The Student Room Group

What does my glasses prescription say?

I wanted to order some prescription glasses online but I can barely read it.
If someone could just confirm what it says that would be great. And yes my prescription is in date.

Right
Sph: -1.00
Cyl: 0.25
Axis: 90

Left
Sph: -1.25
Cyl: ???
Axis: none

Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 18.26.52.jpg
Reply 1
You've definitely got all the information right :smile:

Sorry but I'm also really confused with what the left cyl is. I guess it could be 55 or 0.5, but that would weird as the right one is 0.25

Is there any way you could get the information over the phone or something? it must be recorded in their database.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think he means same as other eye, but not sure.
Anyone else have a clue?
Reply 4
Right
Cyl: -0.25

Left
Cyl: none

However, there is no information about your PD (pupilary distance) which is very important when ordering glasses.
Reply 5
It strikes me that you may have left this a little late, no?
Reply 6
This is hilarious. There has got to be a word for this sort of mishap. "Woman can't see the prescription to order her glasses that will enable her to see". Catch 22 perhaps? Similar to my problem; my GP surgery wants me to come in at 8 am to book an appointment to discuss my sleep pattern that is causing me to sleep between 4 am and 2pm. Needless to say it was a good while before I managed to stay awake long enough to book the appointment. The pills they gave me gave me bad side effects so now I have to stay up 24 hours waiting for a phonecall from the doctor because I can't sleep at night and he can only call me in the daytime.
Original post by Kathy89
Right
Cyl: -0.25

Left
Cyl: none

However, there is no information about your PD (pupilary distance) which is very important when ordering glasses.

I know my PD. But there isn't a minus sign in front of my cylinder? Hmm..
I wish these opticians were accurate, I'll have to give them a call.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Profesh
It strikes me that you may have left this a little late, no?

No? I can see close up, they are for distance :smile: It's not a case of me not seeing my prescription, it's just me not understanding what on earth the last bit says
Reply 9
Original post by letsbehonest
I wanted to order some prescription glasses online but I can barely read it.
If someone could just confirm what it says that would be great. And yes my prescription is in date.

Right

Left

Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 18.26.52.jpg

I believe it means your mildly short sighted with mild astigmatism in the right eye and non in the left. As others have said, no PD measurement. I have my own diy method for PD. I have a plastic ruler with two cable ties fastened around it. I make a mark with a felt tip in the middle of the ruler. This is aligned with the centre of my nose. I then look dead ahead into a mirror,slide the two cable ties along until they coincide exactly with the centres of my pupils and then measure the distance between the two.
-0.25 cylinder correction is so mild that most of the time no one even prescribe it. I doubt it makes any difference at all with or without it. You said optician and not ophthalmologist so I guess it is a -. only ophthalmologists use + cylinders.
Of course it is the best to get an acurate prescription though.

You have a very tiny prescription, online glasses with regular lenses should be just fine with that. I seriously recomend you ordering with AR coating.
Just as an aside re AR coating, my previous pair of specs ,the AR coating was wearing off and getting patchy. They are plastic lenses. I stripped it off easily with armor etch and now i have a nice clear pair of spare specs again with sparkly lenses..
Original post by Limpopo
Just as an aside re AR coating, my previous pair of specs ,the AR coating was wearing off and getting patchy. They are plastic lenses. I stripped it off easily with armor etch and now i have a nice clear pair of spare specs again with sparkly lenses..

A good AR coating will last for at least a year. The clarity of the vision with AR lenses and lack of reflections at night is very beneficial and in my optinion worth every penny spent on it. I wear glasses mostly for the computer and at night so it is very usefull then.

If you had a bad experience with te AR coating just means that the place you bought it from is very low quality.
Original post by Kathy89
-0.25 cylinder correction is so mild that most of the time no one even prescribe it. I doubt it makes any difference at all with or without it. You said optician and not ophthalmologist so I guess it is a -. only ophthalmologists use + cylinders.
Of course it is the best to get an acurate prescription though.

You have a very tiny prescription, online glasses with regular lenses should be just fine with that. I seriously recomend you ordering with AR coating.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 14
[QUOTE="letsbehonest;58449055"]I wanted to order some prescription glasses online but I can barely read it.

Right

Left

[/QUOTE)

It means that you are nearsighted in your right eye with a small amount of astigmatism with an axis of 90, In your left eye you are just nearsighted with no astigmatism. If your ordering glasses online you will need your PD (pupilary distance) for them to make your glasses.

Quick Reply

Latest