The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Big exeter decisions please help

hi i firmed exeter's streatham campus degree for english with the offer A*AA
but i ended up getting a B for english lit a level which is kind of a problem.
however ive looked into it and ive seen that this is totally due to some mark downs by the exam board that were nothing to do with me and made me lose about 25 UMS - if this hadnt happened i would have been well over the A grade boundary. im also asking for a remark of my slightly dissappointing A2 exam grade.

ive emailed exeter about this and explained the situation. do you think that they might reconsider me?

also - if not theyve offered me a place at penryn. im not sure about this since im from london so its very far. ive been assured its no less in quality although stats show they have a lower rate of 1st's and employment. my insurance is uea. should i settle for penryn? i dont know much about it but it does sound nice. i was kind of originally planning on trying to get a joint honours place at exeter if i didnt get in for english. is this compromise not worth it if i have a penryn place? i dont think id mind doing joint english and classics (if theyll let me of course)

sorry if i sound ignorant about the penryn course. its because i am. im sure its very good its just not what i was expecting etc etc. and i really am in love with the streatham campus and for what its worth also have friends going there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EmergencyBagels
hi i firmed exeter's streatham campus degree for english with the offer A*AA
but i ended up getting a B for english lit a level which is kind of a problem.
however ive looked into it and ive seen that this is totally due to some mark downs by the exam board that were nothing to do with me and made me lose about 25 UMS - if this hadnt happened i would have been well over the A grade boundary. im also asking for a remark of my slightly dissappointing A2 exam grade.

ive emailed exeter about this and explained the situation. do you think that they might reconsider me?

also - if not theyve offered me a place at penryn. im not sure about this since im from london so its very far. ive been assured its no less in quality although stats show they have a lower rate of 1st's and employment. my insurance is uea. should i settle for penryn? i dont know much about it but it does sound nice. i was kind of originally planning on trying to get a joint honours place at exeter if i didnt get in for english. is this compromise not worth it if i have a penryn place? i dont think id mind doing joint english and classics (if theyll let me of course)

sorry if i sound ignorant about the penryn course. its because i am. im sure its very good its just not what i was expecting etc etc. and i really am in love with the streatham campus and for what its worth also have friends going there.

While I don't know the official policy of the University I strongly suspect that if you were to get your grade changed to an A thanks to a remark then they would honour their offer of a place on the course on the Streatham Campus and so you needn't worry about Penryn.

I do know a few students who are on the Penryn campus and they love it down there. None of them have a problem with the teaching standard and they all like the campus and love the surrounding area.

However they are also all county people, either having grown up in the countryside or on the coast and so they're used to being relatively remote and not living in a big city. For you moving from London to there would be one hell of a culture shock and honestly I suspect it would likely be such a big change from big, bustling city to sleepy part of Cornwall that you might struggle with it.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
I am in exactly the same position as you. My offer was A*AA for English at Streatham but I missed it and ending up getting AAB. My insurance is also UEA. I am going to look at the campus tomorrow to see if I like it before making my decision. Is it possible for you to do this? They offer free accommodation and can reimburse travel expenses up to £50 as it is so far at such short notice for most people (I'm in Surrey).

Penryn is a lot smaller than Streatham and there is a lot less flexibility with modules; you only get to choose modules in year 3 so all year 1 and 2 modules are compulsory. However, within the modules, there is optionality as you can chose to write your essays on one aspect of the module if the rest doesn't interest you. Have you tried calling Penryn and had the course explained to you? I spoke to a student who has just finished her English Lit degree and one of the senior academics at Penryn. Its worth a try.

However, if you are still keen on Streatham, get a priority remark of your English paper and let Exeter know what you're doing. They may offer to hold your place and take you if your grade does go up.
Original post by Elelea
I am in exactly the same position as you. My offer was A*AA for English at Streatham but I missed it and ending up getting AAB. My insurance is also UEA. I am going to look at the campus tomorrow to see if I like it before making my decision. Is it possible for you to do this? They offer free accommodation and can reimburse travel expenses up to £50 as it is so far at such short notice for most people (I'm in Surrey).

Penryn is a lot smaller than Streatham and there is a lot less flexibility with modules; you only get to choose modules in year 3 so all year 1 and 2 modules are compulsory. However, within the modules, there is optionality as you can chose to write your essays on one aspect of the module if the rest doesn't interest you. Have you tried calling Penryn and had the course explained to you? I spoke to a student who has just finished her English Lit degree and one of the senior academics at Penryn. Its worth a try.

However, if you are still keen on Streatham, get a priority remark of your English paper and let Exeter know what you're doing. They may offer to hold your place and take you if your grade does go up.

i thought about going for the open day as it was a good opportunity but it was just a bit short notice for me. i did get a call from penryn asking if i had any questions the same as you i think.

ive applied for a re mark but not a priority one? i dont know i did it very fast via my school. i have messaged exeter about it.
Reply 4
Original post by EmergencyBagels
i thought about going for the open day as it was a good opportunity but it was just a bit short notice for me. i did get a call from penryn asking if i had any questions the same as you i think.

ive applied for a re mark but not a priority one? i dont know i did it very fast via my school. i have messaged exeter about it.

You're right it is short notice. My mum has had to get out of work to take me.

I think at this point you can only get priority remarks so your remark will be done and you'll receive it within a few weeks. It should come through before August 31st, which is the deadline for fulfilling your uni offer by. Good luck!
Original post by Elelea
You're right it is short notice. My mum has had to get out of work to take me.

I think at this point you can only get priority remarks so your remark will be done and you'll receive it within a few weeks. It should come through before August 31st, which is the deadline for fulfilling your uni offer by. Good luck!

thank you, and i hope you like the open day and that helps you decide where you want to be :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending