The Student Room Group

!!!!!!!!Medicine Still Possible?!!!!! Please HELP!!!

Hi, I achieved 2A* 2A 6B and 1C at GCSE. And at AS I got 3C and 1B (B in Biology - C in chemistry, physics and mathematics). Well looking at these grades is it worth applying to medicine?I am thinking of repeating AS at another school as my school is ****.

What's your opinion?

Also would repeating AS be possible because of the new A-Level system?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ApplesTrees
Hi, I achieved 2A* 2A 6B and 1C at GCSE. And at AS I got 3C and 1B (B in Biology - C in chemistry, physics and mathematics). Well looking at these grades is it worth applying to medicine?I am thinking of repeating AS at another school as my school is sh*t.

What's your opinion?

You would have to speak to your teachers about the issue you raised about the new a-level system.

Are you close to the next grade for any of them?
Hi, I achieved 2A* 2A 6B and 1C at GCSE. And at AS I got 3C and 1B (B in Biology - C in chemistry, physics and mathematics). Well looking at these grades is it worth applying to medicine?I am thinking of repeating AS at another school as my school is sh*t.

What's your opinion?

Don't repeat the year at another school. It will stop you being able to apply for medicine.

Resit your weakest AS modules and focus on getting AAA next year. Then take a gap year and apply for medicine.
Reply 3

What's your opinion?

As ForestCat says, do not repeat the year. Do all the resits you want while doing A2s, but do not put yourself in a situation where you have taken three or more years to get your A-levels.
Original post by ForestCat
Don't repeat the year at another school. It will stop you being able to apply for medicine.

Resit your weakest AS modules and focus on getting AAA next year. Then take a gap year and apply for medicine.

How much do resits usually cost?
Reply 5
Original post by WhoDaresWins
How much do resits usually cost?

£10 - £20 per exam
Original post by 06shawm
£10 - £20 per exam

hmmm 5-6 exams so 100-120 pounds.
Original post by WhoDaresWins
hmmm 5-6 exams so 100-120 pounds.

But worth it if you get in to medicine. I don't think you need to pay it too soon, so you could get a weekend job and save up if money is an issue (plus its experience for on your ps).
But worth it if you get in to medicine. I don't think you need to pay it too soon, so you could get a weekend job and save up if money is an issue (plus its experience for on your ps).

yeah lol

Why not repeat the year? I think I may be able to perform better at another school.
Why not repeat the year? I think I may be able to perform better at another school.

Because no medical school would accept your application. Very few accept resists (i.e. taking more than 2 years to complete a-levels) and AFAIK they all specify that they only accept resits of year 13 (and some have grade requirements for the first sitting too).
Because no medical school would accept your application. Very few accept resists (i.e. taking more than 2 years to complete a-levels) and AFAIK they all specify that they only accept resits of year 13 (and some have grade requirements for the first sitting too).

I looked into it and found many universities don't accept resits for year 13, however they do accept for AS.
Original post by games211
You would have to speak to your teachers about the issue you raised about the new a-level system.

Are you close to the next grade for any of them?

I think so for some.
Original post by Ronove
As ForestCat says, do not repeat the year. Do all the resits you want while doing A2s, but do not put yourself in a situation where you have taken three or more years to get your A-levels.

I do understand. But what I am thinking is that since it would be the old system I will be following if I continue to A2, 50% worth of A2 is AS. So it could be that AS may pull me down.
I looked into it and found many universities don't accept resits for year 13, however they do accept for AS.

But do they mean resitting AS modules rather than the whole AS year. There is a big difference. You will find that the majority say that they expect you to complete your a-levels in 2 years.
(edited 8 years ago)
But do they mean resitting AS modules rather than the whole AS year. There is a big difference. You will find that the majority say that they expect you to complete your a-levels in 2 years.

Yeah I was talking to one of the admission tutors, for example at University of Plymouth - they were fine with it.

They say as long as you get AAAB in the second go, they will accept it.
They say as long as you get AAAB in the second go, they will accept it.

You should probably check with other medical schools too before you make the decision to begin again.
You should probably check with other medical schools too before you make the decision to begin again.

I checked for Keele and they say "Any applicant taking more than two years to complete three A-levels, or equivalent, will only be considered when they have achieved the required grades at A-level or equivalent. It is not our policy to consider applicants who were unsuccessful at interview the previous year."
I checked for Keele and they say "Any applicant taking more than two years to complete three A-levels, or equivalent, will only be considered when they have achieved the required grades at A-level or equivalent. It is not our policy to consider applicants who were unsuccessful at interview the previous year."

I mean email universities, explaining your situation, and get it in writing whether or not they would accept your application. Like I've said, most say they only accept applications from those completing in a two year period.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending