The Student Room Group

I'm worried I might have aspergers...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noobynoo
So you think you might have something which doesn't exist?

Didn't you know that there's no such thing as Asperger's syndrome anymore? There is only autism.

Autism means you're brain is wired unusually. But it covers lots of ways your brain could be wired. So it doesn't tell you much. No two people with 'autism' have the brain wired the same way.

All you can do is see if you have any specific problems. Such as with poor memory. Or social skills. And try and improve them.

What else can you do? Just get on with your life I guess. Just like everybody else.

As much as you may or may not have a point you are unfortunately wrong.
You can have autism and not have asperger's syndrome but you can't have asperger's without autism as asperger's itself is a form of autism.

It is called the "Autistic spectrum" meaning there are a massive amount of variant cases to be specific asperger's is a branch more specific to autism in children

Asperger's is the area specific to lack of verbal communication and empathy in children to their peers, it can also mean they are clumsy and other things.

Again autism is a massive range of different things and can't be just explained by a few stereotypes.
Lets go into it a bit.

While it is common to have communication problems in people who have autism, it is not a thing that symbolises it. Not all people with autism have problems communicating or being heard, they could be the most social person you know, but that isn't the stereotype you know so it isn't the 'black and white' version of your knowledge.

Instead a person may have problems with explaining ideas rather than socially communicating.

There is also said that they can lack the ability to understand others emotions but then you get autistic people who keep all their family together through a hard time because of sentiment. The ability to empathise is harder for them to learn but not impossible and with practise they could almost be on par with neurotypicals (NTs).

People say people with autism have learning difficulties, then you find out people like einstein was autistic and you wonder how could a person with learning disabilities create half the foundation we rely on in math and physics.

I must also mention I dislike the phrasing of the title "I'm worried I might have asperger's" as that would mean by that phrasing that if you did then it is a bad thing. If anything finding out you have it means you can get help that people at the age of 80 never had even though they have had it for their lives.

You must also consider the fact that autism is caused mainly by genetics and that you don't suddenly "come down with autism" rather you only just noticed it or similar things to it because you were in your prefered environment.

Original post by Plutonian
Don't listen to these clowns, unless you plan on drawing disability benefit it isn't worth getting diagnosed, you'll just become stigmatized. As for people being understanding? Hah!

Just because you have something as this "Label" people are scared of, doesn't mean it has to affect people.
I'm mainly stopping myself from tearing you apart.

If you have the "Label" this then means people know you aren't this concept of "Normal", Heck if you are normal I don't want to be.
Having a diagnosis doesn't instantly mean people will hate you try actually thinking about that for once. If the OP is over 18 then they can go for a private check up without anyone going with them to find out, the doctors are under confidentiality and cannot say anything unless it is either a risk or without consent.
Unless you think you can list my 23 different diagnoses I have right on the spot.

People won't find out unless you let them know and even then you don't have to put it down on your CV you have it unless it will affect how you perform, aka depression or bipolar.
Who cares if you tell anyone about it? You now know it is a part of your genetics and it enables you to learn about yourself and how to cope with situations in a way that people don't notice what you have.
Unlike you (Most) people don't look for things wrong in a person 24/7 and will just try to get on with them.

Right I'll stop ranting before I go overboard...
But seriously, this thread was "I need someone to support me in my choice" not "Everyone hates you if you are anything but normal".
The only person stigmatising is you Plutonian...
Original post by Arkarian
As much as you may or may not have a point you are unfortunately wrong.
You can have autism and not have asperger's syndrome but you can't have asperger's without autism as asperger's itself is a form of autism.

It is called the "Autistic spectrum" meaning there are a massive amount of variant cases to be specific asperger's is a branch more specific to autism in children

Asperger's is the area specific to lack of verbal communication and empathy in children to their peers, it can also mean they are clumsy and other things.

Again autism is a massive range of different things and can't be just explained by a few stereotypes.
Lets go into it a bit.

While it is common to have communication problems in people who have autism, it is not a thing that symbolises it. Not all people with autism have problems communicating or being heard, they could be the most social person you know, but that isn't the stereotype you know so it isn't the 'black and white' version of your knowledge.

Instead a person may have problems with explaining ideas rather than socially communicating.

There is also said that they can lack the ability to understand others emotions but then you get autistic people who keep all their family together through a hard time because of sentiment. The ability to empathise is harder for them to learn but not impossible and with practise they could almost be on par with neurotypicals (NTs).

People say people with autism have learning difficulties, then you find out people like einstein was autistic and you wonder how could a person with learning disabilities create half the foundation we rely on in math and physics.

I must also mention I dislike the phrasing of the title "I'm worried I might have asperger's" as that would mean by that phrasing that if you did then it is a bad thing. If anything finding out you have it means you can get help that people at the age of 80 never had even though they have had it for their lives.

You must also consider the fact that autism is caused mainly by genetics and that you don't suddenly "come down with autism" rather you only just noticed it or similar things to it because you were in your prefered environment.

Just because you have something as this "Label" people are scared of, doesn't mean it has to affect people.
I'm mainly stopping myself from tearing you apart.

If you have the "Label" this then means people know you aren't this concept of "Normal", Heck if you are normal I don't want to be.
Having a diagnosis doesn't instantly mean people will hate you try actually thinking about that for once. If the OP is over 18 then they can go for a private check up without anyone going with them to find out, the doctors are under confidentiality and cannot say anything unless it is either a risk or without consent.
Unless you think you can list my 23 different diagnoses I have right on the spot.

People won't find out unless you let them know and even then you don't have to put it down on your CV you have it unless it will affect how you perform, aka depression or bipolar.
Who cares if you tell anyone about it? You now know it is a part of your genetics and it enables you to learn about yourself and how to cope with situations in a way that people don't notice what you have.
Unlike you (Most) people don't look for things wrong in a person 24/7 and will just try to get on with them.

Right I'll stop ranting before I go overboard...
But seriously, this thread was "I need someone to support me in my choice" not "Everyone hates you if you are anything but normal".
The only person stigmatising is you Plutonian...

Yes but what I meant was that the psychologists have said that Aspergers is not longer a separate condition. It's all just called Autism now. So you shouldn't use the word Aspergers as it no longer has any meaning.

Also there's no evidence that Einstein (or any other genius) was autistic. That is slanderous. Whenever someone is an eccentric genius everyone always likes to bring them down and say they were autistic.

Einstein could function perfectly well in society and was happily married. It just so happened he liked his own company and didn't like giving interviews. That doesn't make him autistic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes but what I meant was that the psychologists have said that Aspergers is not longer a separate condition. It's all just called Autism now. So you shouldn't use the word Aspergers as it no longer has any meaning.

Also there's no evidence that Einstein (or any other genius) was autistic. That is slanderous. Whenever someone is an eccentric genius everyone always likes to bring them down and say they were autistic.

Einstein could function perfectly well in society and was happily married. It just so happened he liked his own company and didn't like giving interviews. That doesn't make him autistic.

Yes it still has its own meaning. As autism is a spectrum we use labels like aspergers to isolate a specific group of autism for specific treatment. A label isn't stigmatising, it is what doctors use to group people in specific areas to get them somewhat correct help. Going more specific on spectrums require even more labels to specifically analyse what people are like.

Also, what are you on? Seriously? It was NEVER a separate condition. It was researched within the same time period as autism, yes but it was a more specific research into children and autism not just autism in general. When the research was collected and organised because of copyright claims they settled for it being a specific form of autism.

As I also said, the stereotype of autism isn't the definitive outline. If a person doesn't show the main behaviours of autism that doesn't mean they don't have it because it is a wide spectrum that can reach most areas and affect different things in different amounts.

Can I slap you for going "Bring them down and say they were autistic"?
Seriously, autism DOESN'T mean a person is screwed in the head.
Having the label of it isn't bad but people who go "Oh its just a thing that will go away if we keep wishing" are just being offensive.

You even used the world "Slanderous" when saying how 'smart people' get grouped in being autistic and how it is a derogatory term used to degrade their genius.

I'm not even sure I want to speak to a person like you.

Try not talking about autistic people like they are the plague and then I might consider replying again.

This is my experience. I, according to a friend of mine, do have problems communicating. I've met people with Autism who don't appear to have those problems.

Having a diagnosis doesn't instantly mean people will hate you try actually thinking about that for once.

If they do hate you, it says far more about them than it does you. I remember telling a friend of mine who kind of knew. (He grew up when the only people diagnosed had things like no speech and behaviour problems) He then tells me he that he knows I've got problems communicating. He actually tries to help me. He knows he's going to have explain some things in a different way to how he'd explain it to everyone else.

However, from experience, some people know before you tell them. I know that at a group I attend, there's a few people who suspect I have it. (I know because I overheard them talking about me and kind of hoping my friend wouldn't say anything)
Original post by OU Student
However, from experience, some people know before you tell them. I know that at a group I attend, there's a few people who suspect I have it. (I know because I overheard them talking about me and kind of hoping my friend wouldn't say anything)

The only people who really notice are either people you tell, hang around with 24/7 where they may care about you as a person and professionals you spend time with.

If a person doesn't care about you then they will just think you are weird and move on from that, as they are your friends they might have noticed you need things different and have started accommodating that.

No person who hates you is going to bother finding out about your disabilities because that means spending time and effort to get to know someone you don't care about.
Yes it still has its own meaning. As autism is a spectrum we use labels like aspergers to isolate a specific group of autism for specific treatment. A label isn't stigmatising, it is what doctors use to group people in specific areas to get them somewhat correct help. Going more specific on spectrums require even more labels to specifically analyse what people are like.

Also, what are you on? Seriously? It was NEVER a separate condition. It was researched within the same time period as autism, yes but it was a more specific research into children and autism not just autism in general. When the research was collected and organised because of copyright claims they settled for it being a specific form of autism.

As I also said, the stereotype of autism isn't the definitive outline. If a person doesn't show the main behaviours of autism that doesn't mean they don't have it because it is a wide spectrum that can reach most areas and affect different things in different amounts.

Can I slap you for going "Bring them down and say they were autistic"?
Seriously, autism DOESN'T mean a person is screwed in the head.
Having the label of it isn't bad but people who go "Oh its just a thing that will go away if we keep wishing" are just being offensive.

You even used the world "Slanderous" when saying how 'smart people' get grouped in being autistic and how it is a derogatory term used to degrade their genius.

I'm not even sure I want to speak to a person like you.

Try not talking about autistic people like they are the plague and then I might consider replying again.

Well it's slanderous to call someone a homosexual even if that's not a bad thing. But that's beside the point.

What I mean by "bring them down" is that normal people (people who haven't invented General Relativity like you or me) can't bear to think that someone like Einstein was a genius through shear determination, and hard work. They always have to give them a medical condition to "explain" why they were so clever and they are not. Why can't people be extremely clever and like to keep to themselves without being called autistic? What next? Was the Budha autistic? Well he must be because he was extremely clever and liked not to talk for long periods of time.

For example you can say, well I would be as clever as Einstein but unfortunately I'm not autistic so it is impossible for me.

Also, it's not me who took away the Aspergers classification it's the scientists. But of course if you identify yourself as an "aspie" for instance, you might not want scientists to take away your label. That's fair enough - call yourself what you like.

Like I said in my first post. I don't think autism is a disease. It's just a general term to say that your brain is wired more differently than average. Since there are many ways the brain can be wired differently it is a very general term. (Hence the "spectrum"). It's like the term "differently abled". That doesn't tell you much. It covers people who are 12 foot tall, 3 foot tall, have six eyes, have ESP, can run as fast as a cheetah, and so on. The same way being "autistic" doesn't tell you much about an individuals condition.

They probably declassified Aspergers as the different conditions it encompassed didn't fall into a neat set but just part of the continuum of all the different possible autistic variations. Like saying there is a condition called being "tall". No, there is no condition, it is just one of the spectrum of heights.

P.S. What I highlighted in bold. That's kind of exactly what it means! Well, if you mean 'screwed' as the wiring is screwed in differently. Not necessarily in a bad way!

PPS. I just did this quiz. I got 32. "Possible autism". What a load of BS. What kind of medical condition gets diagnosed by a quiz? Have a go on the quiz and give yourself more in life to worry about. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Well it's slanderous to call someone a homosexual even if that's not a bad thing. But that's beside the point.

What I mean by "bring them down" is that normal people (people who haven't invented General Relativity like you or me) can't bear to think that someone like Einstein was a genius through shear determination, and hard work. They always have to give them a medical condition to "explain" why they were so clever and they are not. Why can't people be extremely clever and like to keep to themselves without being called autistic? What next? Was the Budha autistic? Well he must be because he was extremely clever and liked not to talk for long periods of time.

For example you can say, well I would be as clever as Einstein but unfortunately I'm not autistic so it is impossible for me.

Also, it's not me who took away the Aspergers classification it's the scientists. But of course if you identify yourself as an "aspie" for instance, you might not want scientists to take away your label. That's fair enough - call yourself what you like.

Like I said in my first post. I don't think autism is a disease. It's just a general term to say that your brain is wired more differently than average. Since there are many ways the brain can be wired differently it is a very general term. (Hence the "spectrum":wink:. It's like the term "differently abled". That doesn't tell you much. It covers people who are 12 foot tall, 3 foot tall, have six eyes, have ESP, can run as fast as a cheetah, and so on. The same way being "autistic" doesn't tell you much about an individuals condition.

They probably declassified Aspergers as the different conditions it encompassed didn't fall into a neat set but just part of the continuum of all the different possible autistic variations. Like saying there is a condition called being "tall". No, there is no condition, it is just one of the spectrum of heights.

P.S. What I highlighted in bold. That's kind of exactly what it means! Well, if you mean 'screwed' as the wiring is screwed in differently. Not necessarily in a bad way!

PPS. I just did this quiz. I got 32. "Possible autism". What a load of BS. What kind of medical condition gets diagnosed by a quiz? Have a go on the quiz and give yourself more in life to worry about. :smile:

Well I'll congratulate you for me not giving up reading your post or deciding to not answer you as you corrected a few things.

Unfortunately for you, there is still no one screwed in the head. That is all in your head. (See what I did there?)
The idea about autism being a disability is only because the general consensus is from NTs and therefore irregular from the main group, hence being a bad term with stigma attached.

Now think about it if the majority of people were autistic. Would that then being degrading people who are geniuses? You try and group the genius not as autistic but being normal?
Last time I checked autistic people invented more things and developed better ideas.

Even if you go "Oh those old people can't be autistic because they have a higher IQ that borderlines autistic people" (And yes, Einstein has an average IQ if you do the math.)

[And you will complain "But he has an IQ of 160-190!", also remember IQ tests are now harder and the average person learns more than they used to. that number is only relevant to the time period]

And again you are misconstruing this. Not all autistic people have language difficulties. Don't try grouping in people who have some similar things as being part of the autistic spectrum to a diagnosable amount. Yes without genetic tests we can't tell who was or not and even then we won't know much because we haven't screened that specific gene.

Most online tests are stupid because you answer them yourself. You don't have any idea how you act other than how you believe and you don't ever thing about what your actions will do depending on the cause. Only people who observe could answer quizzes for you to find and answer and even then it still isn't really that much.

The test also depends on who made it and where it came from. This IS the internet...
Plus they can't go "No you don't have autism" When someone who is diagnosed as autistic gets that result and they can't go "You have autism" to someone who isn't the most likely thing they will put is "You are quite likely to have autism so go ask your doctor".

Also remember that most people even NTs to an extent have autism in some way even if it isn't really diagnosable.

I have to go soon so I may forget to argue some points.

Also lol, "If you identify as an aspie"; Again what the heck, autism is genetic not a choice.
I can Identify as bisexual or as female in gender while having my sex as male; but I cannot just "Identify as an aspie"

Autism isn't about mental capacity it is also about the capacity to learn quicker. (Speaking mainly about autistic people who aren't the people who lose the ability to do basic things) But autistic people are quicker at learning a specific subject. It makes rational sense that if someone is in the top of their career at a young age and starts working on stupidly high tech developments that they show some signs of autism because of the higher learning speed.

Ok checking out the link I have less respect for you.

So the link is to an AMERICAN post (Yes I stereotypically say Americans are stupid) (Oh no! Guess what. THIS IS THE INTERNET. Can't be the worst thing you have read!)

And it is a single magazine going "Its too much work to file it under a subcategory so we will remove it" Dude instead of a news article from a magazine barely anyone has heard of in a country 'far far away' try giving me a scientific page or twenty going "The reclassification of asperger's syndrome under the classification autism is to be reallocated because of the misuse or uncommon use of the phrase" It is a sub category used as a label to differentiate what help people need or are you now suggesting we go back to the day that if a person yelled out loud in the middle of the street they are mentally insane and we shove them in prison and give them drugs till they die?

The current world view is about individuality not about stereotypes.
I'm not going from "Oh I have it so I want to defend it" I'm going from "In the professional use as a doctor we use it to help us diagnose it differently and respond better to a significant group of people"

You said "Being autistic doesn't tell me much about the person" Then you go "Oh they dropped a sub classification about autism that tells you more about the person"

And yes you said that within a line of themselves.

"Didn't fall into a neat set"
Yes it didn't fit into your views. Because NT's see things as black and white.

And sorry? "Give yourself something more to worry about"
What the heck? XD

But again you actually made somewhat of a better effort that time. I might continue telling you your ideologies are outdated and single minded; by being oppressive, logical and single minded.

Seriously though we can cut out the side bits but if you keep thinking specific things that are logically wrong then I can't really agree to any extent. I can compromise to get you to shut up but I won't lose unless you can give sufficient evidence that isn't single sourced to capitalism.

And yes, the only way they get people reading them are with big headlines like that. If they went and make something more truthful or logical they wouldn't get NT readers.
Reply 27
So you think you might have something which doesn't exist?

Didn't you know that there's no such thing as Asperger's syndrome anymore? There is only autism.

Autism means you're brain is wired unusually. But it covers lots of ways your brain could be wired. So it doesn't tell you much. No two people with 'autism' have the brain wired the same way.

All you can do is see if you have any specific problems. Such as with poor memory. Or social skills. And try and improve them.

What else can you do? Just get on with your life I guess. Just like everybody else.

Depending which manual you read through will depend on naming conventions. I think it's the DSM that carpeted the entirety with ASD - autistic spectrum disorder. Autism is still a category but is differentiated by the development of speech.
Reply 28
Why would you worry that you have it though? I am going through the process of testing for this at the moment with my support team as they think it could be comorbid. It's no big deal if you are, it is literally just different wiring. Now earlier someone mentioned it being slanderous stating that certain historical figures were autistic. OK, so let's look at some modern day famous people with ASD.

Daniel tammet - can learn a language in seven days. He showed this on a documentary with Icelandic, which is a category 4 language under military grading. Now that's hard! He can recite pi to over 20,000 digits through his different kind of synaesthesia where he sees numbers as shapes that mould into other shapes etc.

Kim Peek - Although in the end I don't think he had the label of autistic, for many years he did. His brain didn't form lateralised as far as I recall, meaning he had no corpus colossum. This made his brain just store literally EVERYTHING. The 1989 film rain man was based on this guy. Kim could recite telephone directories by heart. He read books with one eye on the left page, right eye on the right in under 8 seconds and had a recall percentage of approximately 98% on all things read. Not bad for someone they said would never speak or read!!

Paddy Considine - Hollywood actor
Nothing as special as the guys above, but this guy is more like the standard aspie that we often come across. Struggled with socialising all his life with only a select number of close friends, struggled on the telephone etc. Diagnosed at 36 years old I understand. He did an interview about it not long ago and for all of the people that say "Just get on with life" he said on the interview that being diagnosed with ASD answered a lot of questions about why he is that way. I understand that too. Having something to attribute to your certain rituals and differences can help with understanding it more.

That Simon Baron Cohen test for ASD I score in at 46. It is advisable to get someone else that knows you to fill it in as it will give a truer representation of you.

Now, I take it we are all aware that prior to the term aspergers being introduced, it was formerly known as childhood schizophrenia? So many similarities between the two. You only have to read the DSM to see that either schizophrenia or ASD cannot be diagnosed together due to them being so closely paired.

At the end of the day, if you have it, I think an actual diagnosis after assessment would do you good more that bad because then at least you won't be searching for your own answers and having google diagnose you with mad cows disease as well.
If the assessment confirms your assumptions find coping strategies for the things that you struggle with. Different methods of dealing with everyday situations that are obstacles are awesome. Plenty of people live fulfilled lives with ASD and many work in the field that they obsess about. My younger phases were football statistics which I stored on my c64 computer. Didn't even understand the game properly but kept detailed accounts of scores, attendances etc. Dont think sky Sky Sports would take me though. Speciality piece of data was goalkeepers that had scored goals. So rare. My next phase was vinyl record catalogue numbers that I could recite on hearing the song and say the b side too. That was my school life :-D loved it.
If you have ASD, psychosis, schizophrenia, whatever..... Don't worry about it because it is who you are! Doesn't make you a lesser person or a bad person.... As my mum says to me.... It just makes you different!
Here's a thought. Is it better to do an IQ test to see how clever you are? Or will that ruin your life?

Because if you don't do the IQ test, then you will carry on life thinking you are just like everyone else and have a happy life.

But if you do the IQ test and it says you have a genius level IQ then you might get big headed but also sad that you haven't lived up to your potential.

So in the end maybe ignorance is bliss?

Just because you can do something in life. Doesn't mean you should.

Those quizzes are just guides and aren't meant to be used instead of a medical opinion. I know that when I was being diagnosed, they used one of the quizzes on me, amongst other things.
Those quizzes are just guides and aren't meant to be used instead of a medical opinion. I know that when I was being diagnosed, they used one of the quizzes on me, amongst other things.

Imagine if they used quizzes to diagnose people with bowel cancer. Everyone with piles or a stomach ache would do the quiz and instantly think they had bowel cancer!

But thankfully they don't diagnose it that way they do physical tests and scans and biopsies. And even then the tests aren't 100% reliable and have false positives.

So, anything diagnosed by a quiz you have to take with a pinch of salt.

Until they have an actual scan or blood test for autism you have to take any diagnosis with a grain of salt. For some people it will be very obvious but those on the border line a quiz doesn't prove much.

It's surprising how many people have 100% faith in doctors when the even doctors don't have the science yet. And yes a medical opinion is just that, an 'opinion'. Just because you went to medical school doesn't mean you can instantly diagnose every condition, even conditions that don't have physical tests. Doctors aren't magic men. They're just people like you or me with a medical degree.

Mind you, people had 100% faith in doctors when they used leaches and blood letting to try and cure people.

For 30 years doctors told us not to eat fat because it's bad for the heart. And then suddenly they decide that's a lot of nonsense. Shows how the medical profession can get lots of things wrong if they don't have the proper evidence.
(edited 8 years ago)
Until they have an actual scan or blood test for autism you have to take any diagnosis with a grain of salt. For some people it will be very obvious but those on the border line a quiz doesn't prove much.

A test by a professional is always going to be more reliable than a test from an online website because the professional knows more about the person with their history and other things plus the doctors can see you right there instead of an automated program that is fixed to give an answer with a set result.

Mind you, people had 100% faith in doctors when they used leaches and blood letting to try and cure people.

Leeches are actually really good and are still used to remove blood clots because they thin blood and can remove infection they also don't cause nearly as much pain as other methods. People have been given leaches and because leeches keep blood flowing and will eat dead skin it has saved peoples limbs instead of them getting cut off.

http://www.healthline.com/health/what-is-leech-therapy
A test by a professional is always going to be more reliable than a test from an online website because the professional knows more about the person with their history and other things plus the doctors can see you right there instead of an automated program that is fixed to give an answer with a set result.

Yes, probably more reliable. So if the test is 10% reliable. The doctor might be 20% reliable. Still. Not something to base your life around.
Yes, probably more reliable. So if the test is 10% reliable. The doctor might be 20% reliable. Still. Not something to base your life around.

But they also then have the ability to check your records and information to give a more grounded opinion than a single test that bases it off a set criteria.
Imagine if they used quizzes to diagnose people with bowel cancer. Everyone with piles or a stomach ache would do the quiz and instantly think they had bowel cancer!

But thankfully they don't diagnose it that way they do physical tests and scans and biopsies. And even then the tests aren't 100% reliable and have false positives.

So, anything diagnosed by a quiz you have to take with a pinch of salt.

It's surprising how many people have 100% faith in doctors when the even doctors don't have the science yet. And yes a medical opinion is just that, an 'opinion'. Just because you went to medical school doesn't mean you can instantly diagnose every condition, even conditions that don't have physical tests. Doctors aren't magic men. They're just people like you or me with a medical degree.

For 30 years doctors told us not to eat fat because it's bad for the heart. And then suddenly they decide that's a lot of nonsense. Shows how the medical profession can get lots of things wrong if they don't have the proper evidence.

It's not just quizzes. They also talk to your parents, they oserve how you behave etc. You clearly have no idea how the diagnostic process works, do you?
It's not just quizzes. They also talk to your parents, they oserve how you behave etc. You clearly have no idea how the diagnostic process works, do you?

Yes of course I do. So I observe a geek playing games on his computer all day and never going out. I ask his parents (and what parents really know anything about their children?). And therefor I diagnose social anxiety.

Or... maybe he's just a geek.

On the other hand. I put his head in a MRI scanner and see that his brain is wired differently. THEN I can diagnose him.

Otherwise I am not afraid to say "I just don't know what's wrong with him."

If autism is a medical diagnosis. Why isn't "being a geek" a medical diagnosis?

Each can be diagnosed with quizzes and asking parents and observation. Now I think most people will say "being a geek" is not a medical condition. But the "symptoms" are very close to mild autism. So on these borderline cases you can never be 100% sure. What happens if you are diagnoses autistic when really you are "just" a geek? What difference to your life will it make?

Maybe one day we'll find out geeks brains are wired differently. But so what?
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes of course I do. So I observe a geek playing games on his computer all day and never going out. I ask his parents (and what parents really know anything about their children?). And therefor I diagnose social anxiety.

Or... maybe he's just a geek.

On the other hand. I put his head in a MRI scanner and see that his brain is wired differently. THEN I can diagnose him.

Each can be diagnosed with quizzes and asking parents and observation. Now I think most people will say "being a geek" is not a medical condition. But the "symptoms" are very close to mild autism. So on these borderline cases you can never be 100% sure. What happens if you are diagnoses autistic when really you are "just" a geek? What difference to your life will it make?

Maybe one day we'll find out geeks brains are wired differently. But so what?

You've just demonstarted you don't know how the dagnostic criteria / process works. Part of the reason for my diagnosis was because of the serious issues I have with regards to communication / relationships.

I think you really need to educate yourself on what Autism really is. I would love it if it was just being a geek. But when you're having to warn your friend that you need routine and he constantly tells you he doesn't understand what you mean / he's got to be careful how he words things because he knows you're either going to take it completely the wrong way or not going to have a clue what he really means.

No, you don't. You very clearly don't have a clue how mental health diagnoses are. There isn't a single doctor or psychologist in the country who would diagnose someone with a mental disorder on the basis of playing video games all day.

Once again, you're demonstrating that you don't know what you're talking about. Do you even know what "his brain is wired differently" even means? The brain isn't a circuit board, it's a ridiculously complicated three dimensional organic network that we barely understand as it is. You can't just plug someone into an MRI scanner and say "Yep, that's disorder X". The causes are so much more complex than that.

Except we do know what's wrong with them. You are demanding proof that does not exist. If somebody exhibits a certain behaviour that causes them problems and gives them certain needs, there's absolutely nothing wrong with giving them a diagnosis. Their needs don't suddenly change or become valid or invalid with a computer printout or physical test.

Because one's a set of interests and another is a set of connected major psychological differences that seriously affects a person's day to day life and has a significant impact on their ability to live independently in society...

Seriously, if you're going to comment on something, I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation for you A) to have an inkling about what you're commenting on and B) to put some level of thought into what you're saying.
(edited 8 years ago)
:O

Quick Reply

Latest