The Student Room Group

MSc Finance and MFE 2016/17 (Oxford, Imperial, LSE)

Hi everyone, I will be applying for a master's in finance this year. Thing is, it's quite hard for me to gauge how competitive the top unis are and what they are looking for exactly, so it would be really helpful if some current students/alumni/prospective applicants could share their thoughts here.

A bit about myself: I'm studying an econ-related course at a target university, have experience in several BB investment banks and have done a lot of extracurriculars. I'm on a high 2:1(~GPA 3.7) with a decent chance of getting a First overall and have not taken the GMAT.

The programmes I'm looking at are MSc Finance at Imperial and LSE, and MSc Financial Economics at Oxford. Does anyone know what needs to be emphasised (e.g. grades, work experience, extracurriculars) for each course and what would my chances be realistically? Thanks in advance!
Original post by CharltonChampion
Hi everyone, I will be applying for a master's in finance this year. Thing is, it's quite hard for me to gauge how competitive the top unis are and what they are looking for exactly, so it would be really helpful if some current students/alumni/prospective applicants could share their thoughts here.

A bit about myself: I'm studying an econ-related course at a target university, have experience in several BB investment banks and have done a lot of extracurriculars. I'm on a high 2:1(~GPA 3.7) with a decent chance of getting a First overall and have not taken the GMAT.

The programmes I'm looking at are MSc Finance at Imperial and LSE, and MSc Financial Economics at Oxford. Does anyone know what needs to be emphasised (e.g. grades, work experience, extracurriculars) for each course and what would my chances be realistically? Thanks in advance!

Academics will be the most important feature of your application, they will be looking for 67% (most who will be accepted will have a 1st, though).

In addition, you should have strong references and a very good personal statement.

When it comes to the GMAT I think you should target at least 700 (the average at Oxford is 740, I think) and do very well in the quantitative section. I don't think you are required to take the GMAT if you are studying in the UK, but as far as I know it is recommended to fortify your application and it is also good for those with a 2.1 (or those whose quantitative skills have not been verified in their undergraduate degree).

I am not sure about LSE, but for the Msc Financial Economics offered by the University of Oxford work experience will be essential.

I can't give you a sentiment about your chances, but I would just advise you to get a 1st and perhaps contact people who have studied at both of these institutes of higher education via Linkedin. They may provide you with some significant knowledge.

Both of these Universities are very competitive (especially the one at LSE), have you had a look at Imperial? I think with this profile you should get in there.
Original post by EquityResearch
Academics will be the most important feature of your application, they will be looking for 67% (most who will be accepted will have a 1st, though).

In addition, you should have strong references and a very good personal statement.

When it comes to the GMAT I think you should target at least 700 (the average at Oxford is 740, I think) and do very well in the quantitative section. I don't think you are required to take the GMAT if you are studying in the UK, but as far as I know it is recommended to fortify your application and it is also good for those with a 2.1 (or those whose quantitative skills have not been verified in their undergraduate degree).

I am not sure about LSE, but for the Msc Financial Economics offered by the University of Oxford work experience will be essential.

I can't give you a sentiment about your chances, but I would just advise you to get a 1st and perhaps contact people who have studied at both of these institutes of higher education via Linkedin. They may provide you with some significant knowledge.

Both of these Universities are very competitive (especially the one at LSE), have you had a look at Imperial? I think with this profile you should get in there.

Thanks for the comprehensive response. Hm, I got 66% in second year and 67% in first year (but the way they calculate it, it counts as a first)... The GMAT is not a requirement for me and my course has a fair amount of quantitative modules, but I am aware that a lot of other applicants may have better grades.

I am going to have fewer extracurriculars to worry about next year, so overall I would be able to get a first. Thing is, I need to apply now, before I graduate... does going to a target uni not give any leeway in this area?
Thanks for the comprehensive response. Hm, I got 66% in second year and 67% in first year (but the way they calculate it, it counts as a first)... The GMAT is not a requirement for me and my course has a fair amount of quantitative modules, but I am aware that a lot of other applicants may have better grades.

I am going to have fewer extracurriculars to worry about next year, so overall I would be able to get a first. Thing is, I need to apply now, before I graduate... does going to a target uni not give any leeway in this area?

If you come from a highly ranked University your chances will of course be better. I think the application process starts from October; hence I would direct you to apply as soon as possible to enhance your chances of getting an offer.

In this moment in time I would just advise you to focus on your grades. Ensure that you have a stellar personal statement and that your references are top notch.

Even if you are obtaining your degree from a University situated in the UK, I heard that a good GRE/GMAT can be the differentiator. Perhaps you should consider it, but on the other hand it is most likely a better idea to contact the Universities directly. Not so for LSE, but for Oxford.
If you come from a highly ranked University your chances will of course be better. I think the application process starts from October; hence I would direct you to apply as soon as possible to enhance your chances of getting an offer.

In this moment in time I would just advise you to focus on your grades. Ensure that you have a stellar personal statement and that your references are top notch.

Even if you are obtaining your degree from a University situated in the UK, I heard that a good GRE/GMAT can be the differentiator. Perhaps you should consider it, but on the other hand it is most likely a better idea to contact the Universities directly. Not so for LSE, but for Oxford.

Yeah, certainly applying as soon as possible. Honestly, I would do anything I can now to focus on my grades! Except uni doesn't start until October and I'll only find out whether I have a first or a 2:1 in July 2016, by which point it will be too late.

You're right, I'll scour the web for some admissions staff. It's just a little frustrating that taking the GMAT would detract from my studies, but then I need to get better grades this year... vicious circle.
Yeah, certainly applying as soon as possible. Honestly, I would do anything I can now to focus on my grades! Except uni doesn't start until October and I'll only find out whether I have a first or a 2:1 in July 2016, by which point it will be too late.

You're right, I'll scour the web for some admissions staff. It's just a little frustrating that taking the GMAT would detract from my studies, but then I need to get better grades this year... vicious circle.

No, no, no!!!

You should apply from October this year, don't wait until you've received your final year results - it will be too late by then! 2016/17 is what you are targeting, not 2017/18, right?

They will assess your academic transcript etc. and may provide you with a conditional offer...they may ask you to get a first overall or a specific minimum percentage (e.g. at least 67% in your third year).

Perhaps you can use this time to work on your personal statement, so that you have already have it ready. E-mail them about the GMAT and ask them whether it would be beneficial to you considering your situation.

You should still have enough time for the GMAT; you could sit it before your final academic year starts. If you don't achieve a satisfying score you can take it one month later.
No, no, no!!!

You should apply from October this year, don't wait until you've received your final year results - it will be too late by then! 2016/17 is what you are targeting, not 2017/18, right?

They will assess your academic transcript etc. and may provide you with a conditional offer...they may ask you to get a first overall or a specific minimum percentage (e.g. at least 67% in your third year).

Perhaps you can use this time to work on your personal statement, so that you have already have it ready. E-mail them about the GMAT and ask them whether it would be beneficial to you considering your situation.

You should still have enough time for the GMAT; you could sit it before your final academic year starts. If you don't achieve a satisfying score you can take it one month later.

I know, that's why I'm saying it's such a shame that the only results I can disclose are the ones I got in first and second year. Honestly, I would gladly just focus on studies this year to get a first, but like you said it would be too late. If they give me a conditional offer, so be it.

Definitely, will do that now. I wouldn't want to rush the GMAT, it's a significant investment of my time and money. Thanks for all your answers!
Hello!
I am an economics honours student from one of the best universities in India. My GPA is good (~3.9/4). I got a 339 in GRE (170 quant). Additionally I have awards for securing the highest scores in my batch for both years in college.
In terms of extra ccurricular's, I'm associate Secretary of my college's debate society. I also headed a ccollege fest and have been the joint editor of a journal.
I have done 2 internships in finance and business strategy, along with a thiRd one as a content writer. I don't hhave any work experience thougH.
What are the chances of me getting through to the Oxford or Lse mfe programmes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending