foundation year is not for you?

Have you spoken to the uni you are waiting for a decision from? Have they said how long they will take to make the decision?

In order to enter clearing, you will need your insurance to reject you, you would then need to contact the unis you are interested in, and see if any of them give you an offer- the sooner you can do this the better, although there should still be lots of places available tomorrow.

An apprenticeship could also be a really good option, and could lead to going back into study in the future- if this is something that appeals, then definitely look into it. Do think about this, but unlike clearing it's not so time pressured, so maybe something to look into over the next week or so.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

I contacted the uni this morning but the said I should contact them again tomorrow morning. I have been looking at doing foundation year. I am not planning on resitting as I am already 19 years old.
Reply 4
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hey there,

Sorry to hear you didn't get the grades you were hoping for today. There are lots of options open to you so don't get disheartened. It's good that you've started doing your research and come up with a shortlist of unis. :smile: Where are you thinking of applying to? Have you checked the UCAS Clearing courses to see what the entry requirements are?

You also have the option to take a year out and then retake your exams and reapply next year. :h: The most important thing right now is that you don't rush into any decisions.

If you have a look at the apprenticeship site on gov.uk you should be able to search for IT related apprenticeships.

Best of luck, if you've got any other questions let me know. We've also got a Clearing advice line which anyone can call (even if they're not thinking about Staffs) for help: 03702186241

Katie
:h:

Thank you for the advice
Reply 5

Could go to college and get other qualifications that are equivalent to a-levels?
I contacted the uni this morning but the said I should contact them again tomorrow morning. I have been looking at doing foundation year. I am not planning on resitting as I am already 19 years old.

I mean, I didn't go to uni until I was 20, but if you don't think resitting is for you, that's fine.

It's not reasonable for them to keep you hanging forever, so if they haven't made a decision tomorrow morning, it's worth asking for a timescale at the very least. If you're serious about going through clearing, you will probably want to ask to be rejected tomorrow morning.

It's still possible your insurance will accept you, otherwise they would have rejected you by now.
Thank you for the advice

You're welcome - hope it all works out well for you :h:
Reply 8
qa apprenticeships and firebrand apprenticeships may be worth a look at

Hi there,

Computing apprenticeships are a really good option to get practical experience. The other thing you could look at is a Foundation Degree which kind of works like a hybrid between a degree and an apprenticeship - you get a higher level qualification but work experience is embedded and assessed throughout the course so you get the on-the-job skills too. They're taught at Colleges but awarded by universities, and if you do well you could go on and do an Honours top-up year at the end to get your full degree.

I know lots of colleges do Foundation Degrees in Computing so if there's a particular location you'd like to study in have a look around the Colleges nearby! We still have spaces on our Applied Computing Foundation Degree at Weston College and your grades might be good enough depending on your other experience - if you'd like to have a chat through your options give us a ring on 01934 411 409 :smile:

- Aislinn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending