The Student Room Group

I've been interviewed at both Cambridge and Oxford, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by colourtheory
Not sure what you mean by this statement. I think that using UMS to slash down the number of applicants is actually very stiff and all too mechanical. The aptitude tests at Oxford give an applicant an extra opportunity to shine. Moreover, interviews and interviewers' style changes depending on the college and course that you apply for. My interviews, for example, each served a different purpose and I was able to talk about whichever topic I chose during my first interview (the tutors then challenged me on some of my points and introduced additional evidence to see how I would cope in a tutorial environment.) Both interviews had a degree of flexibility in their structure.

Cambridge interviews many more applicants than Oxford. The process is not mechanical at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Cambridge interviews many more applicants than Oxford. The process is not mechanical at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not true. Oxford have the higher interview rate and interviews take place over a number of days. Cambridge interviews are one day only.
Not true. Oxford have the higher interview rate and interviews take place over a number of days. Cambridge interviews are one day only.

Where did you get this from? Better check your source. :wink:

Also, your comment here on Cambridge's use of UMS.....
Not sure what you mean by this statement. I think that using UMS to slash down the number of applicants is actually very stiff and all too mechanical. .
I think you misunderstand why they use UMS. Its purpose is not to slash down numbers. Actually they interview well over 80% of applicants, including some with not-so-high UMS. Looking at UMS is just a part of whole application they look at, just as a measure to compare an applicant to others in the cohort and predict how their performance may be in A2 because predicted grades submitted by schools are notoriously unreliable. Just as Oxford's admission tutors use AS results to predict the applicants' A2 grades, as you mentioned here on other thread, Cambridge uses UMS for the same purpose, which is of course much more accurate data than just grades....:wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
Where did you get this from? Better check your source. :wink:

According to:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing
the interview rates for subjects in the 2013/2014 cycle was as follows:

96% - Classics
93% - Chemistry
90% - Classical Archaeology and Ancient History
89% - Classics and English Literature
89% - Classics and Oriental Studies
89% - Earth Sciences
88% - Modern Languages
88% - Oriental Studies
87% - Languages and Linguistics
87% - Classics and Modern Languages
85% - Music
83% - Theology
82% - European and Middle Eastern Languages
81% - Human Sciences
80% - Biochemistry
79% - Philosophy and Modern Languages
79% - History and Modern Languages
79% - Material Sciences
78% - Philosophy and Religion
74% - History
74% - Biological Sciences

The interview rate is about 50% for Oxford's most competitive courses (including Physics, Medicine, Law, and PPE). Joint Schools subjects tend to have the lower interview rate as they have to satisfy the requirements of two sets of subject tutors in addition to sitting two aptitude tests (although some courses require that only a single aptitude test be taken). Cambridge does not offer joint honours degrees.

As you can see, the interview rate of various subjects is often very high. Next time, please take the time to google this information for yourself.

Original post by vincrows

Also, your comment here on Cambridge's use of UMS..... I think you misunderstand why they use UMS. Its purpose is not to slash down numbers. Actually they interview well over 80% of applicants, including some with not-so-high UMS.

Looking at UMS is just a part of whole application they look at, just as a measure to compare an applicant to others in the cohort and predict how their performance may be in A2 because predicted grades submitted by schools are notoriously unreliable. Just as Oxford's admission tutors use AS results to predict the applicants' A2 grades, as... you mentioned here... on other thread, Cambridge uses UMS for the same purpose, which is of course much more accurate data than just grades....:wink:

I'm well aware of the uses to which Cambridge put UMS scores. It only takes the perusal of a few threads to realise just how much emphasis is placed upon these scores http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_UMS_averages_when_applying_to_Cambridge. The use to which UMS averages is put goes beyond sheer prediction.

I never said that Oxford uses AS results to predict what applicants will achieve at A2 level. In fact, they're not considered holistically as part of the application process as they are seen as a stepping stone to the full A2. A2 predictions are used for this purpose, as imperfect as they are. The open offer system is designed to replace those students who miss their grades.

FYI, I'm not a fan of the sarcastic pleasantries.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RonnieRJ
I was kind of expecting that answer. I generally feel that Oxford is a little more "stiff" than Cambridge, but I still like both universities. I'm just currently trying to decide whether to risk my averagy-kinda UMS with Cambridge or just apply for Oxford :/ thank you btw!

I would apply to Oxford if you feel you are more likely to get a place there.
Good luck though in whatever you decide to do :smile:
I'm interested in applying to Oxbridge (probably Cambridge) for something like Law, History or Politics.

Because you were offered a place at Cambridge, what did you do outside studying to be a good candidate (Eg work experience/books you read etc.)

Any advice or tips for the best possible chance of getting in would be much appreciated.

Good luck for whatever the future holds for you :smile:
Original post by Banana00
I would apply to Oxford if you feel you are more likely to get a place there.
Good luck though in whatever you decide to do :smile:

Yeah that's how I felt but it's just the thought of doing this much mechanics for first two years makes me sick :frown: I mean I got around 93.7% average in my three best but then people get like 100% so that's why I'm a by worried
Reply 47
According to:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing
the interview rates for subjects in the 2013/2014 cycle was as follows:

The devil is always in the detail especially with some of those smaller courses... BUT in terms of overall percentages what % of Oxford applicants are interviewed? I tried checking tableau earlier but it was offline...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
The devil is always in the detail especially with some of those smaller courses... BUT in terms of overall percentages what % of Oxford applicants are interviewed? I tried checking tableau earlier but it was offline...

Posted from TSR Mobile

What the course listings show is that some of the largest departments offer a number of degrees meaning that tutors can interview more people. Quantitative courses such as mathematics are also likely to interview fewer people (but I think this makes sense).

I'm not sure what the overall percentage is, but that actually distracts from the fact that Oxford has a very high interview rate.
Reply 49
What the course listings show is that some of the largest departments offer a number of degrees meaning that tutors can interview more people. Quantitative courses such as mathematics are also likely to interview fewer people (but I think this makes sense).

I'm not sure what the overall percentage is, but that actually distracts from the fact that Oxford has a very high interview rate.

... for some courses.

And Cambridge interviews (and accepts) candidates with "low" UMS in some courses.

Anyway they are both excellent unis...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
... for some courses.

And Cambridge interviews (and accepts) candidates with "low" UMS in some courses.

Anyway they are both excellent unis...

Posted from TSR Mobile

For a lot of courses. Cambridge has a rep for accepting few candidates with low UMS scores, particularly for NatSci etc. All in all it's a matter of perception in the sense that it's going to put some people off and not others.
Reply 51
Ok so overall Cambridge interviews "more than 80%" of all applicants.

And Oxford, in 2013, had 17,216 applicants and short-listed 9,805 = 57% interview rate.

(Yes I know some courses are much higher, and therefore others will be lower. Applicants should check their course if they want the specific data using Oxford's tableau reporting tool. Unfortunately Cambridge doesn't publish interview rates per course.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
See I have lower GCSEs than average for an Oxbridge student (7A*s, 3As) but my AS level results were 4 As (3 with very high UMS). My school does not cash in AS levels. Does this mean I have a substantially better chance of getting into Cambridge than Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by aubergine7
See I have lower GCSEs than average for an Oxbridge student (7A*s, 3As) but my AS level results were 4 As (3 with very high UMS). My school does not cash in AS levels. Does this mean I have a substantially better chance of getting into Cambridge than Oxford?

Choose the course not the uni... your grades are good enough to give you a reasonable shot at either (albeit in the absence of any other info...).
Original post by jneill
Choose the course not the uni... your grades are good enough to give you a reasonable shot at either (albeit in the absence of any other info...).

What kind of mother info would there need to be?😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
What kind of mother info would there need to be?😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry. We don't need any info about your mother.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is going to Cambridge/Oxford university such a big thing....
Original post by jneill
Don't worry. We don't need any info about your mother.

Posted from TSR Mobile

*other
Banter game is strong here I see:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ActuallyIDo
Why is going to Cambridge/Oxford university such a big thing....

The reason is this.
Original post by jneill
Don't worry. We don't need any info about your mother.Posted from TSR Mobile

*other
Banter game is strong here I see:wink:
Posted from TSR Mobile

High quality banters by the sharpest minds in the country going on there. Everyone wants to be the part of it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Banana00
I'm interested in applying to Oxbridge (probably Cambridge) for something like Law, History or Politics.

Because you were offered a place at Cambridge, what did you do outside studying to be a good candidate (Eg work experience/books you read etc.)

Any advice or tips for the best possible chance of getting in would be much appreciated.

Good luck for whatever the future holds for you :smile:

Hi!

In the summer of year 12, without really having decided I would apply to Oxbridge, I just did tons of reading. I didn't read too many books but I read a few and tried to make notes. Mine included Eve Was Framed by Helena Kennedy, Letters to a Law Student (obv), What About Law? (obv), and The Social Contract by Rousseau.

I also read lots of current affairs articles (particularly on The Guardian, because they have good op-eds as well; The Economist when I could), which was also part of my LNAT prep. Quite a bit of current affairs-y, sociological discussion came up, so the wider reading helped to inform a more original viewpoint while having stuff to back it up.

That summer I also did a week's work experience shadowing a barrister in court which was not only REALLY COOL but gave me a bit of extra confidence when talking about why I wanted to be a barrister (I talked about this in my personal statement and Cambridge's SAQ) because I knew more about it.

Finally, Cambridge has its own Law test before the interview, which I practised for with a teacher at school who coordinated Oxbridge stuff. Just practise writing clearly and get a teacher to mark it for you and go through it with you.

So basically my tips would be read lots of books and articles (anything with an argument!) and break it down, practise essays and problem questions (see Cambridge website for samples) with a teacher marking them, and also try and get a mock interview arranged, which helped me no end (my mock interviewer basically told me all the stuff I perhaps didn't want to hear and I was able to improve upon it.

Hope this helps :smile:

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest