The Student Room Group

I'm worried I might have aspergers...

... or that I might be on the Autism spectrum :s-smilie:

Either that or I've been spending too much time trying to internet diagnose myself :s-smilie:

How can I tell if I do? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tootles44

Either that or I've been spending too much time trying to internet diagnose myself :s-smilie:

You can go see a psychologist... or just stop worrying and embrace the only label you need, "awesome".
Reply 2
Original post by Nangnang
You can go see a psychologist... or just stop worrying and embrace the only label you need, "awesome".

Love that label
Reply 3
Original post by Nangnang

"awesome"? are u being facetious?

I can't just pop into my local psychologist like that!
"awesome"? are u being facetious?

I can't just pop into my local psychologist like that!

You could try. They might just go with it :tongue:

I cannot remember what that word means. I would look it up but I'm tired and lazy.
My lovely, I myself was diagnosed (by a teacher) with Aspergers at 4 (was officially diagnosed later), and there's no shame in being anywhere on the autistic spectrum. I have a few really close, amazing friends, I'm about to get my GCSE results, and I'm even dating a lovely transgendered girl over the Internet and have been for 9 months. It's not stopped me, like I've always thought it would, from doing any of those things, even with mental illness slapping me in the face alongside it. Many of the people I know have Aspergers or some form of autism, or have such traits - a couple of my few friends, my girlfriend, some of my family members... and I adore them all the more for it. Those are some of my favourite people in all the world for being Aspies, to be honest with you. I love hearing about their special interests, and having someone to be awkward with me in scary social situations.
If you ever, ever need a chat, please, drop me a message. You are a beautiful person regardless, my darling, I promise.

But yes. I definitely encourage you to see a psychologist and be diagnosed, rather than try and label yourself; it will do you no good and get you fretting when you may just be a little different anyway. I wish you all the best <3
I know the feeling, I've started to think i'm autistic :smile:
Original post by GenuineHpLaptop
I know the feeling, I've started to think i'm autistic :smile:

I don't think you just 'think' you're autistic. I just hope you're not one of those 2edgy5me people. I don't think mental illness should be imitated or shizzle. It's not really cool tbh...
Original post by Imperion
I don't think you just 'think' you're autistic. I just hope you're not one of those 2edgy5me people. I don't think mental illness should be imitated or shizzle. It's not really cool tbh...

To be fair, we have no way of knowing, so it may be best to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Also, while I completely agree mental illness should never be imitated, this is a cognitive condition and not a mental illness. Just thought I should say that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Do1phinDreamer
To be fair, we have no way of knowing, so it may be best to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Also, while I completely agree mental illness should never be imitated, this is a cognitive condition and not a mental illness. Just thought I should say that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely it would be better to see a professional rather than ask TSR? Aha my bad :tongue: Apologies if it offends anyone.
Surely it would be better to see a professional rather than ask TSR? Aha my bad :tongue: Apologies if it offends anyone.

Of course, but the thing was they were asking whether they should. And it's also partially a thing of "Yeah, you're not alone" which helps some people. :smile:

It's probably not a good idea to spend too long on the internet trying to self diagnose. If you genuinely think you have it and you think that a diagnosis would help you (which it probably would if you're currently in the education system) then you should probably talk to your doctor about getting an actual clinical diagnosis.
So you think you might have something which doesn't exist?

Didn't you know that there's no such thing as Asperger's syndrome anymore? There is only autism.

Autism means you're brain is wired unusually. But it covers lots of ways your brain could be wired. So it doesn't tell you much. No two people with 'autism' have the brain wired the same way.

All you can do is see if you have any specific problems. Such as with poor memory. Or social skills. And try and improve them.

What else can you do? Just get on with your life I guess. Just like everybody else.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Do1phinDreamer
Of course, but the thing was they were asking whether they should. And it's also partially a thing of "Yeah, you're not alone" which helps some people. :smile:

Who the hell are you? ... You're such an eye opener... jeez, I feel so stupid right now. :tongue:
Those internet tests are really not accurate. There's a lot of crossover with Autism and other conditions. For example, my original diagnosis was OCD. (this gets worse if I'm stressed, for example and is a sensory thing)
Reply 15
Call the National Autistic Society (NAS). Best decision I ever made.
NAS are useless in my experience.
At the end of the day you have to help yourself, since support can only go so far and we're living in dog-eat-dog world
Reply 18
Don't listen to these clowns, unless you plan on drawing disability benefit it isn't worth getting diagnosed, you'll just become stigmatized. As for people being understanding? Hah!
Who the hell are you? ... You're such an eye opener... jeez, I feel so stupid right now. :tongue:

Hahaha - don't know I can answer that :P And haha, thanks. You're not stupid at all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest