The Student Room Group

Is it possible to go up by one or two grades in A2? BBCC - AAB/ABB

Scroll to see replies

PLEEEASE HELP SOMEBODY!!!!

I got

A - Sociology (164)
B - English Literature (151)
B - History (146)

Can someone tell me whether it's realistic for me to attain A*AA next year considering I work my butt of and want to do English Lit and History for university. (I do not want to retake)

My uni choices are:

Leeds
Sheffield
Cardiff
Newcastle
York

I'm real bummed I even got a B in English but considering the boundaries went up 9 marks...

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What i dont get is , even if i were to resit some modules and do very well overall and lets say get 3 As or 1 A* and 2 as , i would still have to reapply the following year , ie take a gap year :frown:
Original post by Not Anonymous
You got the exact grades I got last year. And I got A*A*B at A2 - exceeded my firm offer. I just worked hard, read through examiner reports, made essay plans, wrote timed essays, cue cards, posters etc.

Reading examiner reports I found were very helpful because I knew what the examiner was looking for, and I went into depth into a lot of my answers

For essays, if I didn't remember an argument, I made up one, using an analogy of being in a classroom and putting my my hand up giving my opinion. Got an A in my Philosophy paper and 100% in my Ethics paper for RS and a B in my Sociology Unit 3 paper doing this.

Throughout Year 13, I thought it was impossible to move from BBC to AAB (for my firm). I think from my results, ive showed it is possible!

(Thank god for autocorrect cause I'm a bit drunk right now)

Well done! Your grades are amazing! My AS results were disappointing. I recieved BCC in Psychology, Philosophy & Ethics (Religious Studies) and English literature. The universities i want to apply to are BBB and ABB and from your results i can see that it is possible with dedication and hard work to achieve these grades. Although i am doubtful that my English and Ethics teachers will predict me higher than a C grade.

I was wondering if you had any AS and A2 philosophy and ethics notes (typed) that you could send me as i am considering resitting one the exams, preferably ethics. Also, one of my mistakes was that i started my revision way too late and i spent most of my time writing out my notes over Easter and learning only few topics word for word and not had enough time learning the rest of the syllabus I was wondering if you could suggest an appropriate time to start revising- writing my notes and learning them.

Thank you and good luck in university! x
Reply 23
I was in your position BBCC. I dropped one of my C grades (Maths) and got A*AB, A* in Economics, A in Computing, B in Graphics. It is definitely possible. I tried to keep my exams to a minimum - I only sat 4 this year. I retook Computing unit 1 which was my weakest module and sat Computing unit 3, Economics 3 and 4. With such few exams and generous gaps between each I was able to maximize my time focused on each exam and thus scored higher this year. Good luck, I can tell you being in your situation that it is possible. You have to work your ass off this year, but with University as a motivator you'll be much more self disciplined than you were last year. Good luck!
YES!!

This is extremely possible, last year I got a C in English Literature and this year I got an A and am going to University of Leeds to study English Lit, just work hard and keep believing, you can do this (even if no-one else believes you can) :wink:!

good luck!
So I got BCDE in my AS levels and I really want to get ABB/ABC/BBB next year...I'm worried that resits will take my mind off my A2 revision and could hold me back from doing well in those exams...do you think I can pull up my grades without resitting modules? I'm doing music so can retake my performance assessment in the spring before the revision frenzy starts but other than that??
It's probably also worth mentioning that I have ADHD, which makes revision and retaining information really hard for me!
I'm not too fussed about my E in Latin; I gave it up before going back for the A2 weeks after exams because I spent too many of my lessons crying this year and knew that I had done awfully in the exams anyway :tongue:
Thanks and well done for those of you who have just got into university :smile:
Original post by Student14141
What subjects was this in?

ICT, Business Studies and Creative Media Productions
Original post by Hantagana
So I got BCDE in my AS levels and I really want to get ABB/ABC/BBB next year...I'm worried that resits will take my mind off my A2 revision and could hold me back from doing well in those exams...do you think I can pull up my grades without resitting modules? I'm doing music so can retake my performance assessment in the spring before the revision frenzy starts but other than that??
It's probably also worth mentioning that I have ADHD, which makes revision and retaining information really hard for me!
I'm not too fussed about my E in Latin; I gave it up before going back for the A2 weeks after exams because I spent too many of my lessons crying this year and knew that I had done awfully in the exams anyway :tongue:
Thanks and well done for those of you who have just got into university :smile:

It is possible! I too am nervous about resitting in case it is marked lower or my memory gets too absorbed in retaining the past AS info. For soc I got AB but Psy I got CD and want to get that up to at least a B overall. We both can do it!
Original post by albanyholbrook
Definitely possible! I went from ABCD to A*AA. I retook some modules (found that I was naturally better at the exams I'd messed up after a years more work) and my french teacher tutored me outside college as well, which I would really recommend if you'd feel comfortable doing that because it helped me go from a D in the written paper to an A* because I had time to ask him anything i hadn't understood throughout the last year. I also retook a sketchbook/unit for art which you could do if you choose to keep doing photography (quite stressful though). Make sure you show your teachers that you want to work hard and you really care about your grades and getting into uni this year because they'll be more generous with your predicted grades and references. Don't be afraid to go and explain to your teachers that youre trying harder and ask if they'd be willing to make your predicted grades a bit higher than they'd expect.

Wow, hopefully I go from BBCC to A*AAb or A*AAa.
I'm already revising like crazy for everything.
Reply 29
Hey guys, do you think it's possible to g from BBC AS to AAA A2 with retakes?
Original post by drjay24
Hey guys, do you think it's possible to g from BBC AS to AAA A2 with retakes?

Hi - I think it is more than possible - that is what I intend to do this year with resitting my lowest modules. I've turned all the disappointment and hurt from my grades into motivation and clarity of mind so I can really focus on what is the most important - getting AAA next year. It really depends on how you go about things this year. If you or I carry on as we did last year, retakes may not be enough for those grades.
Reply 31
Original post by minjinoor
Hi - I think it is more than possible - that is what I intend to do this year with resitting my lowest modules. I've turned all the disappointment and hurt from my grades into motivation and clarity of mind so I can really focus on what is the most important - getting AAA next year. It really depends on how you go about things this year. If you or I carry on as we did last year, retakes may not be enough for those grades.

Yeah that's true, I guess we'll just have to work super hard!

Quick Reply

Latest