The Student Room Group

Funding for MSc after already completing integrated Master's degree?

Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help with a query regarding funding a second degree. I have recently completed an integrated Masters (MChem) degree in Medicinal Chemistry with Pharmacology, however my real passion now lies in working with Natural Products and medicines derived from natural sources. My experience so far is in organic synthesis but I am wanting to gain experience in working with natural products/ pharmacognosy and the initial identification of potential medicines, rather than just the synthesis of them.

I have seen an MSc course at UCL which looks really interesting and I would love to pursue however there is certainly not a chance I could fund this myself at the current costs. I have heard different things from different people, some saying that since my Masters was integrated with my undergrad degree it still technically counts as my first degree, so I may be eligible for funding of an MSc. Can anybody shed any light on this for me?

Manny thanks,
Bella
Reply 1
Original post by Bella Knight
Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help with a query regarding funding a second degree. I have recently completed an integrated Masters (MChem) degree in Medicinal Chemistry with Pharmacology, however my real passion now lies in working with Natural Products and medicines derived from natural sources. My experience so far is in organic synthesis but I am wanting to gain experience in working with natural products/ pharmacognosy and the initial identification of potential medicines, rather than just the synthesis of them.

I have seen an MSc course at UCL which looks really interesting and I would love to pursue however there is certainly not a chance I could fund this myself at the current costs. I have heard different things from different people, some saying that since my Masters was integrated with my undergrad degree it still technically counts as my first degree, so I may be eligible for funding of an MSc. Can anybody shed any light on this for me?

Manny thanks,
Bella

Hey there,

I was in the same situation. My undergrad is an MPhys but I wanted to do an MSc in programming.

There is a thing called 'equivalent or lower fees' (ELQ), where if you're applying for a degree that's equivalent or lower to one you already hold, you may be charged higher fees (aka the international student rate). It has also been determined that undergraduate integrated degrees count as 'postgraduate'.

Unfortunately this means that you could be charged even higher than anticipated. This varies by university -- and thankfully the one I applied to is charging me the home student fees -- so there's still hope. I think a bunch of unis charged the higher rate for a few years and then reverted back to charging home fees due to a drop in applicants. I did a quick search for you, and this is all I could find on any of UCL's pages:

Equivalent or Lower Qualifications In 2008, the Secretary of State withdrew Higher Education Council funding from students taking courses offering an equivalent or lower qualification to one already held. However, a number of exceptions were made for science courses and it is our understanding that the Certificate of Higher Education in Astronomy is one of these, hence there is no plan to charge any higher fees for the Certificate other than those stated above, except for modest increases each year related to inflation of home student fees.

So, I'm not sure. It looks hopeful, but I'd recommend calling them and asking for clarification.

As for funding, there are a number of postgrad bursaries available (depending on the uni), usually £10,000, as part of the 2015 HEFCE postgrad funding scheme. So, if you graduate this year and you're looking at doing a postgrad starting in September, you're eligible. UCL's info here. You have to have paid the higher tuition fees at undergrad (9k/yr) to be eligible.

If you're not (like I wasn't), then I think you can still be offered a bursary if you impress them at interview (happened to a friend of mine, although I think it's pretty uncommon?). Lastly, there's the PCDL that is essentially a bank loan with no interest until after you graduate.

Hope this helps & good luck!
Reply 2
k3ro thank you for this information that is a great help. I graduated this year and was lucky enough to begin my degree before introduction of the higher tuition fees, however I will still look into any bursaries that are available and get in touch with them for further clarification.

Many thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Bella Knight
k3ro thank you for this information that is a great help. I graduated this year and was lucky enough to begin my degree before introduction of the higher tuition fees, however I will still look into any bursaries that are available and get in touch with them for further clarification.

Many thanks :smile:

No problem. It's unfortunate that we aren't eligible for the HEFCE bursaries this year (though I guess we shouldn't complain, as paying 3k/yr means we have it better in the long run, lol).

Postgrad studies just don't have much funding at the minute. For a lot of people it comes down to the PCDL or nothing, so I guess you should see how you feel about taking another loan haha.

All the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending