The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JTran38
I think the government has changed our education system because they think the current GCSEs are too easy. What annoys me is that, they've rushed in the changes too quickly and that even the teachers didn't know much about the reform to GCSEs .

Yes that is true, I think that there is a lot of confusion to the changes. I think that it wasn't made clear early enough and that is what annoys me too. We were told about the changes in the start of Year 9 but the teachers said that they weren't sure on when it was coming and if it was going to affect us. During Year 9, around the middle of the year they confirmed that these changes are going to affect us for English and Maths. But when we asked questions about it teachers were unsure and confused. Towards the end of the year we were told about the new textbooks for Maths and people were volunteered to go check them out to see if they are good enough. Then after that they told us they are going to be teaching us something different from the textbook we were using. What I am upset with is that I started Maths GCSE in Year 9 and the fact they decided to change it now and start again makes it look like I wasted a year. But who cares, they won't listen to us.
Reply 41
Original post by MrMackyTv
Yes that is true, I think that there is a lot of confusion to the changes. I think that it wasn't made clear early enough and that is what annoys me too. We were told about the changes in the start of Year 9 but the teachers said that they weren't sure on when it was coming and if it was going to affect us. During Year 9, around the middle of the year they confirmed that these changes are going to affect us for English and Maths. But when we asked questions about it teachers were unsure and confused. Towards the end of the year we were told about the new textbooks for Maths and people were volunteered to go check them out to see if they are good enough. Then after that they told us they are going to be teaching us something different from the textbook we were using. What I am upset with is that I started Maths GCSE in Year 9 and the fact they decided to change it now and start again makes it look like I wasted a year. But who cares, they won't listen to us.

Yeah, I've also started my GCSE studies in Y9 and didn't do them SATs exams. For me, I was confused with the GCSE changes as I thought they'll change everything in one go. I only found out they'll start with English Language + Literature and Mathematics first when searching through the threads on this forum. I'm annoyed that I've bought the old GCSE revision books for both English and Mathematics and not the new 9-1 version which is due to be released. In terms of starting GCSE studies early in Y9, I don't think it was a waste of time as you're taught roughly the same content. I'm glad they haven't included the Sciences to be changed for our year group, I don't know how I'd cope with more harder and vigorous exams.
Original post by JTran38
Yeah, I've also started my GCSE studies in Y9 and didn't do them SATs exams. For me, I was confused with the GCSE changes as I thought they'll change everything in one go. I only found out they'll start with English Language + Literature and Mathematics first when searching through the threads on this forum. I'm annoyed that I've bought the old GCSE revision books for both English and Mathematics and not the new 9-1 version which is due to be released. In terms of starting GCSE studies early in Y9, I don't think it was a waste of time as you're taught roughly the same content. I'm glad they haven't included the Sciences to be changed for our year group, I don't know how I'd cope with more harder and vigorous exams.

Yes Maths is Maths but in some areas I feel I have wasted time. I'm sorry you got the old GCSE books, I bought the Maths Edexcel Higher Textbook but that was also a waste of money since they have the new one. However I have already got the books I need for English: An Inspector Calls, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Macbeth. So money well spent :smile:

The sciences would be more on facts and I heard rumours that there would be more multiple choice questions. I'm just glad I am in this year because the year below us is going to take this harder than we are, so I feel sorry for them. We could be a lot worse than it is already.
Reply 43
Yes Maths is Maths but in some areas I feel I have wasted time. I'm sorry you got the old GCSE books, I bought the Maths Edexcel Higher Textbook but that was also a waste of money since they have the new one. However I have already got the books I need for English: An Inspector Calls, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Macbeth. So money well spent :smile:

The sciences would be more on facts and I heard rumours that there would be more multiple choice questions. I'm just glad I am in this year because the year below us is going to take this harder than we are, so I feel sorry for them. We could be a lot worse than it is already.

I'm also glad we're not doing the more vigorous Sciences as I struggle in that subject at the moment along with Computing (OCR). I do of course feel sorry for those below us doing the harder exams in all the other subjects. We got lucky :P
Original post by JTran38
I'm also glad we're not doing the more vigorous Sciences as I struggle in that subject at the moment along with Computing (OCR). I do of course feel sorry for those below us doing the harder exams in all the other subjects. We got lucky :P

What exam board do you have for science? If you have AQA I could help you out :smile:
Reply 45
What exam board do you have for science? If you have AQA I could help you out :smile:

Yeah, I have AQA for the Sciences :smile: , thank goodness it's not OCR. I've heard the OCR Sciences exams are more vigorous.
However I have already got the books I need for English: An Inspector Calls, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Macbeth. So money well spent :smile:.

Same here, just the other day I went to read up Lord of the Flies- getting ready for the books we need to study next year.
Original post by JTran38
Yeah, I have AQA for the Sciences :smile: , thank goodness it's not OCR. I've heard the OCR Sciences exams are more vigorous.

Yes OCR is more vigorous, but most people say OCR is good because unlike other exam boards they don't have as much errors with mark schemes and et cetera. So have you already started your course for science?
Original post by Gabzinc
Same here, just the other day I went to read up Lord of the Flies- getting ready for the books we need to study next year.

I also need to get those CGP books for English, some haven't been released yet. I don't want to order them now just in case because I want to hear what the teachers are going to say in september. But I only brought the things they told us to buy in our reports so I am ready to go :smile:
Reply 49
Yes OCR is more vigorous, but most people say OCR is good because unlike other exam boards they don't have as much errors with mark schemes and et cetera. So have you already started your course for science?

I've started to do a bit of B1 and C1 but I'm be starting the course for real in Y10.
Original post by JTran38
I've started to do a bit of B1 and C1 but I'm be starting the course for real in Y10.

I have finished Unit 1 this year. They started the course early for us, dunno why but I guess every school is different. My tip is take notes of every topic so if you have a end of unit test then you can get all chapter notes together and revise instead of making notes for the whole unit at the end. I did that and I wasted a lot of revision time, I could have got A*s. The hardest part for me was Chemistry when we were learning about emulsions and extraction of metals because I had to revise the methods of it. It's good that you have started to learn a bit of it because as you said you're struggling in that field, just skim through it don't take notes it is the holidays so chill. I also recommend watching mygcsescience on youtube because unit 1 is free and is available for all. He is a great teacher and he explains stuff clearly and makes it easy to understand, he helped me in my science internal examinations so you can watch him if you want. I wasn't good at science (I started year 9 science in set 5) but I just worked hard and payed attention in class. As long as you understand and do past papers (and also how to answer different kinds of questions) you should be able to be a pro at science :smile:
Reply 51
I have finished Unit 1 this year. They started the course early for us, dunno why but I guess every school is different. My tip is take notes of every topic so if you have a end of unit test then you can get all chapter notes together and revise instead of making notes for the whole unit at the end. I did that and I wasted a lot of revision time, I could have got A*s. The hardest part for me was Chemistry when we were learning about emulsions and extraction of metals because I had to revise the methods of it. It's good that you have started to learn a bit of it because as you said you're struggling in that field, just skim through it don't take notes it is the holidays so chill. I also recommend watching mygcsescience on youtube because unit 1 is free and is available for all. He is a great teacher and he explains stuff clearly and makes it easy to understand, he helped me in my science internal examinations so you can watch him if you want. I wasn't good at science (I started year 9 science in set 5) but I just worked hard and payed attention in class. As long as you understand and do past papers (and also how to answer different kinds of questions) you should be able to be a pro at science :smile:

Yeah, I was probably doing badly because I didn't take notes of every topic for B1 and C1 meaning I would have to waste precious time flipping through my book. However, I feel I misunderstand some of the topics in B1 and C1 respectively and I did talk to my Science teacher (He's teaching me next year :smile: ). Obviously, I wouldn't be studying hard during my Summer Holidays but I'll skim through it for now. I've been recommended watching mygcsescience before by someone but I guess I'm a tad lazy to watch his videos :/ . I guess I lack self-motivation.
Original post by JTran38
Yeah, I was probably doing badly because I didn't take notes of every topic for B1 and C1 meaning I would have to waste precious time flipping through my book. However, I feel I misunderstand some of the topics in B1 and C1 respectively and I did talk to my Science teacher (He's teaching me next year :smile: ). Obviously, I wouldn't be studying hard during my Summer Holidays but I'll skim through it for now. I've been recommended watching mygcsescience before by someone but I guess I'm a tad lazy to watch his videos :/ . I guess I lack self-motivation.

My study area in my bedroom has lots of motivational quotes and it really inspires me to work. I just think to myself when I am procastinating is I have to work hard in life to be able to get what I want and if I don't then I won't make it. I feel that gives me a big push and I kept repeating that with exam season (I left revising until 3 weeks before subject exams) and I didn't do too bad. I passed everything except RS because all the topics we studied were all in one, the answers are very long and actually most people cheated. I felt so uninspired at that point but just reading a quote or an inspirational video gets me back into it.

Youtube was literally my best friend in exam season lol. :tongue:
My school starts GCSEs 3 years early in now entering year 10 and teachers are going to enter my top set class in for 2016 maths exam however what is going on with these new exam would it affect me!!!
Reply 54
My study area in my bedroom has lots of motivational quotes and it really inspires me to work. I just think to myself when I am procastinating is I have to work hard in life to be able to get what I want and if I don't then I won't make it. I feel that gives me a big push and I kept repeating that with exam season (I left revising until 3 weeks before subject exams) and I didn't do too bad. I passed everything except RS because all the topics we studied were all in one, the answers are very long and actually most people cheated. I felt so uninspired at that point but just reading a quote or an inspirational video gets me back into it.

Youtube was literally my best friend in exam season lol. :tongue:

My study area is also my bedroom :P, though I don't have any motivational quotes around the room :/ . I think I need to re-emphasize the fact that "I have to work hard in life to be able to get what I want and if I don't then I won't make it" and somehow motivate myself (maybe the motivational quotes idea?). Well for my EOY report, I'm doing well in most of my subjects with Grade Bs / Level 8 and for the others I have a Grade C / Level 7. At the moment I'm on the low/secure Grade Cs for both Computing and the Sciences.

The point you've made about people cheating in their RS exam, well cheating in exams gets you nowhere as your just practically making yourself a failure by not learning the content properly and asking for help if needed.

In terms of exam season, I have my friends supporting me lol. :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by chris2791
My school starts GCSEs 3 years early in now entering year 10 and teachers are going to enter my top set class in for 2016 maths exam however what is going on with these new exam would it affect me?

If your teacher is entering your top set class in for the 2016 maths exam, then I doubt the new GCSE maths exam due for 2017 would affect you. However, I can't guarantee whether or not the new GCSE exam will still affect you though I think it's unlikely.
Original post by JTran38
If your teacher is entering your top set class in for the 2016 maths exam, then I doubt the new GCSE maths exam due for 2017 would affect you. However, I can't guarantee whether or not the new GCSE exam will still affect you though I think it's unlikely.

Thank you !!
Original post by JTran38
My study area is also my bedroom :P, though I don't have any motivational quotes around the room :/ . I think I need to re-emphasize the fact that "I have to work hard in life to be able to get what I want and if I don't then I won't make it" and somehow motivate myself (maybe the motivational quotes idea?). Well for my EOY report, I'm doing well in most of my subjects with Grade Bs / Level 8 and for the others I have a Grade C / Level 7. At the moment I'm on the low/secure Grade Cs for both Computing and the Sciences.

The point you've made about people cheating in their RS exam, well cheating in exams gets you nowhere as your just practically making yourself a failure by not learning the content properly and asking for help if needed.

In terms of exam season, I have my friends supporting me lol. :smile:

Those grades aren't too bad. It is a good thing I didn't cheat because at least I feel like I deserved that grade. It just annoys me whenever I see people cheat because I work hard to get the grade that they achieve.

My friends are awesome, some saved me from losing marks in an exam by telling me stuff before the exam I didn't know about. :smile: They are always handy :biggrin:
Reply 58
I know the grades are mostly alright but I feel like I need help in Computing and the Sciences as they're my weaker subjects. Friends are always there for you :smile: @MrMackyTv
Original post by JTran38

Is the new 2017 maths exam the one where you don't get the formula sheet? Not that it matters to me, but I was wondering because they kept telling us about it.

Latest