The Student Room Group

Masters or Bachelors (and industry placements)

I'm looking to take Chemistry at the University of Bath. They offer both a masters and a bachelors course. My first instinct was to take a masters course as I like the idea of looking further into the field, but I was wondering if there are any downsides to this/what the pros and cons for each are. For example, would it be harder for me to get in if I apply for a masters, or would the extra year mean I am disadvantaged when looking for work after uni as everyone else has already completed a year of work?

As a side note, I'm also planning on applying for the year of industrial placement. Does anyone have any specific opinion on these or how did you find yours if you've done one?
Reply 1
Original post by MCmnbvgyuio

Industrial placement is very worthwhile. Make every effort you can to get a placement. It's just applying for jobs so it can be demoralising when you receive rejects or no replies but when you graduate the whole process is so easy because of that experience under your belt. The department will probably have some links with companies that have taken students in the past so they will send out information about certain placements. For others, look online as much as you can. I spent some time over the summer after first year looking for companies and the types of industry (formulations (cosmetics, paints etc. like Unilever, P&G, RB), speciality chemicals (Croda, additives like Lubrizol, Infineum), polymers/materials, analytical... and so on). Make a list, see what you want to apply for, keep an eye on what placements become available.

As for MChem/BSc it doesn't really matter at this stage. The MChem year is great if you want some research experience and especially if you are considering a PhD as an option. Unless there are specific grade differences then usually it's best to apply for the MChem and switch down later if you need to. You often can switch up if you do well enough in year 1/year 2 although with the increasing number of students i'm not sure this will be a guarantee (the MChem year is researching within an active research group and there's only a finite number of those in the department at the end of the day).

In terms of how many students they take each year you still count as one whether you're a BSc or an MChem. They don't typically restrict that distribution as it does change by the end of second year as people decide what to do. At the worst, if they didn't think you were suitable for the MChem they can give you a BSc offer through UCAS still. It's unlikely they'll feel any need to do that though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending