The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ImagineCats
I will be studying psychology too! I am doing the summer homework and finding it rather difficult at the moment- hopefully it gets more fun! I am proud to be a Londoner so I understand why you love it :tongue: Do you find English hard to learn or is it easy?

:smile: I really like English, I don't want to be rude to my mother-language but I like it more than Czech language...Can you also PM me? On which college are u studying? Maybe we can catch up after my arriving to London :smile:? I hope I will be able to handle it..Nervous about everything and also scared about the school, that it will be too difficult for me :frown:
Original post by Roubass
:smile: I really like English, I don't want to be rude to my mother-language but I like it more than Czech language...Can you also PM me? On which college are u studying? Maybe we can catch up after my arriving to London :smile:? I hope I will be able to handle it..Nervous about everything and also scared about the school, that it will be too difficult for me :frown:

I am in south-east London, so you have probably never heard of the school! Starting sixth form in a few days it'll be tricky to find a day I'm free, but I'm sure there is one :h: Everyone is nervous about starting! We are all in the same boat, so when you go to your new school just introduce yourself and try to meet as many people as possible
I am in south-east London, so you have probably never heard of the school! Starting sixth form in a few days it'll be tricky to find a day I'm free, but I'm sure there is one :h: Everyone is nervous about starting! We are all in the same boat, so when you go to your new school just introduce yourself and try to meet as many people as possible

On my college are just like 123 people :biggrin:...And I think because of boarding I will have just free weekends, or maybe I will study whole the time and I'll be trying to understand, because everything in English...pff...Quite a big deal :biggrin:
Original post by Roubass
On my college are just like 123 people :biggrin:...And I think because of boarding I will have just free weekends, or maybe I will study whole the time and I'll be trying to understand, because everything in English...pff...Quite a big deal :biggrin:

Wow you're boarding! No wonder you're so nervous! You must be seriously smart to casually move countries and change your whole education to a foreign language- I salute you!
Original post by champ_mc99
Are you a native arabic speaker?

No I took the gcse and received an A* so I thought I'd give it a try as its something totally different from everything else I'm studying .
Wow you're boarding! No wonder you're so nervous! You must be seriously smart to casually move countries and change your whole education to a foreign language- I salute you!

I think time will show how good or bad I am and I think the second describes me more...I am really nervous and doing A-levels can really help me to get on Oxbridge or other leading uni... :/
Original post by FrogSpawn
To get everyone started off while the OP is under construction, here's some questions for you answer!
- What qualification are you taking?

A levels

- What subject/s are you going to be taking?

Biology, chemistry, physics, maths

- How do you feel your GCSEs went?

Pretty well, got 9A* 2A

- An interesting fact?

I'm doing the same as you! How are you feeling about this upcoming year?? :biggrin:
Qualifications: A-Levels
Subjects: Biology, Chemistry, psychology and Maths
GCSEs: Very pleased 😊 (not to mention relieved after waiting 3 months). Got 2 A*s in biology and chemistry (playing to my strengths with my A-level choices 😉😆) 6 As and a B in English (was never too fond of English so I'm not exactly devastated over the B 😆).
Interesting fact: does being a shy introvert count? 😂 I'm not a very interesting person
Original post by Roubass
I think time will show how good or bad I am and I think the second describes me more...I am really nervous and doing A-levels can really help me to get on Oxbridge or other leading uni... :/

If you ever need any English/English uni help feel free to PM me! I've been looking at unis since year 9 so I like to think I know what I'm talking about :biggrin: I'm not exactly looking at Oxbridge, but there are some Russell Groups I love the look of for biomedicine or geography/German!
If you ever need any English/English uni help feel free to PM me! I've been looking at unis since year 9 so I like to think I know what I'm talking about :biggrin: I'm not exactly looking at Oxbridge, but there are some Russell Groups I love the look of for biomedicine or geography/German!

Thank you! My college has 80% acceptance from Russel Group...Hope I will be able to handle it :smile:
Original post by Eleanor303
I've just finished year 12 so if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer (or at least try to!).

I did:

Biology - WJEC
Chemistry - OCR
Physics - Edexcel
Psychology - AQA

How did you find the change from GCSE to A Levels. Everyone is making a fuss over it and now it terrifies me.
Original post by electrahearts
hello! thanks for replying :biggrin:
i was just wondering what sort of things you do in lessons? my school does AQA as well.

I think the specification might be changing, but I imagine the structure of how the course is set out will be fairly similar. The course is broken into different topics, my college does cognitive, research methods, development, individual differences, biological and social psychology.

In our lessons we generally learn some sort of theory (i.e the working memory model in cognitive) then we will look at research studies which support or contradict the model. You will also have to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the study to determine whether it is valid or not.

My class largely learns with a group discussion type thing, my teacher will present the facts of a topic and then get us to comment on aspects of it. I have to admit the current textbook is fairly rubbish but I have made good notes from class and I never used it. We also do written work in order to practice answering questions (particularly in time frames). The longest questions are 12 marks (if I remember correctly) and you only get one of these questions in the entire exam, however the rest of the questions are about 3-4 marks.
Hey everyone,
I'm Sophie and I finished Year 13 and my A level exams in June this year.
Next week, I'm moving to university to study English Literature.
At A level I took Psychology, English Literature and Geography
I also took a LAMDA grade 6 speaking in public qualification.
If anyone has any questions then please get in touch with me :smile:
Original post by JessThomas6
The whole reason I chose psychology was one worksheet I saw, but I've done my summer work (or half of it) and I've already fallen in love! I'd quite like to psychology at Brighton university now, so I suppose it's all good!
Would you say it's easy to revise for or not? I'm doing economics and history as well so I'm slightly nervous about the workload!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally found it easy (and enjoyable) to revise for. Revising the research methods is simply a case of memorising facts and results, and although there are a lot of studies you don't have to learn them in huge detail. I never officially revised the strengths and weaknesses of each of the studies as I could come up with these points on the spot in the exam with ease. A lot of the theories and other things you learn will have real life applications so I liked being able to apply them to a context.

I don't think you should be worried, psychology is not an easy subject (I don't believe any of them are) but it's definitely not the hardest as you don't have to do a lot of 'suggest' questions. You have a great combination of subjects, have fun!
Original post by Pix2015
How did you find the change from GCSE to A Levels. Everyone is making a fuss over it and now it terrifies me.

Honestly I didn't think it was a big jump. The content of what you learn is not much harder, I think its just harder questions in exams which require you to be able to apply the information to unfamiliar scenarios which makes A Levels more difficult.

I had heard similar things to what you are hearing now but I PROMISE it is not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

However, if you feel you are struggling then let your teachers know! They will do something to help you :smile:
Actually not sure- still deciding, I originally put down IB, changed to A level changed back to IB and now doing A Level (but i don't start till next week), so who knows I can change

Maths, Further Maths, Geography, Economics

Good

- An interesting fact?
Nothing.
Wow thanks :-)
Original post by Eleanor303
Honestly I didn't think it was a big jump. The content of what you learn is not much harder, I think its just harder questions in exams which require you to be able to apply the information to unfamiliar scenarios which makes A Levels more difficult.

I had heard similar things to what you are hearing now but I PROMISE it is not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

However, if you feel you are struggling then let your teachers know! They will do something to help you :smile:
A-level
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry
Unlike everyone else on TSR who is taking that "daunting" combination I didn't get 8532 A*s, but yeah pretty good.:smile:
- An interesting fact?
I like turtles.
Original post by Idunnolife45
I am doing A levels -- Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish
GCSEs were quite good, but I feel like I scraped those grades so I want to do better

Interesting fact? I'm very pessimistic and quite panicky :redface:

I'm doing the same A Levels! Honestly same, I'm probably the most pessimistic person ever tbh
A Levels
Maths, Further Maths, Sociology and Philosophy and Ethics
Very well!
- An interesting fact?
Nothing comes to mind. :/

Latest