The Student Room Group

Things that most freshers don't realise are useful to take to uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by szm95
Do you think it's important to have a laptop for your first year?

I'd be lost without one, plus useful for streaming stuff
Original post by DeborahB
Thanks for that, It sounds like a good idea, I may well give it ago. Louise :smile:

Original post by student2312
I just looked this up, it sounds brilliant! I will definitely be using this in uni.

Original post by anunoriginaluser
I don't want to go through the entire thread to see if anyone replied to you, but look into HP Instant Ink. Supported printers will allow you to pay a monthly fee, and in exchange you print up to your plan (From £2 to £8 a month and 50 and 300 pages respectively) and HP will automatically post you a new cartridge whenever it gets low for free :smile:

I haven't used it myself, though I hope to in university. I've heard good things though.

To be honest at 4p a page that's not any cheaper than most uni print services cost - and I didn't know anyone who printed 50 sheets a month every month.

Taking a printer you buy cheap second hand and a set of cartridges and backups bought cheap online. Don't take/buy paper unless you can't help yourself from print stations. That way you'll save money- not signing up to a subscription.

If you can't take a printer then learning to print/copy 2 pages a side and duplex will save you cash.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
We're students, most of those laptop bags are way too expensive for us.. You can get much cheaper ones than those, and they're still functional

Do you need one is what I'm confused about. What's around with just tucking it in your backpack?
Original post by KöniginderSchnee
Do you need one is what I'm confused about. What's around with just tucking it in your backpack?

Exactly - a backpack/ other bag that holds your laptop (in some sort of neoprene case unless the backpack has a padded section) is quite enough.
doorstop!! Good for making friends
Reply 85
A bag of change - 50p, £1 and £2 coins. Even £5 notes will make life easier for small purchases like food and drink on campus. Many things at uni will work on load-and-debit cards, but it might take a week or two to get them and load them. Take enough change to tide you over for bus fares, laundry machines etc. At the start of the academic year, bus drivers are regularly faced with dozens of students wanting a £1.20 bus fare from a £10 note - change will make the process much faster while you get your student bus pass sorted out.
Original post by GuppyFox
I didn't really see the prices, i do apologise :colondollar:

Still, it wouldn't be hard to find some cheaper versions of those in other shops.

My 15.6" laptop barely fits inside my rucksack, so I'd say a large messenger bag or spacious rucksack is the way to go unless you want a dedicated laptop case such as the last one on the list (which is actually quite affordable).

Buy a bigger rucksack.
Original post by PQ
A printer/scanner/copier. Most universities charge a lot for printing and being stuck in a queue to print something when you're working to a deadline is not fun.

A surprising number of freshers get fooled by the nice weather in September and don't bring a decent winter coat/scarf or an umbrella. We always have a giggle at the drenched students on the first wet day.

Better: do leave things till the last minute.

Are you in Manchester?
Original post by PQ
It depends on your university- they all charge different amounts. Colour printing is usually very pricey though.

Unless you are doing arts, you most likely won't be printing in colour more than 3 times in your whole degree.

P.S. I never knew dogs went to uni :redface:
I just came back to see the discussion about printers. If you're going to do a lot of colour printing, get a printer which has seperate colour cartridges- i.e. magenta, yellow and cyan. A lot of the time you end up using way more of one colour than anything else and thus would only have to buy one cartridge at a time instead of not being able to use the mixed colour cartridge ad have to replace it every single time just to get one particular colour out of it, thus wasting ink.

If you're only going to really be printing essays or something then I'd say don't bother buying a printer. If you already have one it's up to you but I'd say it's a waste of money, even if uni printing is expensive you can go to shops such as Ryman's and printing is relatively cheap, and becomes cheaper in bulk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending