The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Any of you going to do #EdexcelMaths GCSE? Are you worried that we may see any #HannahsSweets or the "grain question" type questions in the future, or even harder? :/
Original post by Quintessentially
Is the new 2017 maths exam the one where you don't get the formula sheet? Not that it matters to me, but I was wondering because they kept telling us about it.

Yeah it is. My Maths teacher kept telling me that we will have to remember formulas because they have removed it. Which is a shame.
Original post by Gabzinc
Any of you going to do #EdexcelMaths GCSE? Are you worried that we may see any #HannahsSweets or the "grain question" type questions in the future, or even harder? :/

Yes we are probably going to see questions like that in the future. It might be even harder for us :frown:
Original post by MrMackyTv
Yes we are probably going to see questions like that in the future. It might be even harder for us :frown:

Welp, crud- better start revising really early :frown:
Original post by Gabzinc
Welp, crud- better start revising really early :frown:

As long as we cover those kind of questions, I think we should be fine and no need to revise early. I have my mocks in May next year so I should maybe start revising in late-Feb or early-March next year.
Reply 65
Original post by Gabzinc

Yep, I will be doing #EdexcelMaths GCSE. I'm a bit worried about Edexcel setting more outrageous questions like the famous Hannah's sweet question that got most confused. In terms of the Hannah's sweet question, it requires reading the question more than once and actually using your brain. I still don't get why most were stuck at the question but I guess it's the way the question was phrased or that when people see words in a maths exam, their minds go blank.
Reply 66
Original post by JTran38
Yep, I will be doing #EdexcelMaths GCSE. I'm a bit worried about Edexcel setting more outrageous questions like the famous Hannah's sweet question that got most confused. In terms of the Hannah's sweet question, it requires reading the question more than once and actually using your brain. I still don't get why most were stuck at the question but I guess it's the way the question was phrased or that when people see words in a maths exam, their minds go blank.

Hannah's sweets was actually a really easy question - I think a lot of people just didn't take the time to actually read it properly.

The edexcel exams are somewhat harder than some of the other exam boards with some really random questions, but it's pretty easy to get marks for your working out!
hi, my name is lemur14.
-I like playing computer games and performing arts.
-I'm taking maths, further maths, english lang + lit, biology, physics, chemistry, computing, electronic products, history and business studies in year 11, rs and ECDL for finishing in year 10 and are getting results for French and citizenship tomorrow! So by the end of year 11 I should have 13.5/14 GCSEs (2 half ones, one of which I may well fail (rs))
-Yep, I know, my school is different and we spread our GCSE's over 3 years. The only courses we haven't started are maths (both), English (both), history and business. The rest of them we've covered 1/3 of the course (or half in the case of rs and ECDL.)
-My best subject will probably be chemistry as I'm quite good at it and we have an amazing teacher although hopefully maths will be good as well (was great until this year we had a terrible teacher), depends on the new teacher we have (know nothing about them beyond their name).
-I think the new GCSEs are either completely stupid or brilliant- I'll decide after I get my maths grade as predicted an A* in old grades but may only be an 8 and would rather have top grade obvs.
-I have no clue what I want to do tbh!
-Apart from the fact we had so many French lessons # so we could cover the course in one year) then I think year 9 was better than year 10 will be as it was almost completely subjects I liked and was ok ish at whereas having to pick some more options before year 10 means I have to go back to doing some subjects I don't like as much.

If anyone wants any help with their French then I can try my best as I hopefully have passed it.
Original post by Lemur14
hi, my name is lemur14.
-I'm taking maths, further maths, english lang + lit, biology, physics, chemistry, computing, electronic products, history and business studies in year 11, rs and ECDL for finishing in year 10 and are getting results for French and citizenship tomorrow! So by the end of year 11 I should have 13.5/14 GCSEs (2 half ones, one of which I may well fail (rs))
-Yep, I know, my school is different and we spread our GCSE's over 3 years. The only courses we haven't started are maths (both), English (both), history and business. The rest of them we've covered 1/3 of the course (or half in the case of rs and ECDL.)
-My best subject will probably be chemistry as I'm quite good at it and we have an amazing teacher although hopefully maths will be good as well (was great until this year we had a terrible teacher), depends on the new teacher we have (know nothing about them beyond their name).
-I think the new GCSEs are either completely stupid or brilliant- I'll decide after I get my maths grade as predicted an A* in old grades but may only be an 8 and would rather have top grade obvs.
-Apart from the fact we had so many French lessons # so we could cover the course in one year) then I think year 9 was better than year 10 will be as it was almost completely subjects I liked and was ok ish at whereas having to pick some more options before year 10 means I have to go back to doing some subjects I don't like as much.

If anyone wants any help with their French then I can try my best as I hopefully have passed it.

:banana:Welcome to the club!:banana:
I thought that additional/further Maths was scrapped for new gcse's because it will be covered in the new maths gcse?:erm:
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't know if that is the case. We just got told that instead of doing maths in year 10 and additional/further maths in year 11 we would do both in year 11 but our teacher is a bit rubbish and may have just been assuming or just told us incorrect information. Maybe they might overlap enough that we just cover one course and sit qualifications in each but I don't know.
Reply 70
Original post by Lemur14
hi, my name is lemur14.

Hi Lemur, welcome aboard :smile: . Good Luck today on getting your French and Citizenship results today. Interesting that your GCSEs are spread over three years, mine is also spread over three years but I'll start covering the GCSE content properly for most subjects in September. I have done a few speaking assessments for French and I've done a bit of GCSE content in Computing. Annoyingly they put the IT students in the same class and the teacher usually focuses on them. I would to have some help on French though I'm doing alright.
Reply 71
Original post by Lemur14
Don't know if that is the case. We just got told that instead of doing maths in year 10 and additional/further maths in year 11 we would do both in year 11 but our teacher is a bit rubbish and may have just been assuming or just told us incorrect information. Maybe they might overlap enough that we just cover one course and sit qualifications in each but I don't know.

If I was you, I would speak to your head of department about the maths exams as he/she should know.
Original post by Lemur14

Yes I agree with @JTran38 speak with the head of department so you get to know. I know that they scrapped it and instead of doing additional/further maths I am doing Level 3 Maths (A-Level Maths) so it can give me a good start to A-Level. That's what I've heard so far.
Reply 73
Yay! The year 10 thread is up!
My name is Megan and I have just turned 14 (August 14th was my birthday) and I am super super excited to go into year 10 in September haha
I love sports and I do a ton of sports like dancing, horse riding, athletics and judo!
I am doing English Lit, English Language, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, German, Drama, PE, History and a short course RE so altogether I will be doing 10.5 GCSES, though I wish our school let us do more, I would of really liked to do a technology as well.
I think I'm ready for the GCSE's, at least I hope so. I don't know why the had to change the grades to numbers, but whatever.
I am hoping to study Medicine at university and become a paediatrician when I am older, so the next few years will mean a lot to me!

So yeah that is pretty much me :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by mxgxn
My name is Megan and I have just turned 14 (August 14th was my birthday) and I am super super excited to go into year 10 in September haha
I love sports and I do a ton of sports like dancing, horse riding, athletics and judo!
I am doing English Lit, English Language, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, German, Drama, PE, History and a short course RE so altogether I will be doing 10.5 GCSES, though I wish our school let us do more, I would of really liked to do a technology as well.
I think I'm ready for the GCSE's, at least I hope so. I don't know why the had to change the grades to numbers, but whatever.
I am hoping to study Medicine at university and become a paediatrician when I am older, so the next few years will mean a lot to me!

Welcome Aboard! :smile:
Original post by mxgxn

:banana:Welcome to the club!:banana:
Original post by JTran38
If I was you, I would speak to your head of department about the maths exams as he/she should know.

Original post by MrMackyTv
Yes I agree with @JTran38 speak with the head of department so you get to know. I know that they scrapped it and instead of doing additional/further maths I am doing Level 3 Maths (A-Level Maths) so it can give me a good start to A-Level. That's what I've heard so far.

I've just had a look and I think it's statistics that we do rather than further/additional.

Just received my results from this year, if I feel how I felt this year in 2 years time but multiplied by the number more that I am taking then I am not looking forward to it.
Reply 77
Original post by Lemur14
I've just had a look and I think it's statistics that we do rather than further/additional.

Just received my results from this year, if I feel how I felt this year in 2 years time but multiplied by the number more that I am taking then I am not looking forward to it.

What was your results from this year may I ask?
Original post by JTran38
What was your results from this year may I ask?

B in French (7 UMS off an A)
A in Citizenship Short Course (9 UMS off an A*)
I'm really annoyed about the citizenship as I actually got an A* in the exam (never had before) but because it was worth only 40% and the CA was worth 60% the A prevailed (also my CA got moderated down 4/5 marks by my other teacher which is annoying so it was a high A and it changed to a low A).
French is also annoying because I got 1 mark off an A* (speaking), A* (reading), B (writing, 2 marks off an A) but then an E in listening (1 mark off a D) so I could have got an A if I'd just got a mark or 2 in each section. On the other hand I would expect that to be true in most exams so oh well and I need to just be glad it wasn't any worse.
Reply 79
Original post by Lemur14
B in French (7 UMS off an A)
A in Citizenship Short Course (9 UMS off an A*)
I'm really annoyed about the citizenship as I actually got an A* in the exam (never had before) but because it was worth only 40% and the CA was worth 60% the A prevailed (also my CA got moderated down 4/5 marks by my other teacher which is annoying so it was a high A and it changed to a low A).
French is also annoying because I got 1 mark off an A* (speaking), A* (reading), B (writing, 2 marks off an A) but then an E in listening (1 mark off a D) so I could have got an A if I'd just got a mark or 2 in each section. On the other hand I would expect that to be true in most exams so oh well and I need to just be glad it wasn't any worse.

Congratulations! These are great results. :smile:

Latest