The Student Room Group

Retakes and half A Levels

So today i received my results for AS and i got BBE , B in Graphic Design and Art however i received an E in Maths which was definately not what i was expecting. I spoke to a head at the college and they said i could not continue maths A2 despite the fact that i was 2 marks off a D. After consulting with him i decided to retake AS Maths alongside my other two subjects continued as my A2 course however i was told that i would receive 2 and a half A Levels. Is there any way i can finish my A level Maths course. Any advice is much appreciated.
Original post by reverb
So today i received my results for AS and i got BBE , B in Graphic Design and Art however i received an E in Maths which was definately not what i was expecting. I spoke to a head at the college and they said i could not continue maths A2 despite the fact that i was 2 marks off a D. After consulting with him i decided to retake AS Maths alongside my other two subjects continued as my A2 course however i was told that i would receive 2 and a half A Levels. Is there any way i can finish my A level Maths course. Any advice is much appreciated.

I'm afraid this is up for the college to decide. A lot of colleges I know have similar circumstances whereby if you get an E or below then you aren't allowed to take the subject to A2 as the course will only get more difficult. I think retaking AS maths is a good option for you. If you struggled a bit with the first year of AS maths, then taking A2 maths as well as AS retakes will be extremely difficult.

You have 2 very good results which you should be proud of! Have you considered taking a different AS subject for your final year instead of retaking maths? This is best for you to decide if you speak to your tutor about it, since him and the head of college ultimately have the final say.
Reply 2
Original post by Eloades11
I'm afraid this is up for the college to decide. A lot of colleges I know have similar circumstances whereby if you get an E or below then you aren't allowed to take the subject to A2 as the course will only get more difficult. I think retaking AS maths is a good option for you. If you struggled a bit with the first year of AS maths, then taking A2 maths as well as AS retakes will be extremely difficult.

You have 2 very good results which you should be proud of! Have you considered taking a different AS subject for your final year instead of retaking maths? This is best for you to decide if you speak to your tutor about it, since him and the head of college ultimately have the final say.

Thank you for the advice, I will be talking to my tutor as well as head of college. My main concern is whether a university will offer me a place with 2 A levels and an AS.
Original post by reverb
Thank you for the advice, I will be talking to my tutor as well as head of college. My main concern is whether a university will offer me a place with 2 A levels and an AS.

It's a tricky one. Universities have a wide range of requirements when it comes to degrees. Some of the top universities will probably require at least 3 A-levels. If these are the sort of universities you are looking for, then it is definitely worth mentioning to your tutor. I know a lot of students can be hellbent on going to the universities in the top league ranking tables, but that is not the only thing to factor in when choosing a university. There are many high quality universities which may not require 3 A-levels, it may be worth starting to think about which university you want to study at and looking through the entry requirements :smile:

As an example, my college refused to allow me to take another AS level after failing my first one. I told my tutor one university I am definitely applying for require me to have an extra AS level. He was then able to support me and they managed to fit me in somewhere.
Reply 4
So I could potentially get in with 2 A Levels and 2 AS levels, thank you so so much for this. I will be consulting my form tutor definitely. This has released my stress so much.

Quick Reply

Latest