The Student Room Group

What to do about English Literature AS level mark?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I did LITA1B and mine was lower than I'd thought too! I had been expecting a strong A overall from how I thought the exam went and how past essays had gone, but I only just got a B on the paper, meaning a lower mark than I'd thought! My teacher said to remark, but I'm going to get the paper photocopy back then see. I wonder if AQA had some marking problems this year?
Original post by HylianPrincess
Okay so results day today :-) Not too bad but I am kinda concerned about my English Literature result. It was AS Literature A AQA.

I have been predicted an A throughout the year, felt confident on all my mocks and was getting my target. I did loads of revision and my coursework was an A.

My overall grade was a C but my exam breakdown was an E! I don't know what happened. I felt happy with it, double checked it and I just don't know. My friend got an A at coursework and a C overall with a C in exam. Should I investigate further? I would not be so persistant if I thought I had done badly. I mean a C is okay but not really what I wanted. What do you guys think?

I want to call back my paper but is it worth getting it remarked or checked because I am concerned something went wrong. I did everything I was supposed too.

I'm in a very very similar situation. I did the same course (but with Victorian Literature), got As all year, and a high A for the coursework... But a C in the exam so a B overall.

I didn't think the exam had gone amazingly well, but I was still shocked so I've asked for a remark (and I think the department want to recall my paper) - I'd recommend doing the same. If the remark doesn't go well I'll resit the exam unit next year but it really isn't ideal.
I also missed my A.
84/120 in U1 exam. (Low B)
73/80 in U2 C.W.

157/200

I'm sending mine off for a remark in the hope I can get the 2 marks required for 3 ums.
Good luck to you also.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I'm in a very very similar situation. I did the same course (but with Victorian Literature), got As all year, and a high A for the coursework... But a C in the exam so a B overall.

I didn't think the exam had gone amazingly well, but I was still shocked so I've asked for a remark (and I think the department want to recall my paper) - I'd recommend doing the same. If the remark doesn't go well I'll resit the exam unit next year but it really isn't ideal.

I am hoping to get in touch with the exams office tomorrow to recall my paper. I just can't understand why it came back like that. So many people said I should be happy with a C but I really wanted to aim higher :-/ Retaking next year is not ideal, feels like so much more on my plate which I don't want. Good luck in getting your paper re-looked at :-)
My girlfriend is in the exact same position.
She loves english lit, it is her favourite subject and her university choice.
Got A's in every homework all year.
A's in past papers.
got an A in unit 2 and a C in unit 1, even though the unit 1 exam was literally the best exam she has ever done and came out of it feeling great.
AQA have 100% ****ed up.
I know it's not the same exam board, but OCR AS Eng Lit students have all seemed to have the same thing happen to them, including me. It was the most enjoyable, most successful exam for me, supposedly. I was getting A grades in class and I wrote two of the best Eng Lit essays I thought I had ever done. Ended up with a low C - ridiculous. And with all this controversy over OCR guesstimating grades everyone's super angry ://
Good luck pursing the grade you wanted, I hope the remark goes well!
Original post by MindOfFinn
No problem :smile: It's bothered me all day and only now have I come to realise that I should relax!
Honestly hope all goes well for you all :biggrin:
I'll stay in touch here when I get the paper back if you would like to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :3 I hope your grade improves :biggrin:
Reply 27
I thought the exam was really good. I answered all the questions, followed the instructions, wrote about 3 books in the final question, got As and Bs throughout the year, by some miracle I got As in all of my other exams, got an A in my coursework... and I got a 'U' in this exam, but so did everyone else in my sixth form. For example, a girl aiming to get into Oxford got a 'D' in her exam. My centre is large as well, there's about 80 Lit students and there's just no variety, literally everyone got 'Ds' 'Es' or 'Us' in the exam.

So my sixth form are sending some off for priority re-marking for the people who were expected to get As (so thankfully mine has been sent off) in the hopes that they'll all be re-called once these ones have been re-marked.

But I was talking to someone else not long ago at the opposite end of the country and the same thing happened there, so I think AQA may have f*cked up.

I'm praying it gets sorted out though because I want to do Lit and Creative Writing at uni and this is just causing so much unnecessary stress XD
Original post by CCH0705
I thought the exam was really good. I answered all the questions, followed the instructions, wrote about 3 books in the final question, got As and Bs throughout the year, by some miracle I got As in all of my other exams, got an A in my coursework... and I got a 'U' in this exam, but so did everyone else in my sixth form. For example, a girl aiming to get into Oxford got a 'D' in her exam. My centre is large as well, there's about 80 Lit students and there's just no variety, literally everyone got 'Ds' 'Es' or 'Us' in the exam.

So my sixth form are sending some off for priority re-marking for the people who were expected to get As (so thankfully mine has been sent off) in the hopes that they'll all be re-called once these ones have been re-marked.

But I was talking to someone else not long ago at the opposite end of the country and the same thing happened there, so I think AQA may have f*cked up.

I'm praying it gets sorted out though because I want to do Lit and Creative Writing at uni and this is just causing so much unnecessary stress XD

Thank you for letting us know of this.
I really hope it is a mistake, my girlfriend is also going to do a degree in English Literature at university so really wanted an A*, and deserves one. The fact that other people are having the same confusion is a strong indicator that they are either adjusting the grades intentionally to make A levels " harder" or they screwed up. Either way They should all be re-marked, hopefully the exam board will lose lots of money and learn not to mess around with our futures.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3510341&p=58493277#post58493277

My friend just showed me this, it deals with AQA making a shambles of the marking.

A girl has also commented on how her teacher has said that another girl got a low grade and it turned out her marks were not added up correctly..

Posted from TSR Mobile
My papers got emailed back, I numbered everything correctly and answered the right questions.

Reading through them, the examiner says that I have very little understanding of my poems (Yeats/Kavanagh) and of the text (The Great Gatsby).

I find this extremely annoying because the examiner doesn't offer an explanation as to what went wrong. I've brought in context, methods/techniques and other relevant ways to get marks and I just don't understand.

Overall, I got 26/60 in poetry and 13/60 in Gatsby. So that is 44 raw marks I think (thats what I was awarded overall)

Ugh :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending