The Student Room Group

Difference between IBD CV and Management Consultancy CV?

Obviously very different roles but how different is the CV for an insight day/SW? I understand that an IBD CV is based around saving and making money and improving efficiency during previous experience. Does a MC CV revolve around similar ideas or would they want to see more of an advisory and leadership/management approach?

Cheers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't think you understand what IB is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
The CV that is... Not the job itself. They want to hear about how you have saved/made money and improved efficiency during work experience as well as the obvious leadership skills. Anyone?
Reply 3
Original post by nickmurp
The CV that is... Not the job itself. They want to hear about how you have saved/made money and improved efficiency during work experience as well as the obvious leadership skills. Anyone?

They want to hear that you can do things. Relevant IB experience is at the top of the list, so spin your experience towards stuff they actually do in IB if possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Do you have any knowledge on how an MC CV would compare?
Obviously very different roles but how different is the CV for an insight day/SW? I understand that an IBD CV is based around saving and making money and improving efficiency during previous experience. Does a MC CV revolve around similar ideas or would they want to see more of an advisory and leadership/management approach?

Cheers.

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Love it when I get a helpful reply. Care to share your thoughts? After a lot of hours reading it seems that you base your CV around results. Including making/saving money and improving efficiency. Explain why this is not the case please.
Love it when I get a helpful reply. Care to share your thoughts? After a lot of hours reading it seems that you base your CV around results. Including making/saving money and improving efficiency. Explain why this is not the case please.

Yes that's somewhat true, but you need to build on that. There needs to be a diverse range of activities/achievements on your CV: i.e. leadership roles, sports, impactful volunteering, society involvement, entrepreneurship etc. Boiling it down to making money and efficiency is not a great way to look at things.

IBD and Consulting are similar in the type of experiences desired from an applicant but they differ in how they are presented. IBD care more about direct impact (quantified), communication skills, etc; whilst Consulting cares more so for the leadership qualities: creating strategies, seeing through objectives, having a 'vision' etc.

The substance is the same but the emphasis is slightly nuanced.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Ok cheers, all I needed. I did know about all the extra curric stuff, just didn't mention it as it's kind of manditory on all CVs.
CV = Grades, relevant exp (or non-rel), extra currics and other achievements.

when you write one, just ensure you place emphasis on the key competencies the company and department would want.

For IBD, social skills, academic skills, commitment, attention to detail, responsibility, communication skills etc..

MC pretty much the sae but dependent on firms you're applying to, you want brand names on the CV whether that be through experience from strong companis BB firms/Big4 w/e else or strong universities Oxbridge/LSE etc..

if you have numerical examples of how you've improved productivity/efficiency definately put that in the relavant plac eon CV. Ensure you have detail to back it up, if ever prompted

Quick Reply