The Student Room Group

Credentials of the typical competitive econ applicant to a top RG university

Hi guys,

I am looking to study economics in the future and am wondering what the typical competitive applicant has in terms of grades for the top RG unis offering straight economics.

Does anyone know from a personal experience/looking at courses, what the kind of grades competitive applicants to the following universities have?:

LSE
UCL
Cambridge
Oxford
Warwick
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham

It would be great if you could say both the GCSEs and AS level results that need to be achieved to have a decent chance of receiving an offer from each of those unis.

Additionally, which of the following unis require/strongly favour candidates with A2 further maths. I am not 100% sure if I would like to take FM to A2 all the way to A2.

Any help is much appreciated!
Original post by FTSE420
Hi guys,

I am looking to study economics in the future and am wondering what the typical competitive applicant has in terms of grades for the top RG unis offering straight economics.

Does anyone know from a personal experience/looking at courses, what the kind of grades competitive applicants to the following universities have?:

LSE
UCL
Cambridge
Oxford
Warwick
Durham
Bristol
Nottingham

It would be great if you could say both the GCSEs and AS level results that need to be achieved to have a decent chance of receiving an offer from each of those unis.

Additionally, which of the following unis require/strongly favour candidates with A2 further maths. I am not 100% sure if I would like to take FM to A2 all the way to A2.

Any help is much appreciated!

Oxbridge/LSE students usually have A*s across the board at GCSE and A2. Cambridge really care about AS scores and the average successful applicant scores about 95% at AS.

Warwick/UCL are a tier lower but nonetheless attract the same students as in the top tier and some lower quality candidates, so usually A*s and As at both GCSE and A2.

The process continues downwards.

Cambridge and LSE are mathematical courses and its no lie that they would like to see FM at A2 level. In fact I think you'd be advantaged by taking it when applying to any economics course. Somewhere like Oxford wouldn't care because their E&M course isn't mathematical, but Warwick and UCL would probably like to see it (although it won't work against you if you don't do it). I do think that FM is the best A2 you can take and it may be daunting but it's quite easy after you work at it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending