The Student Room Group

Sheffield chemical engineering this year or imperial college london next year?

I got A*A*A*A this year and i didnt expect to get that good so i might wait a year for imperial chemical engineering but i dont know if it was worth it to take a year out! What should i do?

In my year out I was thinking I could find a placement at a industry related to chemical engineering but I dont know if that is feasible for me! any advice? If there a significant difference between a chemical engineering degree at imperial and sheffield?
Reply 1
Pretty much no difference between the two unis. I would say there is little point in taking a whole year out just to go to Imperial. Sheffield is a great uni for chem eng.
Reply 2
Original post by Ray7
Pretty much no difference between the two unis. I would say there is little point in taking a whole year out just to go to Imperial. Sheffield is a great uni for chem eng.

So you think the differences are just superficial and any differences in two graduates: one from sheffield, one from imperial are minimal?
No idea about chem eng, but overall Imperial is significantly more highly regarded - both in the UK and internationally.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Sycopation
So you think the differences are just superficial and any differences in two graduates: one from sheffield, one from imperial are minimal?

Yes the differences are indeed minimal, it makes little sense taking a full year out just to go to a slightly better reputation uni and do the same course.

Original post by Ray7
Yes the differences are indeed minimal, it makes little sense taking a full year out just to go to a slightly better reputation uni and do the same course.

I disagree. Imperial is on a par with Cambridge; Sheffield is not.
Reply 6
I got A*A*A*A this year and i didnt expect to get that good so i might wait a year for imperial chemical engineering but i dont know if it was worth it to take a year out! What should i do?

In my year out I was thinking I could find a placement at a industry related to chemical engineering but I dont know if that is feasible for me! any advice? If there a significant difference between a chemical engineering degree at imperial and sheffield?

If you are 100% sure you want to get into engineering after your degree then you might as well get started this year at Sheffield. However, if you're not 100% sure about engineering and may try getting into a different industry after your degree then I'd say it's worth the year out to try and get into Imperial as it is far more prestigious and much more of a target uni than Sheffield.

Personally, with those kind of grades I'd attempt Cambridge and Imperial because you've done really well. What were they in? I think Imperial like maths, FM, chemistry and physics for chem eng.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply