The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2016 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yasmin#2
im getting 3 remarks so ill PM you when I get them back if they change
1,2 and 3 ums away from an A in 3 subjects and got it in French wby?
doing an EPQ this year

ah nice! ive only visited QMUL (which isn't very nice) and kings which I liked
the idea of doing the BMAT scares me though for leeds aha

and you too! the timing is so scary :frown:

Same here! It's so annoying (7ums) 3 marks off an A in chemistry, (3ums) 1 mark of an A in ICT and (9ums) 3 marks off a B in Biology. Im going to remark ICT but I think chemistry has a set mark scheme so they probably won't budge so I don't think I will. Also I'm resitting Biology so I don't think i'll remark it but I don't know because OCR has been in news about how they are "guesstimating marks" so I feel thats what they did to me. >:frown:. so overall I got BBBC but I'm hoping of getting AAB prediction.
I did EPQ at GCSE and I liked it but I did GPR this year and got M2 and I wanted to carry on with it but now I'm not sure :s

As for the BMAT I haven't even looked at it yet and I won't until I get the UK CAT out the way, which I find really hard :frown:
yeah the majority of unis let you but there are a few that don't like Birmingham, you'll have to double check before you apply

Birmingham doesn't accept retakes?? NOOOOOOO
I was planning to retake 3 exams for next year!!
Original post by yearlightbuzz
Birmingham doesn't accept retakes?? NOOOOOOO
I was planning to retake 3 exams for next year!!

image.jpgYup even at gcse
They're quite harsh i think
Reply 43
Hey guys, have any of you started writing your personal statements yet? It's so hard to get going on it to me personally..
Also, sitting the UKCAT on Saturday, so worried!!
Original post by TrayTrayDinh
Same here! It's so annoying (7ums) 3 marks off an A in chemistry, (3ums) 1 mark of an A in ICT and (9ums) 3 marks off a B in Biology. Im going to remark ICT but I think chemistry has a set mark scheme so they probably won't budge so I don't think I will. Also I'm resitting Biology so I don't think i'll remark it but I don't know because OCR has been in news about how they are "guesstimating marks" so I feel thats what they did to me. >:frown:. so overall I got BBBC but I'm hoping of getting AAB prediction.
I did EPQ at GCSE and I liked it but I did GPR this year and got M2 and I wanted to carry on with it but now I'm not sure :s

As for the BMAT I haven't even looked at it yet and I won't until I get the UK CAT out the way, which I find really hard :frown:

Deffo remark ict and maybe bio and chem too they could go up!
I think that guesstimating thing is a rumour because they declined to comment because they said they 'don't comment on speculation'
so don't let that out you off

Everyone finds ukcat hard trust me!
Deffo remark ict and maybe bio and chem too they could go up!
I think that guesstimating thing is a rumour because they declined to comment because they said they 'don't comment on speculation'
so don't let that out you off

Everyone finds ukcat hard trust me!

I need to speak to my teachers really need there opinions. Oh right ok thanks!
What are you getting in the UK CAT when you practice?
Reply 46
anyone got any useful tips on how to prepare for UKCAT?
And has anyone already done it?
Original post by TrayTrayDinh
I need to speak to my teachers really need there opinions. Oh right ok thanks!
What are you getting in the UK CAT when you practice?

Mines in a month so I'm saving the mocks till the end
I've only done medify VR and its a hit or miss tbh wby?
Mines in a month so I'm saving the mocks till the end
I've only done medify VR and its a hit or miss tbh wby?

Mines on the 2nd Sept :frown: I might have to move it if I'm not ready.
I've been using the books but my friend told me to use Medify so I might get it next week. DA is my worst, then VR
I've only been practising for a little over a week I've done the kaplan higher mock, my best atm is 642.5 so I have a long way to go before I feel ready
Reply 49
Has anyone done any work experience for dentistry?
I heard that you need at least 80 hours for it.
Reply 50
Original post by four4
It depends on the unis. In my opinion, that is a really good UKCAT score.
How did you prepare for it?

