The Student Room Group

Can i get into uni with Ds?

Ok so i got my A Level results today which weren't great although I wasn't expecting them to be and wasn't too worried as I didn't plan on going to university. I only did 2 a levels at A2 which were computing and IT and got Ds in both (had a rough year i won't lie) and i got a B in AS photography and a C in AS media. I'd like to know whether there is a chance for me to get into uni if i wish in the future. I'd like to do tourism management and most unis i've looked at want 240 ums whereas I think mine come to 210?

I'm going to costa rica in october to volunteer for a month and do some travelling and i'm also thinking about working abroad for a year. Would gaining experience give me more of a chance to get into a uni and is it worth even applying to unis that ask for 240 ums when i don't have that?
Original post by Articultr
Ok so i got my A Level results today which weren't great although I wasn't expecting them to be and wasn't too worried as I didn't plan on going to university. I only did 2 a levels at A2 which were computing and IT and got Ds in both (had a rough year i won't lie) and i got a B in AS photography and a C in AS media. I'd like to know whether there is a chance for me to get into uni if i wish in the future. I'd like to do tourism management and most unis i've looked at want 240 ums whereas I think mine come to 210?

I'm going to costa rica in october to volunteer for a month and do some travelling and i'm also thinking about working abroad for a year. Would gaining experience give me more of a chance to get into a uni and is it worth even applying to unis that ask for 240 ums when i don't have that?

I think you would want to look at foundation entry courses as 30 ucas points is a bit too much of a difference.

Hey there,

There are options available such as foundation years or an access course :h: Have you thought about where you'd like to study?

At Staffs we consider each applicant on a case by case basis, so you can give us a call to find out what your options are. :smile: 03702186241

Taking a year out sounds like a really good plan for you - you'll get some more life experience under your belt and you'll have time to fully consider exactly what course and where you want to study :h:

Best of luck :smile:

Katie

:h:

Hi there,

You could look at doing a Foundation Degree in Tourism Management, which would then give you the opportunity to go on to an Honours top-up year and gain a full degree in Tourism, but a Foundation Degree has slightly lower entry requirements to start with and takes relevant experience into account. There's also the added advantage of getting two years' of work experience with the Foundation Degree, which will definitely give you the edge in the job market!

We still have places on our Foundation Degree in Tourism Management at Weston College and our entry requirement is 180 - 220 UCAS points so you would definitely have a good chance at getting a place :smile: obviously it looks like with your travelling plans you're probably looking at 2016 entry, but just give us a call on 01934 411 409 if you want to know any more, or have a look at the course here: http://www.weston.ac.uk/course/tourism-management-fda

- Aislinn

Quick Reply