The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JTran38
Congratulations! These are great results. :smile:

cant wait but my school different we are initallly year 9 but year 10 since june for some reason
Reply 82
Original post by G-meg'z
cant wait but my school different we are initallly year 9 but year 10 since june for some reason

My school did something similar where they started the new school year in the last week of term. I guess they do this to ensure you've settled in to the new academic year. However, I'm getting taught GCSE content until September.

P.S: Feel free to introduce yourself to other members who'll be in Y10 in September on this thread. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks, :smile:
Original post by JTran38
My school did something similar where they started the new school year in the last week of term. I guess they do this to ensure you've settled in to the new academic year. However, I'm getting taught GCSE content until September.

P.S: Feel free to introduce yourself to other members who'll be in Y10 in September on this thread. :smile:

What year are u in( or in other words going to)??
Reply 85
Original post by G-meg'z
What year are u in( or in other words going to)??

I'm going into Y10 in September like those who commented on this thread. :wink:
Original post by Lemur14
I've just had a look and I think it's statistics that we do rather than further/additional.

Just received my results from this year, if I feel how I felt this year in 2 years time but multiplied by the number more that I am taking then I am not looking forward to it.

Oh so is it Level 3 Maths Statistics or is it part of the course? Because my Level 3 part just gives us a qualification since it is Level 3 (A-Level) and not Level 2 (GCSE).

I'm sorry that you got bad results. I know how you feel, I passed all my subjects except RS which I really thought I had it in me to at least get a C (got a D, my report is in my profile) and I got an average of a B :frown:. Throughout the whole of Year 9 I was getting A's (aiming for A*s) then went down to a B then to a... D It was soo hard because it was a whole year's work put into one test which we only had 100 mins to do, which was clearly not enough time. I think my weakness is time management in tests and I don't know how I'm going to do in RS in the next 2 years but I am just going to push myself. Never stop motivating yourself, even if you didn't do good it is not be-all and end-all you can still keep going, you have 2 years to pick yourself up again which is a lot of time but it goes fast, similar to the speed of this year. If you want any help feel free to ask, I am sure we have strengths in some subjects you might be struggling at :smile:
Original post by MrMackyTv
Oh so is it Level 3 Maths Statistics or is it part of the course? Because my Level 3 part just gives us a qualification since it is Level 3 (A-Level) and not Level 2 (GCSE).

I'm sorry that you got bad results. I know how you feel, I passed all my subjects except RS which I really thought I had it in me to at least get a C (got a D, my report is in my profile) and I got an average of a B :frown:. Throughout the whole of Year 9 I was getting A's (aiming for A*s) then went down to a B then to a... D It was soo hard because it was a whole year's work put into one test which we only had 100 mins to do, which was clearly not enough time. I think my weakness is time management in tests and I don't know how I'm going to do in RS in the next 2 years but I am just going to push myself. Never stop motivating yourself, even if you didn't do good it is not be-all and end-all you can still keep going, you have 2 years to pick yourself up again which is a lot of time but it goes fast, similar to the speed of this year. If you want any help feel free to ask, I am sure we have strengths in some subjects you might be struggling at :smile:

I think it's just plain old GCSE statistics but I'm not certain.

The results weren't actually that bad, it was the nerves before and then all my class mates were saying they had theirs and my computer and laptop was refusing to open them (eventually they opened on my tablet). And then I thought they were wrong because the number in the mark column was higher than the maximum number of marks (it was the UMS). Between that and my brother tantruming because I asked him to get off the laptop for 5 minutes so I could get the results just made it so stressful and in two years time the stakes will be higher with sixth forms depending on the results just means I don't want to feel the stress of that all put together ever again!
Reply 88
Original post by Lemur14

The results weren't actually that bad, it was the nerves before and then all my class mates were saying they had theirs and my computer and laptop was refusing to open them (eventually they opened on my tablet). And then I thought they were wrong because the number in the mark column was higher than the maximum number of marks (it was the UMS). Between that and my brother tantruming because I asked him to get off the laptop for 5 minutes so I could get the results just made it so stressful and in two years time the stakes will be higher with sixth forms depending on the results just means I don't want to feel the stress of that all put together ever again!

I feel exactly the same way as you do when it comes to exam. You just get the pressure to do well and somehow those nerves just get into your way.
Hiya I am going into Y10 in September, and I'm oddly excited about my GCSES as it offers some challenge to work towards. I rolled on over here from the Year 9 thread.

I am taking
Geography
French
Computing
Simply for its slight links to my future and how much leniency it gives me so I'm not tied down to one career path way. My dream job is either a Aerospace Engineer or Computer/Software Engineer. This new GCSE system sure is baffling though!
Reply 90
Original post by AryanGh
Hiya I am going into Y10 in September, and I'm oddly excited about my GCSES as it offers some challenge to work towards. I rolled on over here from the Year 9 thread.

I am taking
Geography
French
Computing
Simply for its slight links to my future and how much leniency it gives me so I'm not tied down to one career path way. My dream job is either a Aerospace Engineer or Computer/Software Engineer. This new GCSE system sure is baffling though!

Welcome Aboard! :smile: Yes, the new GCSE system that was introduced by Mr Gove was indeed baffling as both students and teachers didn't know much about the changes. I see that you have picked Computing as one of your GCSE options, how are you finding it? Is it with OCR?
Original post by JTran38
Welcome Aboard! :smile: Yes, the new GCSE system that was introduced by Mr Gove was indeed baffling as both students and teachers didn't know much about the changes. I see that you have picked Computing as one of your GCSE options, how are you finding it? Is it with OCR?

Yes it is with OCR, I heard the Syllabus was good and I can't wait to experience it myself
Reply 92
Original post by AryanGh
Yes it is with OCR, I heard the Syllabus was good and I can't wait to experience it myself

I'm finding programming increasingly difficult as I only did Computing last January when I changed from another subject I disliked. The problem I have is that, I'm not taught the basics of programming well enough and that I'm not taught properly by my previous Computing teachers (I had two teachers).
Original post by Lemur14

You should be able to know by September so don't worry if you're not sure yet.

Oh, I think everyone feels those nerves. I remember doing my science internal examinations and having to wait a week until I got all three science results back, other classes were getting theirs earlier and seeing that top sets were doing so well (me being bottom set, you know that bottom set stereotype) I was starting to lose confidence. But the Monday morning was the best, finding out I got 2 A's and 1 B was good, but then later that week Chemistry teacher said she marked a question wrong so everyone go +1 mark which meant 3 A's! I don't have any siblings to wait for so I guess you would call me lucky! They give our reports through the mail. It's a good thing that your results were not that bad, that's what matters! :smile:
Original post by JTran38
I'm finding programming increasingly difficult as I only did Computing last January when I changed from another subject I disliked. The problem I have is that, I'm not taught the basics of programming well enough and that I'm not taught properly by my previous Computing teachers (I had two teachers).

I've already learnt some C++, and believing they'll probably teach an easier programming language so hopefully I'll fly through it :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by AryanGh
I've already learnt some C++, and believing they'll probably teach an easier programming language so hopefully I'll fly through it :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

C++ ? I'm doing Python. :/ Sounds easy but it can get complicated.
Original post by JTran38
C++ ? I'm doing Python. :/ Sounds easy but it can get complicated.

I think once you learn one language, it's almost universal and is near the same with others, I'm going to learn Python with a couple books and then maybe JavaScript before I finish the hols :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was self taught C++

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by AryanGh
It was self taught C++

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good on you :smile: I would struggle on another programming language :P
Original post by JTran38
Good on you :smile: I would struggle on another programming language :P

Thank You :wink:, might I ask what were the other subjects you picked, as well as the other subject you swapped for computing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest