The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello all. This is my introduction to the thread :smile:

- My name is Iftekhar, and I'm about to start Year 10 in September.
- I'm a huge football fan, and I love watching and playing football and also a proud supporter of Manchester United.
- I am going to be doing 10 GCSEs.
- I am taking Maths, English Lit, English Lang, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History, Computing, Business Studies and Spanish.
- I love maths, I just love it. I also like Chemistry and Business Studies. But to be honest I like all my subjects since I've chosen them.
- I would like to become a future GP, and that means working very hard in all my studies and I am determined to achieve this goal.
- I'm a bit anxious but at the same time eager and I am going to try and give my all this year and hopefully it's going to be a successful year for me. Bring on Year 10!:biggrin:

MY MOTTO: Dream Believe Achieve
Original post by IftekharAhad
Hello all. This is my introduction to the thread :smile:

- My name is Iftekhar, and I'm about to start Year 10 in September.
- I'm a huge football fan, and I love watching and playing football and also a proud supporter of Manchester United.
- I am going to be doing 10 GCSEs.
- I am taking Maths, English Lit, English Lang, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History, Computing, Business Studies and Spanish.
- I love maths, I just love it. I also like Chemistry and Business Studies. But to be honest I like all my subjects since I've chosen them.
- I would like to become a future GP, and that means working very hard in all my studies and I am determined to achieve this goal.
- I'm a bit anxious but at the same time eager and I am going to try and give my all this year and hopefully it's going to be a successful year for me. Bring on Year 10!:biggrin:

MY MOTTO: Dream Believe Achieve

Awesome!:biggrin: Welcome to the thread! :banana:
- Introduce yourself!

Hullo, peoples of the internet! Je m'appelle Gabzinc (well obviously not in real life), Im 14 ( turning 15 in sept) and also have heading to Year 10. Pour moi, the hype is real!

- What are your hobbies and interests?

Video gaming, ie, beaucoup de Nintendo. J'adore Nintendo.

- How many GCSE's are you doing?
Onze (11)

- What subjects are you taking?

Math, English (lang and lit), Triple science, History, IT, Religious studies, Classical (Studies/civilisations), et francais! (J'adore le francais, cependant je ne suis pas francais. Et je ne parler pas francais either)

- Do you think you're ready for the new GCSE's?

**** Yeah! Throw them at me!
Ok seriously, I'm sort of hyped. I bought the New GCSE Maths CGP Total Revision Guide Grades 9-1 Higher Tier for Exam Board Edexcel (what a name) like 2 years in advance :smile: However, the opening message kind of scares me "tougher than ever". And knowing Edexcel, they'll throw an #EdexcelMaths question at us and I'll lose my concentration halfway through the paper -_-

- What's your favourite subject(s)?

Math and Biology for the win!!

- What is your dream career?
Well, subject to change but for now, a Medical Researcher- you know, those silly people in lab coats that create medicines XD

- How do you feel about going into Year 10?

Honestly, I can't wait. Hopefully the immature students in my school will toughen up and become such a competitive student like me :biggrin: only joking, its good to have a diverse community

Anyway, hope to stay around with you guys, and wish you the best of luck in Year 10!

Allons-y!
Original post by Gabzinc
- Introduce yourself!

Hullo, peoples of the internet! Je m'appelle Gabzinc (well obviously not in real life), Im 14 ( turning 15 in sept) and also have heading to Year 10. Pour moi, the hype is real!

Video gaming, ie, beaucoup de Nintendo. J'adore Nintendo.

Onze (11)

Math, English (lang and lit), Triple science, History, IT, Religious studies, Classical (Studies/civilisations), et francais! (J'adore le francais, cependant je ne suis pas francais. Et je ne parler pas francais either)

**** Yeah! Throw them at me!
Ok seriously, I'm sort of hyped. I bought the New GCSE Maths CGP Total Revision Guide Grades 9-1 Higher Tier for Exam Board Edexcel (what a name) like 2 years in advance :smile: However, the opening message kind of scares me "tougher than ever". And knowing Edexcel, they'll throw an #EdexcelMaths question at us and I'll lose my concentration halfway through the paper -_-

- What's your favourite subject(s)?

Math and Biology for the win!!

Well, subject to change but for now, a Medical Researcher- you know, those silly people in lab coats that create medicines XD

Honestly, I can't wait. Hopefully the immature students in my school will toughen up and become such a competitive student like me :biggrin: only joking, its good to have a diverse community

Anyway, hope to stay around with you guys, and wish you the best of luck in Year 10!

Allons-y!

Welcome to the thread! :biggrin: I am also turning 15 in September! I have ordered all the books I need for English and also ordered the new Edexcel Math textbook, I am soon going to be ordering CGP Guides for my exam board for English and Maths. It is really exciting, I only like the shopping for back to school and not actually going back to school (the colours in the aisle are very appealing :tongue:) because it is fun!
If you're enetering year 11 in September the new GCSE spec does not apply to you 😊
Reply 25
Hey I'm going to be going into year 10 this year!

I enjoy reading, drawing, shopping for stationery, YouTube, movies...the list is endless!

I'm doing eleven GCSEs.

English lit + lang, maths, biology, chemistry, physics, religious studies, ICT, French, geography and history.

I'm not really sure but at least it's only English and maths for us and not all subjects.

- What are your favourite subjects?

Probably biology, geography and history.

I would really like to do Medicine or something related to it.

I'm quite nervous but excited at the same time. All I can do is try my best and hopefully year 10 will be a good year! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who ever needs triple science help(biology & chemsitry only as of now as I'm doing physics in September 2015 as I will be in year 11 then ) ,get at me I will gladly help you! 😊
Original post by Mr...
Oh did you do B1,2 and 3 and C1,2 and 3 all this year?

Yes i did! 😊
Original post by shweta9
Hey I'm going to be going into year 10 this year!

I enjoy reading, drawing, shopping for stationery, YouTube, movies...the list is endless!

I'm doing eleven GCSEs.

English lit + lang, maths, biology, chemistry, physics, religious studies, ICT, French, geography and history.

I'm not really sure but at least it's only English and maths for us and not all subjects.

- What are your favourite subjects?

Probably biology, geography and history.

I would really like to do Medicine or something related to it.

I'm quite nervous but excited at the same time. All I can do is try my best and hopefully year 10 will be a good year! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:banana:Welcome to the club!:banana:
I also love shopping for stationery, the back to school aisle in some shops look so interesting and colourful! I am also doing the exact same subjects as you!:five:
Reply 29
Hi, I'm a new member of the forum who'll be starting Y10 in September. I'm interested in football (I'm a proud supporter of Liverpool FC), current affairs and UK politics. For my GCSEs I'll be studying English Language (OCR), English Literature (OCR), Mathematics (Edexcel), Triple Science (AQA), Computing (OCR), French (AQA) and History (OCR). My best subject at the moment are English, Maths and French and my worst are Science and Computing. My dream career is to become a future politician. In terms of work experience, I'm currently thinking of doing work experience with my local MP. Personally, I feel quite nervous but excited about going into Y10 but hopefully it'll be a great year. #YNWA
Reply 30
Got to feel for you guys doing the new system...the grading system doesn't sound nice.
Imagine telling your parents you got an A* then compare telling your parents you got 9, it just doesn't sound nice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Awww look at all these cute year 10s :tongue:

We'll my advice for year 10 is to just enjoy it and focus on coursework (I believe that the new GCSE spec scrapped out coursework for English language and Literature) but I wish you all the best! Make sure you attend after school to catch up on coursework :smile: and always ask a teacher if your stuck on a certain topic :smile:

Good Luck on the new gcse :smile:

- A year 11 student (starting in September)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JTran38
Hi, I'm a new member of the forum who'll be starting Y10 in September. I'm interested in football (I'm a proud supporter of Liverpool FC), current affairs and UK politics. For my GCSEs I'll be studying English Language (OCR), English Literature (OCR), Mathematics (Edexcel), Triple Science (AQA), Computing (OCR), French (AQA) and History (OCR). My best subject at the moment are English, Maths and French and my worst are Science and Computing. My dream career is to become a future politician. In terms of work experience, I'm currently thinking of doing work experience with my local MP. Personally, I feel quite nervous but excited about going into Y10 but hopefully it'll be a great year. #YNWA

Reply 33
Original post by Starlight15
Awww look at all these cute years 10s

Well my advice for year 10 is to just enjoy it and focus on coursework (I believe that the new GCSE spec scrapped out coursework for English language and Literature) but I wish you all the best! Make sure you attend after school to catch up on coursework :smile: and always ask a teacher if your stuck on a certain topic :smile:

The new GCSE spec has scrapped out coursework for English Language and Literature, thus 100% exam based. Thanks for your advice to Year 10's :smile: .
Reply 34
Original post by MrMackyTv

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Original post by Starlight15
Awww look at all these cute years 10s :tongue:

We'll my advice for year 10 is to just enjoy it and focus on coursework (I believe that the new GCSE spec scrapped out coursework for English language and Literature) but I wish you all the best! Make sure you attend after school to catch up on coursework :smile: and always ask a teacher if your stuck on a certain topic :smile:

Yes they have scrapped coursework for English Lit and Lang but not for other subjects but I think they will next year September for the Year 10's then. As far as I know for (my subjects) ICT and Geography have controlled assessments.

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by 0lut0
Got to feel for you guys doing the new system...the grading system doesn't sound nice.
Imagine telling your parents you got an A* then compare telling your parents you got 9, it just doesn't sound nice.

Lucky my Mom's a teacher! She knew this was coming ages ago she just didn't tell me :tongue: I don't see the point of the new grading system because if you can't compare it then why mix it with other subject results. However I do understand how they are introducing it slowly, so next year more subjects will be changed and et cetera... I think we are better off than the lower years, it will be more competitive!
Hi! I'm islands_ and I'm taking 9 GCSES! ( if I get chosen to do triple science it will be 11) I'm taking French, Business Studies and History! My interests are athletics and watching netflix! I think that the new GCSES are stupid and I don't understand why the government change everything all the time. My favourite subject is science and I hope I get to do medicine in the future! I'm really nervous about going to year 10 but I think I will survive :smile:
Original post by islands_
Hi! I'm islands_ and I'm taking 9 GCSES! ( if I get chosen to do triple science it will be 11) I'm taking French, Business Studies and History! My interests are athletics and watching netflix! I think that the new GCSES are stupid and I don't understand why the government change everything all the time. My favourite subject is science and I hope I get to do medicine in the future! I'm really nervous about going to year 10 but I think I will survive :smile:

:banana:Welcome to the club:banana:
I agree with you about the changes, I don't see why they are always changing our education system but when you look at other countries they don't change it as often as we do and they are fine.
Reply 39
Original post by MrMackyTv
:banana:Welcome to the club:banana:
I agree with you about the changes, I don't see why they are always changing our education system but when you look at other countries they don't change it as often as we do and they are fine.

I think the government has changed our education system because they think the current GCSEs are too easy. What annoys me is that, they've rushed in the changes too quickly and that even the teachers didn't know much about the reform to GCSEs .