I worked through the Score Higher on the UKCAT by Kaplan book, I found it really helpful!
Reply 51
Original post by four4
Has anyone done any work experience for dentistry?
I heard that you need at least 80 hours for it.

I know most universities ask for a minimum of 10 days work experience in a general NHS practice which I did this summer. It depends on the universities you are looking to apply to, look on their course requirements and it should state the amount of time needed in a dental practice.
Reply 52
I got BBBB (all high so I might get them remarked) and I want to apply for dentistry. I have done some work experience in a private dental practice and with a orthodontist. I got 4 A*s, 5As and 1B (maths) in my GCSEs. My UKCAT is in 2 weeks and so far I'm getting around 690 average. Do I still stand a chance??
(edited 8 years ago)
I got ABBD this year in physics, biology, chemistry and maths :frown: I'm remarking my biology as i was only a few ums of an A. Ive got work experience in a GDP and dental hospitals. Im retaking my maths modules as well as my chemistry modules.

Do i have any hope in getting into the course? Are gap years recommended?
I got AAA in my AS levels in Maths, Biology and Chemistry and then got an E!!!!! in History!! Do you think I can still get in?! I have no idea how I got an E!! I'm planning on retaking the History exam but am worried that universities will see the E I got for AS and reject me.. ANY ADVICE?
Original post by MinnieMe
I just got my A2 results and I'm thinking about going on a gap year. I got A*AB in Bio, Maths and Chem respectively. I applied for Med this year but because I dropped an A i missed my offer. In hindsight, that may have been for the best as I think I would prefer Dentistry as I think I will be able to lead a more balanced life in terms of being social and spending time with family etc.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if I should apply to Dentistry or not as it may be quite a risk as King's would be the only place I could apply to (I think?). I dunno... Any advice? Oh and i also have an offer for Pharmacy that im considering but not too keen on.

To be truly honest to you (as this will be helpful) I think that if you are having doubts about medicine then it isnt the course for you. It's very hard and very long so you need to be motivated 110%!

Why would kings be the only place you could apply to?

If you are looking for a healthcare related profession that has reasonable hours etc., maybe pharmacy could be the thing for you? I am not sure if universities would be able to find out that you previously applied to medicine but if they can, when you apply for dentistry they may ask you why you changed your mind in the interview. This can make you seem a bit fickle as once again, they are looking for people who know exactly what they want to do because dentistry is a long vocational course that can only result in a a dental related job. They need to know you're in it for the long run!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Original post by nimrahrahrah
I got AAA in my AS levels in Maths, Biology and Chemistry and then got an E!!!!! in History!! Do you think I can still get in?! I have no idea how I got an E!! I'm planning on retaking the History exam but am worried that universities will see the E I got for AS and reject me.. ANY ADVICE?

I think you have a really good chance! I did history too and was really hoping for an A but got only a b. your other three as grades are amazing so dont worry too much as its your a levels that matter the most. however, maybe you should steer away from unis that definitely was a B for the four as level...
Original post by themuzbo
I know most universities ask for a minimum of 10 days work experience in a general NHS practice which I did this summer. It depends on the universities you are looking to apply to, look on their course requirements and it should state the amount of time needed in a dental practice.

Work experience is very important. How long you do it for is not important but what you got out of it is. The only exception (that i know of) is Newcastle, which require you to have two weeks experience.
As far as I know it's about 3 A's, 4th doesn't even account.
Original post by secretsuperstar
I think you have a really good chance! I did history too and was really hoping for an A but got only a b. your other three as grades are amazing so dont worry too much as its your a levels that matter the most. however, maybe you should steer away from unis that definitely was a B for the four as level...
Original post by MAnnaMM
Hey guys, have any of you started writing your personal statements yet? It's so hard to get going on it to me personally..
Also, sitting the UKCAT on Saturday, so worried!!

Good luck!
I havent started yet and i dont know where to! lol

Quick Reply

Latest