The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Mr...
I'm here to stay oldie :colone:

Hehehe, you have enough on your plate this year as it is!! there are soo many new people on here now also! I feel like there are far more people I don't know vs those I do know!
Reply 41
Original post by Mr...
Me? You have A-levels to do my friend :mmm:
Ikr, I've scouted around and found a lot of new Y11s

:ahee: very true, although hopefully my limited experience will have prepared me well enough!!
fresh users!!....:mmm: I just love this time on TSR anyway, everything gets a little more serious as you go up to the next year and it settles in...
Reply 42
Original post by Mr...
:lol: Gut Lak

I'm done with Summer, BRING ON CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

ohmygod........i ****ing hate summer. i hate heat. i hate sunlight that makes me squint. i hate feeling hot and sweating.

BRING ON THE DARKNESS AND COLD WEATHER AND WEARING PYJAMAS AS SOON AS I GET IN FROM SCHOOL AND DRINKING HOT CHOCOLATE AND IT BEING 100% OK
Reply 43
Original post by Mr...
Wow, I love Summer, I'm just over it :yep;

This :colonhash:

eurgh, i don't it like it to begin with.....well maybe i like the first week of summer. then I'm done. are you picking up any results next week?

:mmm: its the best bit. and when you get up at 7 for school and its still really dark outside :drool:
Original post by frostyy
does anyone know what the deal with AS's is? my school told us that the government cancelled them and now we have no exams at the end of year 12 and all the A2's (I assume they'll have a different name now?) will be sat in year 13, hence they encouraged us to take 3 subjects only

it seems that this is not the case with other 6th forms/colleges... what's going on, lol?

AS exams still exist. The only difference is that you don't have to take them. Some schools will want you to do them and if you do you get an AS qualification in the subject. However, if you continue the subject in yr 13 then the AS grade does not count towards your A-level but you still get the AS qualification. This is only for linear subjects though such as sciences. Modular subjects have not changed. You should find out whether the subjects you're doing are linear or modular.

Here's an example (credit to jamestg for posting this)

Take AS and A-level Biology for example.

You can go one of two routes:

Route 1 is two papers in Year 12, and then three papers in Year 13 - giving you two qualifications, AS Biology and A-level Biology.

Route 2 is three papers in Year 13 - giving you one qualification, A-level Biology.

Each route has its advantages and disadvantages

Route 1:
- grades to put on university applications
- you know whether you should drop the subject
- it can theoretically give you a higher A-level grade because you're being examined on the same content again in Y13, and so you can find weaknesses and improve on your AS grade
- if you didn't do too well at GCSE but you're doing well in Year 12 this can help make up for them (providing you improve)

but

- it's more work than you have to do
- you're under more pressure than you need to be
- it makes sixth form feel more fragmented

Route 2:
- you can gain a deep understanding with all of the content, and you have plenty of time to make sure your grades are the best they can be
- you're under less pressure to begin with

but

- you're under a huge amount of pressure to complete all of your exams within a season's period
- you cannot do 4 subjects
- you need to ensure you are on top of all your work from the past two years, which will be difficult due to the huge quantity and difficulty of it all
- you will only have your GCSE grades when you apply to university, so if you didn't do too great it will make your application weaker
Original post by 4nonymous
AS exams still exist. The only difference is that you don't have to take them. Some schools will want you to do them and if you do you get an AS qualification in the subject. However, if you continue the subject in yr 13 then the AS grade does not count towards your A-level but you still get the AS qualification. This is only for linear subjects though such as sciences. Modular subjects have not changed. You should find out whether the subjects you're doing are linear or modular.

Route 1 is two papers in Year 12, and then three papers in Year 13 - giving you two qualifications, AS Biology and A-level Biology.

Route 2 is three papers in Year 13 - giving you one qualification, A-level Biology.

Route 1:
- it can theoretically give you a higher A-level grade because you're being examined on the same content again in Y13, and so you can find weaknesses and improve on your AS grade
- if you didn't do too well at GCSE but you're doing well in Year 12 this can help make up for them (providing you improve)

but

Route 2:
- you can gain a deep understanding with all of the content, and you have plenty of time to make sure your grades are the best they can be

but

- you're under a huge amount of pressure to complete all of your exams within a season's period
- you need to ensure you are on top of all your work from the past two years, which will be difficult due to the huge quantity and difficulty of it all
- you will only have your GCSE grades when you apply to university, so if you didn't do too great it will make your application weaker

Thanks for this info, I'm going to find out whether my subjects are linear or modular :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thevamps99xo
Thanks for this info, I'm going to find out whether my subjects are linear or modular :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Linear courses:
Art and design
Biology
Business studies
Chemistry
Computer science
Economics
English language & literature
English literature
History
Physics
Psychology
sociology

Modular courses:
Business Advanced Level Diploma
Communication and Culture
Dance
Design & Technology
Drama and Theatre studies
French
Geography
Government * politics
Health and social care (Applied)
ICT
Applied ICT
Maths
Maths & Further maths
Further maths
Media studies
Music
PE
Religious studies
Spanish
Theatre studies
let's hope my GCSE grades aren't weak :afraid::afraid:
Linear courses:
Art and design
Biology
Business studies
Chemistry
Computer science
Economics
English language & literature
English literature
History
Physics
Psychology
sociology

Modular courses:
Business Advanced Level Diploma
Communication and Culture
Dance
Design & Technology
Drama and Theatre studies
French
Geography
Government * politics
Health and social care (Applied)
ICT
Applied ICT
Maths
Maths & Further maths
Further maths
Media studies
Music
PE
Religious studies
Spanish
Theatre studies

Oh thank you for that haha, I was looking all over the internet just :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Route 1:

but

Route 2:

but

Thanks for the info, that's really helpful:smile: You did a better job of explaining that in one post than my headmaster did in half an hour of talking:colonhash:
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
Thanks for the info, that's really helpful:smile: You did a better job of explaining that in one post than my headmaster did in half an hour of talking:colonhash:

The KS4 head at my school didn't explain any of this, so I'm dead grateful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
Me? You have A-levels to do my friend :mmm:
Ikr, I've scouted around and found a lot of new Y11s

Er... Who are you?

:hide:
Original post by cranbrook_aspie

LOL, No problem
We're gonna get this to MK II this time guys :colone: @Gingerbread101
Original post by Black Rose

Sounds good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you say so :tongue:
Original post by Gingerbread101
If you say so :tongue:

Are you giving up already? :eek: I expected better. :hand:

Spoiler

Of course we are...

I've reached Donna btw, :giggle:
Are you giving up already? :eek: I expected better. :hand:

Spoiler

Haha, I still haven't figured out why my version looks slightly different to everyone else's- it has less user info at the top of the posts :dontknow:
Original post by Gingerbread101
Haha, I still haven't figured out why my version looks slightly different to everyone else's- it has less user info at the top of the posts :dontknow:

I know, i know!

Latest