The Student Room Group

Should I apply for a second undergraduate degree? (Oxford)

I just got my A level results, and did worse than I thought I would. A mix of bad luck with questions and good old fashioned stupidity has left me with ABB, not what I had hoped for at all.

I had planned to go to a separate university for three years, get a degree there, and then reapply for undergraduate position at Oxford at the end.

I suspect I will do better at university than at A levels because I will be studying things that I like, and it will be a generally more relaxed atmosphere away from home. Given my hoped for success there, I had hoped my results at A level combined with my genuine passion for the subject (English) and a top-level degree would get me in.

In light of the reality, would it be worth my time going through the process? Do they focus more on the degree result than the A level results in such situations?

Thanks in advance.
What do you think the benefit of doing a second undergraduate degree (presumably also in English) would be? You realise you would have to completely self-finance both the tuition fees AND the college fees on top of that? It's expensive and - imho - a complete waste of money.

Just go to your firm choice and do well there and you'll soon forget you ever wanted to go to Oxford :yes:
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice, I know the cost would be through the roof.

However, is it feasible? I'd like to know, if nothing else, and give myself something to aim for as it were.
Original post by Mien
Thanks for the advice, I know the cost would be through the roof.

However, is it feasible? I'd like to know, if nothing else, and give myself something to aim for as it were.

Well it would probably be feasible but admissions tutors would (quite rightly) question what you would gain from doing a second undergraduate degree in the same subject, if you got to the interview stage. It's a futile exercise, since you would have already learnt the stuff they would be trying to teach you (albeit not exactly at the same depth, perhaps). Besides, it's really NOT a worthwhile use of your time and money. Just do a good English degree elsewhere and do some internships and get work experience during the holidays of your degree. Experience counts for more these days in the working world than merely having an Oxford degree :h:
Reply 4
Perhaps it's not a practical use of my time and money, but to speak for my future self I would say I'd do it. I know I should be in the educational system because of the job at the end of the line, but to be quite frank I simply enjoy learning stuff. So spending some more years as an undergraduate would actually benefit me, mainly because I'd simply like to do it. As for just going over the same stuff, that's probably true, but I'd like to do History too, and would probably apply to do it over English.

I don't suppose you'd happen to know whether they value A level results highly in picking people who wish to do another undergraduate degree, or whether it's more based around the academic material from your degree? I may not do it - I could just apply for Masters there and elsewhere - but I'd like to know if that channel is open to me too. Of course, such things are subject to change over the three years of my current course, but I'd like to know how things stand at the minute.

Thanks for your time - I really appreciate you bothering to answer!
Original post by Mien
Perhaps it's not a practical use of my time and money, but to speak for my future self I would say I'd do it. I know I should be in the educational system because of the job at the end of the line, but to be quite frank I simply enjoy learning stuff. So spending some more years as an undergraduate would actually benefit me, mainly because I'd simply like to do it. As for just going over the same stuff, that's probably true, but I'd like to do History too, and would probably apply to do it over English.

I don't suppose you'd happen to know whether they value A level results highly in picking people who wish to do another undergraduate degree, or whether it's more based around the academic material from your degree? I may not do it - I could just apply for Masters there and elsewhere - but I'd like to know if that channel is open to me too. Of course, such things are subject to change over the three years of my current course, but I'd like to know how things stand at the minute.

Thanks for your time - I really appreciate you bothering to answer!

I imagine that they would take your degree results over your A Levels. If you were to apply to do History after an English degree elsewhere, it's a different story and less of a waste of time/money. May I ask why it is so important to you to study at Oxford that you're willing to spend so much money self-financing a second undergraduate degree though??? Surely if you are THAT desperate to have an Oxford degree, you'd be better off getting a First in your confirmed UCAS place uni and then applying for a Masters.

Sorry if I sound harsh, I just really don't see the point in spending that much money to self-fund a second undergrad degree. If I had, say, £15K a year or more to cover tuition fees, college fees (which would be separate) AND living/accommodation expenses over a three year period, I'd think of a million other things to do with it :erm:
Reply 6
Original post by Mien
I just got my A level results, and did worse than I thought I would. A mix of bad luck with questions and good old fashioned stupidity has left me with ABB, not what I had hoped for at all.

I had planned to go to a separate university for three years, get a degree there, and then reapply for undergraduate position at Oxford at the end.

Get a First somewhere else, then apply for a Masters not UG at Oxford. Anything else is ridiculous. I doubt Oxford would even let you waste your or their time (and money) repeating the same undergrad course. There is nothing to be gained by it.

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Surely if you are THAT desperate to have an Oxford degree, you'd be better off getting a First in your confirmed UCAS place uni and then applying for a Masters.

Sorry if I sound harsh, I just really don't see the point in spending that much money to self-fund a second undergrad degree. If I had, say, £15K a year or more to cover tuition fees, college fees (which would be separate) AND living/accommodation expenses over a three year period, I'd think of a million other things to do with it :erm:

Oops, just repeated what you said!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Well it would probably be feasible but admissions tutors would (quite rightly) question what you would gain from doing a second undergraduate degree in the same subject, if you got to the interview stage. It's a futile exercise, since you would have already learnt the stuff they would be trying to teach you (albeit not exactly at the same depth, perhaps). Besides, it's really NOT a worthwhile use of your time and money. Just do a good English degree elsewhere and do some internships and get work experience during the holidays of your degree. Experience counts for more these days in the working world than merely having an Oxford degree :h:

I imagine that they would take your degree results over your A Levels. If you were to apply to do History after an English degree elsewhere, it's a different story and less of a waste of time/money. May I ask why it is so important to you to study at Oxford that you're willing to spend so much money self-financing a second undergraduate degree though??? Surely if you are THAT desperate to have an Oxford degree, you'd be better off getting a First in your confirmed UCAS place uni and then applying for a Masters.

Original post by jneill
Get a First somewhere else, then apply for a Masters not UG at Oxford. Anything else is ridiculous. I doubt Oxford would even let you waste your or their time (and money) repeating the same undergrad course. There is nothing to be gained by it.

Oops, just repeated what you said!

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^^The voice of reason.

You really need to get over the obsession on Oxbridge just for the name sake, to start with, too. They're great unis, yes, but possibly in a very different way from how you're 'dreaming' from outside. Their course is very intense and demanding, non-stop for 3/4 yrs. it's not for everyone. Do your undergrad at uni you can get into, and if you still want to go to Oxford, then apply for a masters course. Doing two undergraduate courses in a same subject has absolutely no point.
Reply 8
Original post by Mien
As for just going over the same stuff, that's probably true, but I'd like to do History too, and would probably apply to do it over English.

So do your BA English at your original uni, get your First, and then aim for Oxford to do a MPhil History followed by a PhD.

Much more useful!
Original post by jneill
So do your BA English at your original uni, get your First, and then aim for Oxford to do a MPhil History followed by a PhD.

Much more useful!

Not too sure if they accept application for MPhil History from someone who did English undergraduate, though.... You need a strong academic records in the relevant subject (plus good references, preferably from someone in the relevant field) but reading English as undergrad course won't give you that in History.

.....could be the case of when doing two undergrad courses can be a good idea....:wink:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending