The Student Room Group

Options after 4 rejections

Hello, I appreciate you posted this sometime back there is also the option to study in Spain with the prospect of working within Europe. Fees are considerably lower at only 4.500/5000 euros per annum. There are places still available for 2015 entry so feel free to contact us to see how we can help. We would need to see previous qualifications however we do take on students on a case by case basis
Think seriously about Medical Sciences instead.
Example ...... Bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/...duate/degrees/

Its quicker (and cheaper) to get qualified. And GPs dont win Nobel prizes, medical scientists DO.

There will still be places in Extra which opens next Wednesday (25 Feb) : https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...icant-faqs.pdf
Reply 2
Original post by sydneybridge
Think seriously about Medical Sciences instead.
Example ...... Bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/...duate/degrees/

Its quicker (and cheaper) to get qualified. And GPs dont win Nobel prizes, medical scientists DO.

There will still be places in Extra which opens next Wednesday (25 Feb) : https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...icant-faqs.pdf

you dont have to practice as a doctor after doing medicine, you can go into research and win Nobel prize as well.
Although I agree that doing medical sciences is quicker and cheaper.
Reply 3
I got 11 rejections in total (3 applications) before getting my one offer so if its what you want to do you'll persevere in applying. Personally I didn't want to study abroad I'd rather not have done it at all (so that was my cut off point) obviously make the choice that is right for you.
Original post by medictobe
I got 11 rejections in total (3 applications) before getting my one offer so if its what you want to do you'll persevere in applying. Personally I didn't want to study abroad I'd rather not have done it at all (so that was my cut off point) obviously make the choice that is right for you.

Well done:smile: where was the offer from?
Reply 5
Original post by ibrahimz95
As stated in the title, I got rejected from all the med schools of my choice...
Now I'm musing over the possibility of doing medicine from outside the UK. I've only got the following options at the moment:

1. Aga Khan University, Pakistan
(Number one med school in Pakistan. Offers MBBS degree in 6 years. Cheap but living conditions in Pakistan are not optimum)

2. SGU, Grenada
(More mixed reviews about this one. 1 year pre-med and 4 years med school for a total of 5 years. Heard its expensive.)

3. St. George's at the University of Nicosia, Cyprus
(The degree is the same as an MBBS from St. Georges Uni of London but I dont know much else about it)

4. Australia
(Again pretty blank here but willing to look into it more pending positive feedback from you guys)

5. Rest of the world
(Not ideal but I'll still keep an open mind, let me know about any good programmes you know of)

I'd like to know EXACTLY how feasible these choices are? And also what other options do I have for pursuing a career in medicine?

What grades did you get

Posted from TSR Mobile
Regarding overseas medical degrees, remember two very important points :

* There is no Student Finance for UK students going to the EU for degrees. You'll have to finance the entire thing yourself.

* Anywhere outside the EU will cost you *hundreds* of thousands of pounds in overseas student fees and living costs for the duration of a medical degree.

A better approach is to think long and hard about WHY you didn't get an interview/offer this year - was it lack of work experience, 'juvenile' sounding PS, or just a weak performance at interview - and sort that out in time to reapply in Sept/Oct.
Original post by medictobe

Damn man, Well done:smile:
So I got rejected too! Applied for Law at Queen Mary on impulse as I'd always had a conflicting interest in law alongside my love for Medicine. Sent them a new personal statement and they got back to me the next day with an affirmative offer. So Im planning on studying law then hopefully applying to GEM...and hope the unis wont be too harsh on me for having a non science background. I did take a gap year...didnt work out as you can see. Ofcourse I made the stupidest mistake ever by not applying in yr 13 as my grades werent good enough due to illness and some other extreme issues (I got a ABDDE for AS, repeated some in year 13 and got A*AAC) so this was a first time applying. Straight rejections from all 4 unis..broke my heart. Still not over it. But I know meds all I want so will defo try for GEM here and if not then abroad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi, I am a graduate from the UK (2.2 degree) studying at the St George's UoL 4yr MBBS programme in Nicosia, Cyprus. I had all rejections and just missed out on the London's George's Gamsat cut off got 54 in paper 1 and needed 55) had a relatively poor academic track record, fortunately got into this course in 2013 when it was still new and am now in my 3rd year. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer.
Reply 10
Original post by Br0wnB3ar
Hi, I am a graduate from the UK (2.2 degree) studying at the St George's UoL 4yr MBBS programme in Nicosia, Cyprus. I had all rejections and just missed out on the London's George's Gamsat cut off got 54 in paper 1 and needed 55) had a relatively poor academic track record, fortunately got into this course in 2013 when it was still new and am now in my 3rd year. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer.

Hey, I'm starting the 6yr course this year. I got AAB in my a levels and I am a resit student so my chances of getting in for medicine in the UK are slim. Just wondering what to expect from the course, positive and negatives, any tips... Also, I've book accommodation with unihalls, do you know much about that? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest