The Student Room Group

Too old?

Hi all. I've asked this question in the earth sciences forum but I also wanted to ask here for obvious reasons.

I'm almost 34. Am I too old to study to become a geoscientist or oceanographer? Do you think employers are only after young talent in this field?

I know in one respect I should stick to the 'never too old' line I keep telling myself. But in reality, I imagine it's harder to get into certain fields when you're older. I could be wrong and I hope I am. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!
Original post by arkham
Hi all. I've asked this question in the earth sciences forum but I also wanted to ask here for obvious reasons.

I'm almost 34. Am I too old to study to become a geoscientist or oceanographer? Do you think employers are only after young talent in this field?

I know in one respect I should stick to the 'never too old' line I keep telling myself. But in reality, I imagine it's harder to get into certain fields when you're older. I could be wrong and I hope I am. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Your never too old to learn.

If you live in Scotland I can recommend the SWAP program for Mature Students and the degree link program.

http://www.scottishwideraccess.org

http://www.rgu.ac.uk/future-students/degree-link

Can't comment on the situation for Mature students inthe rest of the UK as I'm not very knowledgable in that area.

Good luck with your studies.
I know very little about those fields specifically, but wasn't Jacques Cousteau still professionally active into his 60s/70s? I'm not being flippant and I understand he's an exceptional case, but surely as he has illustrated, there's no inherent reason why you can't be successful in those fields, at least in some capacity, in your 40s and beyond?

As far as academic study in general is concerned, don't worry too much about your age. You're certainly not that old - I'm a few years older than you and I'm starting an undergrad degree this September. I know of a few others who are into their 40s and 50s and are also starting a degree this year. One thing you will have to bear in mind is that it could be a bit of a long road to travel - you might need to do an Access to HE Diploma or equivalent to get on the degree course in the first place (it's not absolutely certain you will; it depends on your particular circumstances), in which case that's a year or two of pre-uni study. Then there's the 3 years undergrad study, and if this info is reliable then you'd probably want to be studying much further at postgrad level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending